IGNORED

All Matches Postponed Until At Least 12/9/22

BUTOR

4 minutes ago, SouthS22 said:

FFS what an absolutely ridiculous decision.   

Wouldn't a show or respect before games all over the country, been a far better way or marking her life this weekend?        

Personally, I'm sorry to hear that anyone has died, but she's had a pretty good life, lived a long time, done some decent stuff, fair play to her, but all this nonsense is madness.  People die every day who have done amazing things in their lives and made huge contributions to society, including at a young age who could have done so much more. 

This is like some throwback to the 1800s.  We all have to doff our caps, do what we're told, kneel before out betters, and enter a period of forced mourning.  If people want to weep and wail about it, ir enough, knock yourselves out.  Likewise if you want to have a period of quiet contemplation, that's up to you.  Me, I want to watch and play football this weekend and I see absolutely no reason why that should all be cancelled.        

Maybe the league wanted a period of quiet contemplation

1 hour ago, Selred said:

I understand it from a respect POV.

I do not understand it from an economic POV. We are in a cost of living crisis, and we are stopping many many businesses generating much needed income this weekend. 

Bristol City will have no match income for a month. Stuff like cashflow actually matters in football. Look at the clubs who have failed to pay players or gone bust. Like you I understand the purpose but I will never understand why EFL seems to prioritise the wellbeing of its members so low in so many of its decisions.

• Like 5

Just now, phantom said:

It is amusing to read 

Some great over reactionary posts on here today 

The game will be played, we'll get over it

Yep. I think they should have played, but am not surprised at all that they aren't and can sort of understand why.

However some of the reactions have been quite eye-opening, particularly from posters who are normally a lot more level headed and rational. I hope for their sake that most of it is performative.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Olé said:

Bristol City will have no match income for a month. Stuff like cashflow actually matters in football. Look at the clubs who have failed to pay players or gone bust. Like you I understand the purpose but I will never understand why EFL seems to prioritise the wellbeing of its members so low in so many of its decisions.

Especially at our level. £100m in TV money for PL probably a different story.

Just now, Chicken George said:

My wife and I were planning on having sex this weekend for the first time in a couple of years. But I’ve called it off now as a mark of respect. 

She had a migrane anyway

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

The will still get the cash flow, the games been postponed not cancelled ffs

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

Yep. I think they should have played, but am not surprised at all that they aren't and can sort of understand why.

However some of the reactions have been quite eye-opening, particularly from posters who are normally a lot more level headed and rational. I hope for their sake that most of it is performative.

Yes pretty much my take on it @Phileas Foggif you really want to know my opinion without the emojis.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Ok great - I am in total disagreement with @BrizzleRed and think it's a complete boomer response.

Boomer? I have heard woke, snowflake and virtue signalling mentioned on twitter but first boomer! 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

The will still get the cash flow, the games been postponed not cancelled ffs

Sorry Monkeh, not quite right.

They will still get the revenue but revenue and cash flow are not quite the same.

Granted SL can fill the void if needed but cash flow is more of month by month thing.

I doubt it will prove decisive or anything but the revenue could also take a hit if rescheduled to midweek, if some refunded who don't go etc.

As @Olé says the clue is in the word 'flow'.

Revenue recognition and cash flow are two very different things.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Sure but it's not that simple is it. Food and drink will have been bought, preparations already started.

Loads of staff no doubt on crap or zero hours contracts with work cancelled when they probably need the money pretty badly right now.

Fans who have made travel arrangements, booked hotels or insanely expensive train tickets. Swapped dates at work.

It's not just a switch you can flick on or off.

Completely see your point, but staff will be paid when the re-arranged games take place.  Sure it will be tough on anybody who isn’t able to get refunds on hotels, travel, etc, but shit happens unfortunately.

We’ve had blanket postponements in the past due to extreme weather, not to mention covid, so this isn’t exactly an unprecedented occurrence.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see next week’s games going ahead as scheduled.

3 minutes ago, Chicken George said:

My wife and I were planning on having sex this weekend for the first time in a couple of years. But I’ve called it off now as a mark of respect. 

Kasey Palmer still about? ?

1 minute ago, Red Army 87 said:

Rugby tickets are on sale if anyone fancies it…

Hang on things aren’t that bad! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Er, is the self entitlement not actually from the ones expecting the country to grind to a halt so they can mourn?

Many of us feel some sadness because someone has died, but want life to continue. It's bizarre that to you that means people would be worse in a war?! What an odd equivalence to make. Pretty sure there's a fair amount of death in a war and you just have to get on with it.

Bizarre post!

Nope, it’s the people stamping their feet and shouting I want my football, regardless of the circumstances!