IGNORED

Worth reading………….

Robbored

I thought it was absolutely pathetic.

The way he attempted to brush off the question about his team being a bunch of underachieving total piss heads completely summed him up.

Apparently the reason we never went up was that we were repeatedly “very, very unlucky”.

What a bluffer he was.

• Like 10
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

15 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

I like Danny Wilson, but I can’t believe he’s had eighteen years and that’s the best he can come up with to explain the Lita decision. The lad had been on the bench every game, he’d came on as sub thirty odd times?, he’d been involved in the comeback in the semi, you then get to the final, your top scorer is out injured.. and you leave him out. Madness.

As I say I like him, but I fail to believe anybody leaving Cardiff that day didn’t know time was up. Four years managing City in that league not getting promoted, the utterly pathetic performance that day. Time to go. 

It was patently obvious to everyone in the stands, but not apparently the manager, that Lita was a class above.

This isn't the first time we've seen this. A manager picking his mates, the people he knows best, and sidelining young talent. 

It's not something you could accuse Pearson of, which might be why he's achieved so much more in his career than Wilson has. 

I liked Danny as a person, but as a manager, we needed better. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A bland and uninteresting take on his time in BS3.....good bunch of lads/unlucky/just couldn't get over the line blah blah. Thanks due to the Bristol Post though for we now know not to waste any money on 300 more pages of this rubbish.

After a good start to his managerial career with Barnsley he spent the next 20 years meandering through the mostly lower leagues achieving just one promotion from the bottom league in all of those 20 seasons.

He was deservedly sacked by Lansdown - and by almost every other club he subsequently managed - and if it wasn't for RR's obsession we'd have all forgotten about him years ago.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

The way he attempted to brush off the question about his team being a bunch of underachieving total piss heads completely summed him up.

Apparently the reason we never went up was that we were repeatedly “very, very unlucky”.

What a bluffer he was.

I have to admit, I was ready to completely disagree but you could have a point.

I had it in the back of my mind that we got a high points tally in both the years we missed out, considering we finished 3rd. That was wrong.

Looking back, we would have been considered very lucky to finish second with 82/83 points - this has happened 9 times since 3 points for a win came in. I appreciate the context is different when more promotion places were available but ultimately the football was exciting, but too gung-ho. We lost too many games to get promoted, we may have been unlucky at times but "best of the rest" sums up our time under Wilson.

I think bluffer is harsh, he was the tonic to Pulis that we needed and I enjoyed watching City 95% of the time. Unfortunately for us, the other 5% were the key games that cost us promotion - it was ultimately the manager's job to fix that.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

A bland and uninteresting take on his time in BS3.....good bunch of lads/unlucky/just couldn't get over the line blah blah. Thanks due to the Bristol Post though for we now know not to waste any money on 300 more pages of this rubbish.

After a good start to his managerial career with Barnsley he spent the next 20 years meandering through the mostly lower leagues achieving just one promotion from the bottom league in all of those 20 seasons.

He was deservedly sacked by Lansdown - and by almost every other club he subsequently managed - and if it wasn't for RR's obsession we'd have all forgotten about him years ago.

SL has never revealed why he sacked Wilson given how close City had got to promotion……..……..:dunno: I guess we’ll never know.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1

41 minutes ago, Always Believesham said:

I have to admit, I was ready to completely disagree but you could have a point.

I had it in the back of my mind that we got a high points tally in both the years we missed out, considering we finished 3rd. That was wrong.

Looking back, we would have been considered very lucky to finish second with 82/83 points - this has happened 9 times since 3 points for a win came in. I appreciate the context is different when more promotion places were available but ultimately the football was exciting, but too gung-ho. We lost too many games to get promoted, we may have been unlucky at times but "best of the rest" sums up our time under Wilson.

I think bluffer is harsh, he was the tonic to Pulis that we needed and I enjoyed watching City 95% of the time. Unfortunately for us, the other 5% were the key games that cost us promotion - it was ultimately the manager's job to fix that.

Thanks & I agree about him being a good choice after Pulis, but he got 4 full seasons & the progress under him was glacial, plus reading his comments he is still in a total state of denial about the culture, which anyone who drink in the centre around this time will know was absolutely disgraceful.

