IGNORED

Changing Bristol

Roger Red Hat

10 hours ago, italian dave said:

Yep, remember that too! Fairfax House was the Co-op I think, in the days when they had department stores. And it was the most confusing store I’ve ever been in. You could never work out what floor you were on or how to get out!

My mates dad owned the sports shop in there. He was also heavily involved with Bristol Cycle Speedway, who I think had their track at Whitchurch/Hengrove.

• Like 2

Are you referring to Knowle Stadium? Some great pics here. I think the Wells Road/West Town Lane/Hengrove Lane junction would be roughly where the 2 roads meet to the left of the below picture. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d2c42a2fed8fbf10d2ac07cd5266095e.jpeg

I only discovered that this even existed a few months back to be honest, though maybe common knowledge for a few of you guys.

Along similar lines, as a bit of a racing nerd, it really surprised me to discover that some F2 races were held at Whitchurch Airport in the 50's in what's now Hengrove Park, with a fair few F1 drivers taking part.

• Like 1

On 25/10/2022 at 13:38, Red-Robbo said:

Proof positive to the rose-tinted glasses brigade that the 50s, 60s and 70s were pretty grim. 

I was born in 1964, but when I was a young kid there were still places where bombed buildings had not been replaced since 1940. 

Some great memories there, forgotten about Kings down old market many a time tried to get in to see films I shouldnt have been watching; born in 53 found BCFC 1966 then spent the next the next 20yrs following them all over the country; havent been back for a while what ever happened to The Locarno? and some club up Clifton ah just remembered Hawthorns....I wont mention Globetrotters Whiteladies rd ?‍?

Edited by wtf

1 hour ago, wtf said:

Some great memories there, forgotten about Kings down old market many a time tried to get in to see films I shouldnt have been watching; born in 53 found BCFC 1966 then spent the next the next 20yrs following them all over the country; havent been back for a while what ever happened to The Locarno? and some club up Clifton ah just remembered Hawthorns....I wont mention Globetrotters Whiteladies rd ?‍?

I went to school just opposite The Hawthorns, and still remember several quiet lunchtime pints when I was in the Sixth Form, just relaxing on summer afternoons.

They used to serve a wonderful ‘nutty’ bitter, but I can’t remember what it was called - it was several decades ago, to be fair.

On 26/07/2023 at 09:21, TomF said:

I can only just remember the demo of it all. Paternoster lifts?  Remember going to the galleries maybe a day or two after it being open and all of about 10 stores open.. it seemed amazing at time and yet now it’s a sad almost empty relic of the 80s/90s. Was perhaps already dated by time it opened.    

I loved Fairfax House, so confusing. Do you remember 21st Century shopping? Basically a souped-up Woolworhts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomF said:

So this is a random one but was chatting about it on Skyscrapper -  Can anyone remember the Tesco on East Street - with the Car Park that still exists on corner of Dean Street?   I remember it became 'In Shops' before coming Wilkos.   Am guessing the building will be empty again soon.  I remember my mum always driving into the car park to go shopping around there and I think ? I recall you could still see the old shadow of the Tesco sign and what was originally the lifts down to the store from the car park? 

Can't find any pics.. but anyone remember when it closed?  Guessing possibly around time of the demise of WO Wills factories ? 

Remember it well! Must've closed a good 20 plus years ago I'd imagine. 

On 07/09/2023 at 15:39, CyderInACan said:

Must've been another store - looks like it says Tesco Carpets? But yes, opposite St. Katherine's Precinct

I remember buying a pair of creamy beige cords from Tesco Home n Ware on East Street, probably around 1979. Well,  my mum bought them for me, I loved them. 
Is that Tesco in the picture where Argos used to be? I think the Tesco Home n Ware was further up.

17 hours ago, petehinton said:

Huge loss this, and the ridiculous car congestion charge no doubt a huge reason behind it. Probably mean a risk to all the restaurants around that part of CC too. Sigh. 

According to the article it is something to do with the lease. Sounds ominous, just invested in new seating.

No cinema in South Bristol, Hengrove closing too.

I'm not a fan of Multiplexes but there doesn't appear to be much of an alternative in Bristol, apart from a few independents, if I recall? Watershed, Arnofini, Whiteladies? Probably some more dotted around…

😕

Edited by exAtyeoMax

20 hours ago, petehinton said:

Huge loss this, and the ridiculous car congestion charge no doubt a huge reason behind it. Probably mean a risk to all the restaurants around that part of CC too. Sigh. 

Just to correct one thing: it’s a clean air zone, not a congestion zone.

Pedantic, maybe? But I think it’s an important distinction.

Not only because of different objectives. But also because, unlike a congestion charge, it affects only a small proportion of vehicles. So, whilst it may be one of many contributing factors, I can’t believe it’s one of the more significant ones.

Big loss though, I agree. 

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Just to correct one thing: it’s a clean air zone, not a congestion zone.

Pedantic, maybe? But I think it’s an important distinction.

Not only because of different objectives. But also because, unlike a congestion charge, it affects only a small proportion of vehicles. So, whilst it may be one of many contributing factors, I can’t believe it’s one of the more significant ones.

Big loss though, I agree. 

It sounds like it’s rent increase that’s the big factor, but I’d be amazed if the charge isn’t a large contributor as well.

Me and three mates try and do a cinema night once a month, two of them travelling down from Gloucester area, both of which have cars that have emissions low enough to mean they don’t pay road tax, and adding £9 on top of a ticket/food/parking to go there is totally ridiculous. 

What an embarrassment of travel choice we have made for ourselves under Rees. Pay a £9 charge, get the bus that either won’t turn up/take an hour to go 5 miles/find out that the service has been scrapped, try and cycle in risking your life due to all the roadworks, or use a Tier scooter that are basically unusable at the moment, if you’re even able to get hold of one. Class. 

Edited by petehinton

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

It sounds like it’s rent increase that’s the big factor, but I’d be amazed if the charge isn’t a large contributor as well.

Me and three mates try and do a cinema night once a month, two of them travelling down from Gloucester area, both of which have cars that have emissions low enough to mean they don’t pay road tax, and adding £9 on top of a ticket/food/parking to go there is totally ridiculous. 

What an embarrassment of travel choice we have made for ourselves under Rees. Pay a £9 charge, get the bus that either won’t turn up/take an hour to go 5 miles/find out that the service has been scrapped, try and cycle in risking your life due to all the roadworks, or use a Tier scooter that are basically unusable at the moment, if you’re even able to get hold of one. Class. 

I guess (don’t know the detail) a consequence of the distinction between emissions that cause climate change and the emissions that impact air quality. Another fine distinction, I grant you! But the reason.

I agree that our whole transport policy nationally, car tax, emission zones, incentives and disincentives, public transport, is a complete pigs ear. But that’s not really at the door of our local politicians. And Bristol had no real alternative if it was going to comply with national law and regulation.

And, yes, I suspect that it had more to do with the rent increase, and maybe the current state of Broadmead generally.