IGNORED

Burnley away match thread

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Not for me.

We won't win enough games if we keep giving teams 4 shots on target per game and keep conceding at this rate. Have to get that down to 3 per game to give ourselves a chance.

Good that we've scored in every game though.

Our average game over these first 10 is a 2-2 draw. That doesn't get you play-offs in the long run.

I agree with that. I said 10th before a ball was kicked and sticking with that. More than happy to finish 10th whilst playing like we are though 

• Like 1

A disappointing result but not a surprising one, I mean the positives are that we're showing heart and we're showing we can play nice football, the issues are we still can't seem to manage the game when it comes to being pressed back, we have no out in those situations, we still take too long to grow into the game.

The crazy thing is coming off of those last two games, they are both losses and I still feel like we're two players away from a team challenging for promotion. We still lack that midfielder that Burnley have in Jack Cork, someone who offers the back three an easy option to play out of defence when the wide options are not there and who can run the midfield. The other of the two being a centre back who can lead the back three. I honestly thought Naismith was going to be that leader but he doesn't seem to be taking the role and then we have Atkinson and Vyner who are both capable of playing in a back 3 but both neither can lead, with Vyners only remaining flaw based on his improvement is his ball watching when we're in possession. If Naismith could step up and lead the back line and then Williams or Massengo could learn to position themselves in a way that they open up an option in the middle to give the centre backs a better option than a wide ball when it's not on or a hoof I think we'd probably be a serious contender for promotion.

The only other weakness we have is a teamwide issue of sitting too deep and not pushing out when we gain the ball, we play it right back to the opposition and because when we win the ball we don't run forward to push them back regardless of if we win the long ball we'd at the very least keep them from pushing us into our own third where we inevitably give up a goal.

It sounds negative reading my post but realistically one of our three center backs should be capable of taking charge, either Vyner or the one it should be based on age and experience, Naismith. Our midfielders should be able to adapt to linking up the defence to the attack and we should not be sitting back, if we can manage that Nige has turned us from relegation battlers to promotion contenders which is incredible considering how little he's had to work with. 

It's so damn frustrating seeing how close we are but how those few little issues just keep coming back to bite us in the arse.

A day extra to prepare for a relatively short turnaround makes a decent difference. Thought we were more lacklustre than in previous games as a result. Didn’t play well, but kept plugging away and thought they were the best we’ve played so far this season, solid everywhere + some threat. They were really good on second balls, which is Prem sharp minds.  Goals were disappointing, but not in the camp of thinking we’re likely to cut out errors and never concede again, particularly against teams who punish those mistakes. Potentially the two toughest games of the season done and dusted within four days of each other. Happy with what we’ve seen so far, but as ever, lots to work on. 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Unfortunate with 2 hard away games and them having an extra days rest. 

Thought we looked better earlier in the game when we pressed high man for man, when we dropped off and just let them play from the back and dictate the game, they looked much better.

Better side won, we pressed sure but extra man in CM would have become quite telling IMO.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

No real complaints, the schedule did us few favours, two relegated Parachute clubs. Our strikers have scored goals vs these ex PL sides away from home- there will be easier games to come and this two week break comes at a good time probably.

We looked better against Nowrich, but even today a defender gets a nick to stop Antoine scoring and us earning a point.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Not for me.

We won't win enough games if we keep giving teams 4 shots on target per game and keep conceding at this rate. Have to get that down to 3 per game to give ourselves a chance.

Our average game over these first 10 is a 2-2 draw. That doesn't get you play-offs in the long run.

Fair enough. Robbed at Hull and Wigan though remember. And a very late goal at Blackpool. We’ve had a really tough run of away games and are still well in it so I’m very pleased personally. 

We’re fun to watch, and the very least, and what a lovely difference that makes after the last 3/4 years!

• Like 11
  • Robin 1
3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Not for me.

We are the 6th best team on goal difference, so I would say it does get us in the play offs in the long run.

• Hmmm 1
7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

10 games done, and Norwich and Burnley away done which are gonna be two of the hardest games of the season. 

I’ve seen enough to think we’re in for a genuine play offs push this season. 

Agree , two tough games this week. We deserved at least a draw on Wednesday at least, today beaten by a better side but two tough games out of the way. With this side we could be top six contenders , need to cut out the mistakes at the back , let’s not forget our last three home games we’ve won all three without conceding 

Just now, petehinton said:

Fair enough. Robbed at Hull and Wigan though remember. And a very late goal at Blackpool. We’ve had a really tough run of away games and are still well in it so I’m very pleased personally. 

We’re fun to watch, and the very least, and what a lovely difference that makes after the last 3/4 years!

No for sure. We're better. We're excellent at times. As I say above. I reckon 11th when it all shakes out, and I don't think we'll be lower than that very often. Should be a good season, but I don't see us as really maintaining a push for 6th.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, petehinton said:

We look pretty shattered.

Think people are underestimating how hard these games would’ve been, let alone playing them back to back + all that travel. 

The scheduling was brutal. Not sure how it’s fair with Burnley playing 25 miles from home on Tuesday. We lacked much zip today. Fair play to Sunderland who nicked an 87th minute point at Watford after playing at Reading on Wednesday. Blackpool, who also played away Wednesday and Saturday, beaten at Millwall. 

• Like 1

I'm torn as to whether we can launch a playoff push.

On the one hand, there is no truly standout side this year though perhaps Sheffield United are emerging as such. We also are scoring just shy of 2 goals a game.

On the other hand, yeah Naismith risk and reward is a common debate but are we conceding not so much goals but chances to sustain one IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
3 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

The scheduling was brutal. Not sure how it’s fair with Burnley playing 25 miles from home on Tuesday. We lacked much zip today. Fair play to Sunderland who nicked an 87th minute point at Watford after playing at Reading on Wednesday. Blackpool, who also played away Wednesday and Saturday, beaten at Millwall. 

The fixtures come out as they do. There will be other games this season where we have the advantage I’d imagine 

17 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Unfortunate with 2 hard away games and them having an extra days rest. 

Thought we looked better earlier in the game when we pressed high man for man, when we dropped off and just let them play from the back and dictate the game, they looked much better.

Completely agree . Bringing Williams on for Scott slowed that down and they dominated possession.. think massengo could have been a better option of taking Scott off . Ah well- only a 4-5 hour journey back ..