Just to pick up on your 95% point, 2002/3 was excellent, Murray scored for fun, but even though we made the playoff final the year after, the football was truly shit.

Champions Plymouth (!) scored nearly as many goals at Home Park as we did home & away, we were a boring, negative side trying to eek out 1-0 wins.

• Like 2

I loved the brand of football under Wilson, the Tinnion-Murray combo was the nuts. But I used to see Phillips, Coles, Miller, Lita out in town loads back then, as well as Peacock and Matthews in Portishead. They were a team of piss artists. The time was right for him to move on and the bigger issue is SL’s long list of largely bad appointments ever since IMO. 

2 minutes ago, tin said:

I loved the brand of football under Wilson, the Tinnion-Murray combo was the nuts. But I used to see Phillips, Coles, Miller, Lita out in town loads back then, as well as Peacock and Matthews in Portishead. They were a team of piss artists. The time was right for him to move on and the bigger issue is SL’s long list of largely bad appointments ever since IMO. 

I enjoyed it too...but like you say, it seemed every time you went into town you'd see a player on the piss.

It was the same in the players lounge after games as well...everyone on it.

What we have to remember though, is back then, many clubs still had a drinking culture. That's what it was like at the time. So it wasn't just us.

Peacock could seriously put them away. 

• Flames 1

Just now, spudski said:

I enjoyed it too...but like you say, it seemed every time you went into town you'd see a player on the piss.

What we have to remember though, is back then, many clubs still had a drinking culture. That's what it was like at the time. So it wasn't just us.

He wasn’t the only one - several of that squad used to drink in my local pub. Scott Murray got more profane the more pints he sank.

The landlord threatened to ban him because of it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

SL has never revealed why he sacked Wilson given how close City had got to promotion……..……..:dunno: I guess we’ll never know.

Man doesn't hit target set by boss, and his team constantly get drunk, gets sacked. No real shock is there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Not much of interest to me in this article. Wilson got sacked because he failed to get us promoted over a period of years despite large amounts of money spent. Indiscipline in the squad was a big problem and it grew under Wilson. Nothing in his career since his time with us would suggest we've missed anything. Admittedly his side could be entertaining, but ultimately it failed and Wilson's time was rightly up.

That said, although I think Lita should have started in preference to journeymen like Roberts or Miller it wasn't the only reason we failed that day. Tinman, for example, has always made much of the Lira omission although he himself was totally invisible that day, eventually taken off. Have never heard Tinman or anyone else own up to their own poor performances that day - all much easier to hide behind the Lita decision.

Edited by Calculus

3 minutes ago, Strictly Obi said:

Gary Johnson achieved what Wilson couldn't ?

He did, & so did Ward & Cotterill.

Took over after a season started, then won promotion in their first full one.

Didn’t spend 4 years only to end up where we started.

Obviously all 3 of them weren’t “very, very unlucky”..

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

56 minutes ago, spudski said:

That’s true but as a comparator during this time Plymouth under Sturrock won back to back titles to go straight from League Two to the Championship.

I’m sure a few of their players fancied a beer too but he achieved far more in a shorter time at a club that has the hardest of all jobs to attract players.

The fact that Wilson still gets annoyed by the question & won’t accept he had a team that contained a large number of drunks is very revealing, no self awareness at all.

Just now, GrahamC said:

That’s true but as a comparator during this time Plymouth under Sturrock won back to back titles to go straight from League Two to the Championship.

I’m sure a few of their players fancied a beer too but he achieved far more in a shorter time at a club that has the hardest of all jobs to attract players.

The fact that Wilson still gets annoyed by the question & won’t accept he had a team that contained a large number of drunks is very revealing, no self awareness at all.

In fairness, though, he still lived in Chesterfield throughout his time here and wasn't really that present for a lot of it. Proper manager.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, GrahamC said:

Yes, when reading the article, he  doesn't come across very well.

Some people are like that...they just think they are right regardless of hindsight.

It's pretty telling imo

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Nige is a proper manager - remind me where GJ is managing these days…………..:dunno:

And where is Danny Wilson managing?

Here are the facts:

DW failed to get city promoted in many attempts despite a huge budget and talented squad. 

