IGNORED

Happy 60th Jacki Dziekanowski

3 Peaps In A PodCast

33 minutes ago, redapple said:

One of the great periods of supporting City, not just Jacki and Cole but a great support cast as well. Shame we didn’t have any defenders. 

Not for me - Jacki was a lazy bugger who scored only 7 goals for City. He was a luxury player that City couldn’t afford to carry.

Russell Osman eventually dropped him - absolutely the right decision.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

My memory is a bit hazy, but I remember going to Millwall away, 11th Apr 1992, and it was when we had Ray Atteveld playing for us and he scored a brilliant volley own goal I think.

We had a strike force of Wayne Allison, Jacki, Andy Code and Leroy Rosenior, and we literally just turned it on, and even though I think we went behind in the games, it was one of those performances where you just knew we'd get something from the game. There was a swagger about them.

According to the report below, it doesn't sound like Jacki had a great game, but I just remember thinking what a strike force had available that day.

I genuinely thought that if the club could found a few more quid for a defence, Denis Smith would've taken us up. As it happens, we had the likes of May and Mitchell in defence!!

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-flashback-arsenals-goal-6427292

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not for me - Jacki was a lazy bugger who scored only 7 goals for City. He was a luxury player that City couldn’t afford to carry.

Sorry Robbored...........but if you cannot acknowledge the maverick talent of Jacki, i despair for you, and your lack of appreciation of  an exceptional footballer  ?   Who cares if he was at times lazy?  He gave me so many outstanding memories and out of my seat moments that i forgive him all his faults.

During his 43 appearances, he was entertaining, frustrating, mercurial, inspired and a football magician...........I was at Leicester, when Motson lauded him, and at the home game against Portsmouth when him and Andy C ran them ragged.  Osman's managerial career after he was sacked for his incompetence at City portrays exactly what his level of judgement was like.  (The last i heard of him was his sacking at Newport in 2015, with them bottom of the League, with 5 points out of 30!  Ha!) If you failed to enjoy Jacki's performance's then it says an awful lot more about you  than Dariusz's capabilities........ IMHO.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, beaverface said:

My memory is a bit hazy, but I remember going to Millwall away, 11th Apr 1992, and it was when we had Ray Atteveld playing for us and he scored a brilliant volley own goal I think.

We had a strike force of Wayne Allison, Jacki, Andy Code and Leroy Rosenior, and we literally just turned it on, and even though I think we went behind in the games, it was one of those performances where you just knew we'd get something from the game. There was a swagger about them.

According to the report below, it doesn't sound like Jacki had a great game, but I just remember thinking what a strike force had available that day.

I genuinely thought that if the club could found a few more quid for a defence, Denis Smith would've taken us up. As it happens, we had the likes of May and Mitchell in defence!!

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-flashback-arsenals-goal-6427292

Andy May was a midfielder, & a very good one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Loved Jacki
He was a long way from perfect, but when you handed your money over you knew that if he was on form you were going to get full value. I'm not sure he'd work in the modern game, but I fully enjoyed his time here

Leicester FA Cup, Wolves at home when he was a late sub, the flick over his head whilst running down the wing v Ipswich - just brilliant

36 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Apologies, it was David Thompson.

https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/bristol-city/1993/2/

Told you my memory is hazy! :laugh:

Ironically Andy May was the player that Denis Smith swapped Dave Thompson with from Millwall.

He was an absolute cart horse, my views on Dziekanowski are well known so I’m not bothering with all that again, but Mitchell & Thompson were both truly awful signings & a big reason as to why Smith was given the boot so quickly.

41 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Ironically Andy May was the player that Denis Smith swapped Dave Thompson with from Millwall.

He was an absolute cart horse, my views on Dziekanowski are well known so I’m not bothering with all that again, but Mitchell & Thompson were both truly awful signings & a big reason as to why Smith was given the boot so quickly.

I remember at the time the Bountyhunter running a story as to how the Chancellor was concerned as to the value of the previously stable currency ‘Bryant’, noting that it’s reliability had been effected by ‘…an erratic Thompson and a worthless Mitchell’

2 hours ago, forbespm said:

Never really understood the adulation for jacki.

It’s Roundheads and Cavaliers, mate. People with their heads in the clouds (Cavaliers), and people with their numbers. 

Some people - Round heads - are obsessed with stats, and facts, and figures, and heat maps, and financial fair bloody play, and formations and tactics, and the plain blinking truth of things, while some of us go, or went, to football to be excited and thrilled and to escape dull, mundane reality for a while, perchance to dream. In football, it helps to be a dreamer. Being a Bristol City fan, a lively imagination to disappear off into is essential. 

For about ten minutes, Jacki was our Best, Law and Charlton rolled in to one. True, that ten minutes wasn't at Trumpton in 1992. That's where us dreamers were able to survive by escaping into delusion, while the Round heads were shouting: "Dziekanowski you **** it's 0:4, run around you Polish .....

• Like 4

I was 12 when he left City. First time I’d ever cried about anything to do with football.  What a player. Looking back with a wiser head I’m not sure he was as good as I thought at the time due to his inconsistency but on his day…wow.   The type of player that kids look forward to seeing. Now I’m a grumpy middle aged man, I much prefer a consistent worker than a flair player who plays well one in every three or four games.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

For about ten minutes, Jacki was our Best, Law and Charlton rolled in to one. True, that ten minutes wasn't at Trumpton in 1992. That's where us dreamers were able to survive by escaping into delusion, while the Round heads were shouting: "Dziekanowski you **** it's 0:4, run around you Polish .....

Were we stood together then?

Your memory is far better than mine if so, I thought I was with @77 punk but could have been both of you & @Merrick's Marvels too, of course.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

There are similarities with him and our other "flair" players Lee Trundle and Lee Tomlin, it seems that spark of genius rarely comes with a work ethic the term flawed genius comes to mind.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, phantom said:

There can't be many players around the world that played for such a short period of time in a clubs history yet holds such high status in the clubs supporters memories

Not in mine Phants, at least not positive ones. I do remember him ambling around doing a trick or two which impressed the fans and then blazing over the bar from 30yards. Osman saw thru Jacki right away and dropped him saying “a trick or two and a 30yard shot is not enough”

That was about the only decision that Osman actually got right.

My memories of that period were positive ones about Andy Cole - shame he was only at City for a season before moving to Newcastle - with no add on clause in the deal………He subsequently moved the Man Utd for a massive fee none of which City benefitted from.

Thankfully the days of City being run by well meaning amateurs are long gone.

Edited by Robbored

image.thumb.png.9ea5f99e97541375f96d1842dee35b52.png

Loved Jacki.  I used to have a white long sleeve t shirt with his name down the arm written in the style of the Solidarity movement in Poland.  Players like Jacki, JET, Trundle, and Tomlin (in his loan spell before he signed and came out as a cock) are what going to football is all about.  

• Like 3

Loved watching him (I had one of those white t shirts too!). Agree with all those who say that Jacki was the sort of player who brings the joy and the excitement to watching football. You never knew what you were going to get, but when it was good it was unforgettable. 
We had a big Polish flag we used to take to away games. Always remember that they wouldn’t let us take it into Newcastle, claiming that they didn’t allow flags in the ground. I’ve thought of that every time I’ve seen that huge Toon Army flag ever since. 

• Like 2