IGNORED

Blackpool away match thread

Thinking draw today, although our ability to start quite fast, it has been excellent this season and also read that Blackpool have a bit of a mini injury crisis, 7 players out.

This was a game I could have gone to tbh, got some friends in North West...better planning and could've combined the two but there will be other opportunities for Saturday away games up there. Burnley in Seprember maybe.

Key q, Weimann fitness? We all know Williams has to be managed quite carefully.

Random aside, dreamt we got a penalty today and Semenyo of all people scored it- hopefully wasn't a consolation goal or such.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
50 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

My first away game this season, as have been working oop north this week.

Not been to Blackpool since Carl Shutt’s debut. He got two in a 3-2 defeat IIRC.

Bloomfield Road was literally falling down at the time.

I think we lost 4-2. Didn’t Shutt score both City goals?

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Quite a few predicting a draw and a handful an away win. They have a similar record to ours, so some optimism is unsurprising.

They were very impressive in attack against Burnley, Yates, Lavery, Bowler being a lively front 3.

Bowler is being talked about as potentially Forest's 93rd (so it feels) signing of the summer.

I'd be more than happy with a draw.

7 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Quite a few predicting a draw and a handful an away win. They have a similar record to ours, so some optimism is unsurprising.

Good Morning all!  (Afternoon here)  I agree, I think a draw is very possible today, looking at the results of both teams. Hopefully our pace and fire power will do them, but it all depends on our defence and midfields form as well.  A hopeful 1 - 2 and a nail biting finish as usual.  So, Come On You Reds!

So, what are City up against today?

Imho a decent “team”, not packed with stars, but a team that has evolved under Critchley initially, now Appleton.

0839B15E-04C7-4A68-AC53-5FABB943CF5A.thumb.jpeg.4ba3112d71dbb3023c56744c1fe3794b.jpeg

The obvious star is Josh Bowler.  Please can someone turn his head with a transfer offer before 2pm today.  Second please, don’t show him inside (from right side) onto his left foot.

Ekpiteta (Heck Potato) is a very good CB, Dougall a very competent and combative (he’s an Aussie) CM and Yates will work his nuts off up top.

Its quite possible Appleton might fancy Gary Madine up-top for this one, he seems to enjoy playing against us.

Sonny Carey is suspended, his appeal against the red card on Maatsen last week was dismissed.

Their playing style may well depend on how we decide the press their keeper and CBs.

Last season:

- at home, we were very structured in our press, so that when their keeper had to go long we were in nicd compact shape to retrieve balls (a bit like Cardiff last season).

- away, we were pressing in a harum-scarem way and pressers were getting picked off and although Pool went long we are strung out and it was too open.

If we take the learnings from early games this season for me the tactic is two fold:

1. dead balls (goal-kicks or free-kicks in their box) press the CBs not the keeper
  2. open play drop into a deeper block and block passing lanes

As per usual down to our players to play well, if they do, a good chance of returning with our recent unbeaten run intact.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I remember a night match sometime in the 90s where CATS ran an early coach so you could have the day up there (something they did a few times for midweek seaside away trips - Brighton was another). Absolutely chucked it down all day and evening and the City fans ended up getting moved from the open terrace to the stand it was so bad. I think we might have won though.

Thinking about it, it lashed down for the whole day we were in Brighton too - maybe that`s why CATS stopped it! That was the famous Gary Sheton 85th minute winner game though so we weren`t too bothered come the finish!

I remember going to Blackpool on that coach, but I thought it was 1988? A night match, thought it was 2-2. Scott McGarvey (?) completely messed up a chance to win the game right near the end when he was clean through. He never recovered from that with some of our fans.

I might be wrong about some or all of this, I've not checked my facts only from memory. I was on the early Brighton coach too.

• Like 1