GJ not only got city promoted in his first full season but then got us one game from the Prem. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Nige is a proper manager - remind me where GJ is managing these days…………..:dunno:

We're talking about the relative merits of 2 successive City managers. What either of them is doing now is neither here nor there. Wilson could be managing in the Premier League now and he would still have been a failure with us.

I'm still waiting for a cogent argument from you though, based on evidence rather than your odd obsessions, as to why Wilson was more successful with us than Johnson. I'm not holding my breath.

I think the consensus of opinion at the time of his sacking was that Wilson was looking for more funding for players for the next season to finally get us over the line but SL wasn't prepared to invest more money especially after the amount he had already given Wilson in previous campaigns. Coupled with the hugely underwhelming play off final defeat and the emerging player coach role for Tinnion I think SL thought a fresh look was needed.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, chinapig said:

We're talking about the relative merits of 2 successive City managers. What either of them is doing now is neither here nor there. Wilson could be managing in the Premier League now and he would still have been a failure with us.

I'm still waiting for a cogent argument from you though, based on evidence rather than your odd obsessions, as to why Wilson was more successful with us than Johnson. I'm not holding my breath.

Wilson’s record at City shows that he achieved bugger all but played very attractive, free flowing football during his entire reign and I’m convinced that had he stayed the following season that he’d have got us promotion.

GJ did achieve promotion but did it by playing painfully dour football to achieve it.

I asked earlier where GJ is managing now? but nobody has told me…………:cool2:

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Wilson’s record at City shows that he achieved bugger all but played very attractive, free flowing football during his entire reign and I’m convinced that had he stayed the following season that he’d have got us promotion.

GJ did achieve promotion but did it by playing painfully dour football to achieve it.

And. despite being five years younger, what is Mr Wilson doing with his time these days? Assistant to Klopp? DOF at Man City? Or just sitting on his arse moaning about what happened to him twenty years ago?

• Like 1

Just now, Lanterne Rouge said:

And. despite being five years younger, what is Mr Wilson doing with his time these days? Assistant to Klopp? DOF at Man City? Or just sitting on his arse moaning about what happened to him twenty years ago?

DW has pretty much retired from management - enjoying time with his grandkids.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s not true though is it.  Virtually everyone on here will say he changed the way we played to anything but free-flowing at the end.

• Like 8
  • Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I guess I will have to settle for your admission that Wilson was indeed a failure even if it is followed by a hypothetical claim that he would have got promotion next time.

Everything else is irrelevant.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s not true though is it.  Virtually everyone on here will say he changed the way we played to anything but free-flowing at the end.

No, but like his “every manager has been sacked apart from Klopp” nonsense, he just changes the subject then.

As @The Journalist & I had both pointed out, his final season was a real grind, we were a low scoring, attritional side, as opposed to free scoring, title winning Plymouth, but as Jack Nicholson memorably said, some people “can’t handle the truth” 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I guess I will have to settle for your admission that Wilson was indeed a failure even if it is followed by a hypothetical claim that he would have got promotion next time.

Everything else is irrelevant.

Just the same as every other manager that SL sacked.

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Could it be he’s accepted that he’s more successful as a grandparent than as a football manager?

Denying reality in an interview could be just face-saving, but if he really believed in hs ability that much, he’d have probably carried on in management.

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Retired as in nobody would offer him a job, unlike GJ. Anyhow, he seems to have time to 'write' a book ignoring any of his many shortcomings. Not a proper author.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Calculus said:

Retired as in nobody would offer him a job, unlike GJ. Anyhow, he seems to have time to 'write' a book ignoring any of his many shortcomings. Not a proper author.

I know that bookshops are becoming a thing of the past, but it has long boiled my piss that 'proper authors' can't get shelf space due to 'Celebrity ****' autobiographies. ?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Just the same as every other manager that SL sacked.

I wouldn't have thought it was possible for you to get more irrational but here you are claiming that managers who won promotion were failures because they were sacked at a later point. By that logic Alan Dicks was a failure.

It's never too late to learn critical thinking. This correspondence is now closed.?

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I wouldn't have thought it was possible for you to get more irrational but here you are claiming that managers who won promotion were failures because they were sacked at a later point. By that logic Alan Dicks was a failure.

It's never too late to learn critical thinking. This correspondence is now closed.?

