IGNORED

All Matches Postponed Until At Least 12/9/22

BUTOR

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As for us, yeah unless it's a) London or b) A 'risk game' I don't see the issue. Increasing numbers of games are not policed now, certainly pre Covid and I think people have a fair idea of which might pose significant issues requiring a greater police presence and which won't.

Excuse my ignorance, aren’t all games policed?  Or is there a difference between “policed” and police presence?

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Excuse my ignorance, aren’t all games policed?  Or is there a difference between “policed” and police presence?

I'll give it a go.

It's a while since I've looked in depth but from memory varied football games only have a few spotters and obviously 'stewards' and security.

Depends on category, risk, history etc but again my info could be a bit outdated. Will look a bit further and see what I can find.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

What I’d say is that it seems like the policing pull will be London only - there was a school of thought that there would be scores of people wanting to pay tribute across the UK but this is the aerial view of College Green at the proclamation ceremony today.

Potentially those who want to acknowledge are heading to London, but I think it probably shows that, while no doubt historically momentous, it’s not really the all encompassing event for everyone that has been suggested.

88D50C33-23EB-4703-8705-463DF7DE0EB3.jpeg

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

What I’d say is that it seems like the policing pull will be London only - there was a school of thought that there would be scores of people wanting to pay tribute across the UK but this is the aerial view of College Green at the proclamation ceremony today.

Potentially those who want to acknowledge are heading to London, but I think it probably shows that, while no doubt historically momentous, it’s not really the all encompassing event for everyone that has been suggested.

88D50C33-23EB-4703-8705-463DF7DE0EB3.jpeg

Agree with this and don’t think the Met will be making significant requests from other forces given such a short time period involved. So think it will come down to football authorities being comfortable with London clubs (and their opponents) getting behind more than the rest of the country, as Met likely to say they can’t police other events until after the funeral, but doesn’t seem insurmountable. Football is the big outlier, eg was at the Oval today and hardly any police presence. 

Massive own goal calling football off for the weekend with all the other sports going ahead and touching tributes to her majesty has proved what a poor decision it was , 

I’m sure like the black lives knee farce they were so scared of offending anybody they got the decision totally wrong 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

It's a sad day when policy is dictated by ******* on Twitter. Nothing would have happened at the games, those people are all mouthy keyboard warriors who probably don't attend matches.

I wouldn't waste my time with trawling that cesspit any more than I would read the Bristol City fans Facebook group.

Except Liverpool have (very recent) history of booing the national anthem. If you think that wouldn't have happened you're very naive - Celtic potentially too. There's videos emerging from Ireland, albeit different historical circumstances, of fans singing about her being dead.

At best, some fans may have tried it and others took actions in to their own hands to stop it.

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As for us, yeah unless it's a) London or b) A 'risk game' I don't see the issue. Increasing numbers of games are not policed now, certainly pre Covid and I think people have a fair idea of which might pose significant issues requiring a greater police presence and which won't.

Plenty of police at Blackpool away, not sure that's a particularly risky game - perhaps being the bank holiday?

10 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Except Liverpool have (very recent) history of booing the national anthem. If you think that wouldn't have happened you're very naive - Celtic potentially too. There's videos emerging from Ireland, albeit different historical circumstances, of fans singing about her being dead.

At best, some fans may have tried it and others took actions in to their own hands to stop it.

There were party's in N Ireland celebrating her death. I've Irish friends who have fallen out over it. Idiots 

There is also footage of a TV programme in Argentina where the presenters are opening Champagne, laughing and celebrating her death.

Some sick disrespectful people out there 

45 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Fine. Then we should cancel football anytime a prominent person dies, in case there are potentially people in the crowd who may have disagreed with their views or politics. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

The irony here however is I think they’ve now generated the “Streisand effect” writ large if the narrative of not playing to not have bad publicity of booing is true. By stopping football on the weekend there will be a pocket of people to whom it’s generated resentment, and they may now choose to disrespect the anthem/silence as a type of “protest”.

(These people are idiots btw)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, redkev said:

Massive own goal calling football off for the weekend with all the other sports going ahead and touching tributes to her majesty has proved what a poor decision it was , 

I’m sure like the black lives knee farce they were so scared of offending anybody they got the decision totally wrong 

They let that go ahead though, and people had a right to boo it no matter what others thought of them. Why should this have been any different?

For your point to make sense they would have had to have cracked down on the booers then, surely. In one situation they allowed people to express their opinion, in the other they didn't - that's not the same.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

There were party's in N Ireland celebrating her death. I've Irish friends who have fallen out over it. Idiots 

There is also footage of a TV programme in Argentina where the presenters are opening Champagne, laughing and celebrating her death.

Some sick disrespectful people out there 

You might disagree with them but that doesn't make them sick.

