Coventry City at home match thread

Just now, Daniro said:

Massengo takes too long on the ball.

Sykes not much of a threat.

Williams useless.

Weimann wasted.

Semenyo drifts too wide.

Incoherent disjointed performance.  

What happened to the zippy, one touch high pressing game we played early on this season? 

Ask Pearson

Vyner, Atkinson, King and Conway only noteworthy shout-outs for me, rest weren't even in the game. 

If you were struggling to sleep, whack that on and you'd hit the hay in no time.

Once teams set out to stifle the formation we play the players in, they don't drop back in and gain yards to get the ball and run at them, it is like statues - i'm just willing someone to go and get on the ball and do something but too many let the game pass them by tonight.

Alex Scott would have a field-day with the amount Cov sat off.

• Like 1
Just now, bexhill reds said:

At least we didn’t lose I guess, reasonably solid for the most part. Vyner, King and Massengo, Dasilva and Atkinson the stand out tonight.

We looked more threatening when Conway came on, for me I’d start him over Semenyo right now, I wonder if teams have worked out a way to handle Semenyo.

I don’t think they can handle Semenyo but pretty much nothing came off for him or anyone else  tonight. 

Agree about Tommy. 
Still a clean sheet, à point and we go on to the next thrilling installment. 

Just now, Tinmans Love Child said:

I remember when we drew with Wigan after a couple of losses it seemed like a poor result, but it's something to build on, and we need clean sheets to build on!  Cov are in a false position as well having played less

They're also unbeaten in 4 now. Slowly working their way into the season after a seriously disrupted start.

Overall that was disappointing and frustrating.

First time this season we have failed to score. We were too slow and cautious throughout and lacked ideas and quality. Coventry certainly created the more clear-cut scoring opportunities so perhaps we should be relieved with a point. For me Rob, Jay, Zak and Han-Noah were decent and Tommy provided a spark when he came on.  

In a nutshell IMO we didn’t do anywhere enough to win a home game and didn’t play with an urgency. For large parts we looked like we preferred not to lose the game rather than driving forward to win it. Last season I suspect we would have lost that 1-0.

0-0 fair result.

A few lessons from tonight...

Scott is so key to linking up midfield and attack, think Semenyo kept coming too deep for the ball because he was getting no service further forward.

Conway needs to start, his positioning in the box is better than any other of our forwards and we missed his closing down too.

Sykes needs to be dropped or tried as the ACM in place of Weimann. Weimann for the 4th match running looked pretty ineffective. Like against QPR Sykes saw plenty of the ball out wide but did not deliver a single decent cross.

Williams was mostly gash (again).

Finally thought Vyner, Atkinson and King all did well, and King at CB for more than half the game after Naismith off injured. Bents too with crucial save when called upon.

5 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

At least we didn’t lose I guess, reasonably solid for the most part. Vyner, King and Massengo, Dasilva and Atkinson the stand out tonight.

We looked more threatening when Conway came on, for me I’d start him over Semenyo right now, I wonder if teams have worked out a way to handle Semenyo.

You think Weimann is worth his place on recent displays?

2 minutes ago, bristol red said:

January window will hopefully see HNM and Antoine Semenyo moved on. They don’t want to be here.. If we can use money to keep Alex Scott and sort defence and midfield then will be worth it going forward.

You reckon?

One probably based on the lack of contract signature, but he still puts the effort it, and Semenyo, think you are wrong there

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It's almost as if we're a middling Championship side who are going to have good days and bad...

Though obviously that's far too nuanced for the numpties who just scream and whine every time we don't win and/or play well.

And it was good to see us make sure we didn’t lose it if we couldn’t win it.

I do think our body language could’ve been better in the last 20 minutes, though. We looked too comfortable with a 0-0 draw and I don’t think we should ever be that really.

With Scott and James both out and Naismith injured, though, no real qualms with the performance. Just lacked any cutting edge, which you can’t say has happened often this season.

• Like 2