IGNORED

Coventry City at home match thread

It was a poor game but i thought we had a few decent performances. Vyner was good throughout, King showed Naismith how to play at the centre of a back 3 without taking risks, Atkinson was solid and Semenyo had a couple of bursts when he was 1 on 1. Oh... and Bents did everything he was asked to do.

Weimann's lack of impact is becoming a bit worrying but we've stopped the rot and on to St Andrews we go.

1 minute ago, harrys said:

You think Weimann is worth his place on recent displays?

He’s not in last season’s form that’s for sure, and was poor last game, but the position he’s playing requires a willing runner, and we don’t have anyone else in that mould. Upto Sat I’d have said give Sykes a go in that role, but Wilson’s 15 min cameo suggests that we’d lose more at right back than we would gain by moving Sykes.

1 minute ago, BCFCGav said:

Our crossing will be the death of me. So many good positions wasted again. Give Pring a go, what does the lad have to do.

Agree, particularly of late, we've put scores in..  Jay gets into good positions but end product is often below average. Skykes doesn't often set to hit an earlier cross and seems to favour pushing into the box. Pring, from the mists of my memory has a decent whipped cross on him from both the byline and early. Not sure Jay deserves to be dropped on his overall play though.

• Like 1

No service to the forwards which has been a trend recently, even with Scott we have struggled to progress the ball at times. Sykes RWB experiment needs to be reconsidered. Defensively, I thought we were decent. Not scoring is a let down with the quality of our forwards being one of the best in the division. I would try Conway-Semenyo-Wells next time. 

Same old problem - Both wingbacks offer nothing.

Its been a problem we have had for a few seasons.

Against a poor side and with plenty of the ball they both offered very little.

JD was slightly better but delivery is general poor.

Neither beat there man on the outside and either wipe in from deep or cut back.

Either they offer something going forward or we go 4 at the back and have the extra man in midfield of going forward.

Kalas, James, Scott when they are in will make us a much better team.

Full back no one knows who are best 2 are - that says it’s a area we need to improve - some in and some out.

For me

Vyner, King & Atkinson decent

Weimann - wasted, so many good positions but never found 

JD decent

Sykes patchy

Conway, see Weimann 

AS, just not his night, drops too deep

HNM better than often

Nakhi -  Weimann impression, ran a lot but never found

Williams, I really like Joe, but tonight he was in ‘liability mode’

Bents very good when needed but mostly a spectator. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

He's got his next Pearson Out thread ready and waiting to go as soon as he thinks he can get away with it.

Well he was starting to win me over but I did say I would wait for a few more games before giving him my support.......and unfortunately last 4 games have shown me that I can't commit to him yet as he is inconsistent with some poor performances, strange team choices and weird substitutions. 

Last thing I want is another streaky manager such as Lee Johnson.

• Haha 1
Just now, Top Robin said:

Well he was starting to win me over but I did say I would wait for a few more games before giving him my support.......and unfortunately last 4 games have shown me that I can't commit to him yet as he is inconsistent with some poor performances, strange team choices and weird substitutions. 

Not sure about weird subs tonight. Naismith was forced on us and, much as I like Antoine, I thought Tommy improved us tonight. 

• Like 1

Imagine you’re not very good at something. Let’s say sewing. 

When you first start you’re shit all the time. you wonder why you bother because you’re shit week in, week out. 

After a little time, you start to to improve. You start to get a perfectly neat stitch. But  no matter how much you improve, there’ll alway be the odd regression back to when you couldn’t sew. Learning to sew takes time. 

It’s only when you become one of the elite operators of the sewing machine that you eradicate all poor performances and only then can you call yourself a top sewer(!!!)

Therell be good days, there’ll be bad days and there’ll be indifferent days. But so long as you’re generally on an upward trajectory then it’s nothing to lose sleep over. 

We’re miles better at sewing than we used to be. We weren’t Jean Paul Gaultier tonight (I know he’s not a sewer - but he’s the best I can think of), but we weren’t at last years standard. 

Cheer up all. If this is the general reaction to a reasonably ok draw, then it shows how far we’ve come. ? 

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

When you first start you’re shit all the time. you wonder why you bother because you’re shit week in, week out. 

After a little time, you start to to improve. You start to get a perfectly neat stitch. But  no matter how much you improve, there’ll alway be the odd regression back to when you couldn’t sew. Learning to sew takes time. 

It’s only when you become one of the elite operators of the sewing machine that you eradicate all poor performances and only then can you call yourself a top sewer(!!!)

Therell be good days, there’ll be bad days and there’ll be indifferent days. But so long as you’re generally on an upward trajectory then it’s nothing to lose sleep over. 

We’re miles better at sewing than we used to be. We weren’t Jean Paul Gaultier tonight (I know he’s not a sewer - but he’s the best I can think of), but we weren’t at last years standard. 

Cheer up all. If this is the general reaction to a reasonably ok draw, then it shows how far we’ve come. ? 

Trying to think of a joke based around a ***** on a finger but can’t ?

Just now, i_am_red said:

I could have swore Williams was booked tonight? Was that not the case? (had a couple of quid on him to be booked when he came on!)

Yes he was booked for a tackle twenty minutes after the ref blew a whistle. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Yes but it looks like we have reached the peak of our sewing skills with the ability to darn a sock rather than tailor a shirt.

10 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

So basically if a manager has a run of any more than 2 or 3 games without a win you're going to have doubts?

In that case I'm not sure that there's any manager that Bristol City could attract that would satisfy you.

3 points would have been nice but settle for 1 to stop the mini slide. Coventry are on a decent run so wasn't going to be easy.

We were 2nd favs to be relegated when the season started and rightly so after last season's crap so we have massively outperformed expectations so far. Any City fan would have settled to being 9 points off the top after 12 so we have to be happy. 

3k travelling fans to Birmingham in Saturday says it all. City are back. Hello !

Lack of pace, power and invention out wide. Painful to watch some of that tonight, as I think we are asking players to do things they don’t have in the locker, specifically Sykes and Dasilva. Sykes drop off in quality is startling, and JD just offers so very little against a deep defence. 

but lack of squad depth is a fair reason for this - however would Pring and Wilson have offered more, would be nice to see, specifically last 30 mins today when it was obvious that the lads on the pitch couldnt create. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

If you are struggling to think of a sewer, what about Joey Barton??.

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

And it was good to see us make sure we didn’t lose it if we couldn’t win it.

I do think our body language could’ve been better in the last 20 minutes, though. We looked too comfortable with a 0-0 draw and I don’t think we should ever be that really.

With Scott and James both out and Naismith injured, though, no real qualms with the performance. Just lacked any cutting edge, which you can’t say has happened often this season.

100% agree with that.

Cov were pulled up for offside c90 mins and Bentley showed all the urgency of an away keeper running the clock down rather than get the ball upfield.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Just got home, quick question to those that watched it on tv or on Sky news. Did we get away with a handball on the line?

I only saw the ball cleared off the line and thought Cov were arguing about it crossing the line.

No. AW tried to handball it but missed. Sykes headed it onto the bar. No handball

• Thanks 2