Surely you can understand why some people around the world would have very strong negative feelings towards our country and by extension our monarchy... whether you agree with them or not.

I expect there are a fair few world leaders revered in their own countries we'd both be happy to see the back of!

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 11

21 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

They let that go ahead though, and people had a right to boo it no matter what others thought of them. Why should this have been any different?

For your point to make sense they would have had to have cracked down on the booers then, surely. In one situation they allowed people to express their opinion, in the other they didn't - that's not the same.

You might disagree with them but that doesn't make them sick.

Surely you can understand why some people around the world would have very strong negative feelings towards our country and by extension our monarchy... whether you agree with them or not.

I expect there are a fair few world leaders revered in their own countries we'd both be happy to see the back of!

Celebrating a death, is different to being happy about the passing of someone because of an association with politics. 

I find that behaviour ' sick'. 

They are still a mother and Grandmother. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

Celebrating a death, is different to being happy about the passing of someone because of an association with politics. 

There have been plenty of world leaders that have been parents and grandparents who you would not want to mourn.

Everyone is entitled to their own views, but the present censorship by media (the failure to air anything that suggests anything other than an overwhelmingly positive view of the late Queen) is bound to frustrate those who don’t share those feelings.   I doubt that many people are actually happy about the Queen’s death (yes, that’s ‘death’, not ‘passing’) but there may be many who are disinterested or indifferent, and I’m not sure why their view is any less valid than anyone else’s, whether you agree with them or not.

• Like 14

The EFL fixture programme will return as scheduled from Tuesday 13 September, with tributes to be paid to Her late Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II at grounds around the country.

A minute’s silence will be held before matches, with black armbands to be worn by participants, flags to be flown at half-mast and the National Anthem to be played in stadiums.

With a national policing plan now in operation, the League and Clubs will continue to work with forces in respect of any challenges that may emerge regarding policing of specific fixtures.

Consideration to individual circumstances will be made on a case-by-case basis, in line with standard match Safety Advisory Group (SAG) protocols.

Edited by !james
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

There have been plenty of world leaders that have been parents and grandparents who you would not want to mourn.

Everyone is entitled to their own views, but the present censorship by media (the failure to air anything that suggests anything other than an overwhelmingly positive view of the late Queen) is bound to frustrate those who don’t share those feelings.   I doubt that many people are actually happy about the Queen’s death (yes, that’s ‘death’, not ‘passing’) but there may be many who are disinterested or indifferent, and I’m not sure why their view is any less valid than anyone else’s, whether you agree with them or not.

Totally agree, and I think we should stand with Celtic and Liverpool fans that have been subjected to vile abuse for booing an imaginary anthem at matches that didn't even take place! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don't really want to get into this. Celebrating a death is out of order but I wouldn't expect some parts of the former British Empire to be sad, put it that way.

Can only assume the Argentina thing was Falklands related but would have thought their ire would be aimed at Thatcher not the Queen. Am sure they absolutely hate Thatcher over there.

https://www.barrons.com/news/argentine-reverence-for-queen-elizabeth-marred-by-falklands-memories-01662774307%23

Seems like reaction or views were mixed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

As expected, back on from Tuesday with postponements considered on game by game basis:

I am thinking of going to Burnley, but when will a decision be made? I am a Supporter of queen/king and Country but don't believe football should stop apart from day of funeral

• Like 2

The kids football being cancelled stuff, depends on who you are as to how well it was abided by it seems...

Not that I disagree with a decision to play on at whatever level if a) Safe to do so and b) Adequate respect shown but there is a contrast...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/09/11/eton-college-ignores-fas-ban-football-queens-death/

One rule for one...?

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The kids football being cancelled stuff, depends on who you are as to how well it was abided by it seems...

Not that I disagree with a decision to play on at whatever level if a) Safe to do so and b) Adequate respect shown but there is a contrast...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/09/11/eton-college-ignores-fas-ban-football-queens-death/

One rule for one...?

I walked through Greville Smythe Park at around 9am on Saturday and there were two groups of 15-20 kids there training.

I've obviously forwarded pictures of all concerned on to the police.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I walked through Greville Smythe Park at around 9am on Saturday and there were two groups of 15-20 kids there training.

I've obviously forwarded pictures of all concerned on to the police.

Training yes, match though? Or training pre-game...

Not especially bothered at actually playing on, more that it appears Eton took a different path.

I think the decision to cancel was stupid and unnecessary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

FA said no matches.  No mention that you couldn't have training sessions...

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Training yes, match though? Or training pre-game...

Not especially bothered at actually playing on, more that it appears Eton took a different path.

I think the decision to cancel was stupid and unnecessary.

Aaah fair enough, my mistake - I thought I saw some comments earlier in the thread that people weren't allowed to do training either!

Probably makes my extremely loud rendition of GSTK in their direction seem even more strange now then

• Like 2
  • Haha 2