IGNORED

Blackpool away match thread

It’s not going to be dull this season it looks like.

It's a really good finish for their third, but gave him the chance. Twice behind, no doubt we would have lost more often than not last year from there. Some luck with our third as well.

Disappointing of course how it ended. Still led every match.

Disappointing finish BUT entertaining exciting football from City, 3 goals scored, and an away point.

I'll take this new City, transformation almost done and when we tighten up defensively we're not only going to be exhilarating to watch, we're going to be unstoppable!

Meanwhile no point getting stressed - savour a City side that scores a lot of goals and the almost certain knowledge we're going be just fine this season.

• Like 11
  • Flames 2
1 minute ago, Mr Hankey said:

Absolute zero if we would win the game. Lets not gloss over the fact it was an absolute shit show at the back of that defence all game long…..the one constant in that back line over the past 3 years has been Vyner & its never improved.

I've not been a fan, but he is playing well this season, and until Kalas comes back, there really aren't many alternatives. Basic fact he shouldn't have got the ball in that position, facing the goal, a weak pass and someone pressing on him, always on a loser.

Just watched the replay, King had much more time to put his foot on the ball and have a look, instead played the first time ball back to Naismith who simply should have launched it.

8 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

We just stopped playing and pressing when it went 2-3, surely against Blackpool especially the best form of defence would have been to continue attacking and maybe get a 4th.

That's been our Achilles heel since well before Pearson's time here. Dropping ever deeper just puts us under more pressure and this is only aggregated if we then try and pass in dangerous areas rather than putting it into row z!

Just seen the equaliser again. Naismith plays it sideways in front of Vyner, who is being closed down by Corbeneau. Vyner tries to touch forward, but Corbeneau robs him and powers past and hooks over Bents. Poor ball from Naismith, because there was absolutely no danger. He could have put his foot on the ball, turned and cleared easily.

• Like 1

Let’s not forget Blackpool’s part in this. They did the same to Burnley last weekend. Your classic resilient, workmanlike team who will never say die. Not every team will be so hard to knock the stuffing out of. 

And if we were to play them in two weeks time without the exceptional Bowler we win that game. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’m not scapegoating Naismith, but how many times has he either put us in trouble or got away with it by the skin of his teeth so far?  He’s clearly a very good footballer and does some exceptional things but he has taken some outrageous risks at the back and, as I said after one of the last two home games, he needs to cut out the costly mistakes.

Perhaps he thinks the players around him are better than they actualy are

String of poor decisions leading up to their goal. A few poor decisions from when we took the lead from what I could see from the likes of Williams, Dasilva, James, King etc. These are the experienced pros with multiple seasons of experience at this level - it's very disappointing that some of them don't pull their weight as much as the likes of Conway, Semenyo, Scott. Of course the three of them will go on to play at a higher level if they continue the way they are but you expect a bit more solidity from the senior pros

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Disappointing finish BUT entertaining exciting football from City, 3 goals scored, and an away point.

I'll take this new City, transformation almost done and when we tighten up defensively we're not only going to be exhilarating to watch, we're going to be unstoppable!

Meanwhile no point getting stressed - savour a City side that scores a lot of goals and the almost certain knowledge we're going be just fine this season.

Dont forget we were abject and humiliated at Blackpool only a few months ago. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, cellist said:

String of poor decisions leading up to their goal. A few poor decisions from when we took the lead from what I could see from the likes of Williams, Dasilva, James, King etc. These are the experienced pros with multiple seasons of experience at this level - it's very disappointing that some of them don't pull their weight as much as the likes of Conway, Semenyo, Scott. Of course the three of them will go on to play at a higher level if they continue the way they are but you expect a bit more solidity from the senior pros

Yes, but what a goal from Tommy, and what a goal from Antoine.

May be just me but I can't help but be really positive about this City team.

We're not quite there yet but entertainment and goals at last, and any away point in the Championship is hard won.

• Like 16
9 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Pearson said midweek we are light in midfield. 

Well, given he plays our best and hugely highly rated midfielder at right back, and plays our next best and highly rated midfielder for only a half, to finish the game with 3 old and slow slugs, it’s no wonder we’re light in midfield. 

I missed the first half - why was Massengo taken off? Injury?

Wondering if Pearson could have done anything differently with the subs. Obviously a good call to bring Semenyo on when he did. You can point to Weimann playing at RWB for a while instead of Wilson but would it have made a difference to the goal? Maybe bringing Klose on for Vyner to see things out (but we brought King on to see things out, and look how that went)

2 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

I literally shouted forward when we had it on the halfway line, after that seemed like slow motion knowing what was going to happen 

Same! So what beats me is why on earth professional footballers weren't thinking the same...or shouting the same at each other?

Edited by Red Exile
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Yes, but KIng could have put his foot on the ball and used the ball instead of passing back. He's as much to blame as Naismith, for giving Vyner a hospital pass.

That decision didn't cost us the goal did it?  The decision to pass to a team mate and put him under severe pressure rather than sticking the ball up the other end of the pitch was the issue.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Selred said:

Undefeated in 6. Joint top scorers in the league. Yes frustrating to throw the lead away, but lots to be positive about. Huddersfield mid week, let’s get a result against them and continue progressing.

Yeah, I'm gutted that we're 9th and not 4th which I guess isn't a bad situation