IGNORED

Blackpool away match thread

Just now, Southport Red said:

Dont forget we were abject and humiliated at Blackpool only a few months ago. 

That's one of the positives to take, although collectively they need to work of their 2nd ball defending in the box, 2 of their goals and the majority of the panic came from them winning the first header and then not being competitive enough for or not being able to anticipate the next ball.

Chalk and cheese performance comparing the 2 games though.

Usually quite positive. However;

Too many 5/10 performances today. Lazy and wasteful in possession and it's cost us. Weimann missing much of the game, possibly the knock.

Didn't think much of Blackpool to be honest. They were there for the taking in spells.

Naismith pass put Vyner in trouble, never mind the touch he took was the worst possible he could have taken in that scenario, the latter was literally something you'd see in park football. Shocking. Then gets outpaced and out muscled. Unfortunate as it's undone all the positives I thought he achieved at Cardiff.

Atkinson must improve or he risks losing his place. Thought he was very poor today.

Conway my man of the match, Semenyo, Wells, and Williams did well. Naismith one of the best on the pitch until their third.

DaSilva, Scott, Massengo - on balance all did OK.

Atkinson, Vyner, Bents, Weimann, all pretty poor compared, to at least, their individual standards and what we know they can do.

3 minutes ago, cellist said:

I missed the first half - why was Massengo taken off? Injury?

Wondering if Pearson could have done anything differently with the subs. Obviously a good call to bring Semenyo on when he did. You can point to Weimann playing at RWB for a while instead of Wilson but would it have made a difference to the goal? Maybe bringing Klose on for Vyner to see things out (but we brought King on to see things out, and look how that went)

Klose wasn't on the bench to be fair. Nothing NP could really change to counter their balls into the box. No idea if it's a knock, injury etc.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Well, given he plays our best and hugely highly rated midfielder at right back, and plays our next best and highly rated midfielder for only a half, to finish the game with 3 old and slow slugs, it’s no wonder we’re light in midfield. 

I really don’t get continually playing Scott at right back has to play in midfield for me

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

King had much more time to put his foot on the ball and have a look, instead played the first time ball back to Naismith who simply should have launched it.

Yep, King had space to move it forward. Poor from both our senior players who are there to help manage the game. If we could get rid of these crazy mistakes we have the makings of a very decent team. Short of a strong midfield ball winner and no nonsense CB. The others are decent players but we lack that mental steel and game management from those type of players. Decent result though against a really awkward team, just disappointing not to get 3 points as we looked the better footballing side. Let’s get at Huddersfield and get 3 points on Wednesday. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

That decision didn't cost us the goal did it?  The decision to pass to a team mate and put him under severe pressure rather than sticking the ball up the other end of the pitch was the issue.

That's what I said, use the ball, which King could have done by passing forward, instead he decides to pass back to Naismith who puts Vyner under pressure straightaway.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

That's what I said, use the ball, which King could have done by passing forward, instead he decides to pass back to Naismith who puts Vyner under pressure straightaway.

King did nothing wrong imo.

All down to Naismiths wayward pass and Vyners weakness.

Just now, bcfc01 said:

I didn't see King do anything wrong, decent pass to Naismith who made an horrendous decision to give Vyner a pass which was never on.

But again, why put the ball back when he could have played the ball forward and given Blackpool something to think about. Instead there sub had an easy chance to equalise which he took.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Easy to fix. Stop ******* about with the ball back there with 4 minutes left . Hit the channels , turn them around to face their own goal & see the game out 

In this instance yes but for a very long time we have been making individual errors giving away goals, especially late ones, regardless of who plays.

It is now deep in the psyche. We expect it to happen and it must play on the players' minds, which in turn makes it more likely to happen and on and on it goes.

1 minute ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

But again, why put the ball back when he could have played the ball forward and given Blackpool something to think about. Instead there sub had an easy chance to equalise which he took.

Play a simple ball back with no danger, for them to press and for Naismith to boot it up the pitch giving us a bit more space, in no way is it King's fault, he could have done better to get back to clear it off the line I would agree, but giving it to Naismith who was free is not his fault imo.

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

King did nothing wrong imo.

All down to Naismiths wayward pass and Vyners weakness.

Vyner should never of received the ball . Naismith got to clear that up the pitch . We made some poor decisions back there today . The first , massengo lost his man . The second , Atkinson gives the ball away which leads to the corner which we don’t defend . A bug bear of mine being zonal marking . 

Just now, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Sorry, but there was no need to go back! Where was the pressure on King?

Agree, King had plenty of time & space to move forward with the ball and hit it down the channel for Semenyo to chase, no need to pass back to Naismith. With his experience he should know this. Also surely King could have attempted to hook the shot off the line, it was like he left it thinking it was going wide.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, chinapig said:

In this instance yes but for a very long time we have been making individual errors giving away goals, especially late ones, regardless of who plays.

It is now deep in the psyche. We expect it to happen and it must play on the players' minds, which in turn makes it more likely to happen and on and on it goes.

I agree but its usually a team on top of us trying to get back into the game. We were in total control of this . Frustrating as hell 

• Like 2