Oh...?

Don't close it... let's have fun.

It's not so much 'feeding' as 'exposing'.

?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Robbored said:

DW since being sacked from under achieving with us.

MK Dons - Relegated, sacked.

Hartlepool - Promoted, sacked.

Swindon - Lost play offs final (again), sacked.

Sheff Utd - Lost play offs final (again, again), sacked.

Barnsley - Sacked.

Chesterfield - Sacked.

1 promotion, 2 play off finals lost, 6 sackings.

GJ since leaving us:

Peterborough - Sacked.

Northampton - Sacked.

Yeovil - Play off final (WON) = Promotion. Highest ever position for Yeovil.

Cheltenham - Promotion, sacked.

Torquay - Promotion.

So that's 3x promotions, and still in a job. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

What a bluffer he was.

Utter rubbish....  We were repeatedly very, very unlucky...... 

....Very, very unlucky that his team were a bunch of underachieving total piss heads!

This bloke allowed a culture of excess throughout a very talented team. It’s as if it was a conscious decision to allow a culture that most supporters knew was as unprofessional as it could get on the basis of team bonding, when in reality it was like strapping a lead weight to those with limited ability to act like a competitive sportsman

The whole era culminated in that god awful performance in Cardiff where my best mate who came looked at me at the end and said ‘they never showed up’. Of course they did show up and were terrible, the bloke who didn’t show up was Leroy Lita as the manager didn’t bloody pick him even for the bench. The sight of throwing Luke effing Wiltshire on to chase a goal in the final seconds summed the whole period up for me. The bloke was saying in the press beforehand it’s a must win and afterward said ‘it’s not the end of the world’

I will not forget my old man’s face as we left the ground after watching THAT looking to me and saying ‘they have let us down again son’ 

I will read the comments on here, but Wilson can ram books and with others can ram any podcasts. I was there for all of it. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

No, but like his “every manager has been sacked apart from Klopp” nonsense, he just changes the subject then.

As @The Journalist & I had both pointed out, his final season was a real grind, we were a low scoring, attritional side, as opposed to free scoring, title winning Plymouth, but as Jack Nicholson memorably said, some people “can’t handle the truth” 

Yep, if Robbored had said we have a couple / few seasons of good football, but his final season was a bit of a grind, I think most would accept that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, if Robbored had said we have a couple / few seasons of good football, but his final season was a bit of a grind, I think most would accept that.

I remain unconvinced about that - City reached the play off final that season. That particular season couldn’t have been such a grind as some make out.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I remain unconvinced about that - City reached the play off final that season. That particular season couldn’t have been such a grind as some make out.

So, you move the goalposts and correlate League position to being enjoyable to watch…when it’s Danny Wilson, but when it’s another manager, you don’t.

That sums up your argument basis really.  

• Like 10
  • Flames 3

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So, you move the goalposts and correlate League position to being enjoyable to watch…when it’s Danny Wilson, but when it’s another manager, you don’t.

That sums up your argument basis really.  

For me football is all about being entertained regardless of a win, draw or defeat. DW provided that entertainment and GJ did not.

Thats always been and will remain my argument.

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It was an absolute grind for large parts - I was at every game that season, home and away, so I know. I was there.

The 11-match winning run, during which we regularly got out of jail with late winners, was a complete anomaly and dragged us from being a mid-table team. 

During the seven games after that run ended we lost five and scored just three. That was more like the City we saw for most of that season.

It was in complete contrast to the season before, during which we WERE free-scoring, free-flowing and played some of the best football in my lifetime. That team wasn't that dissimilar to Pearson's side now - great going forward but shocking at the back. It was bloody good fun though.

In two games we conceded six goals to the team who finished bottom, for goodness sake! Thankfully we scored 10... 

But I know you'll continue to ignore me on this, @Robbored, because you've lost your mind.

• Robin 1

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

For me football is all about being entertained regardless of a win, draw or defeat. DW provided that entertainment and GJ did not.

Thats always been and will remain my argument.

You’re so bitter and twisted. 

For me the difference between DW & GJ is this, DW gave me one of the worst, gutting days in my life and GJ gave me one of the best days in my life. 

GJ brought back a club that was in a complete mess where we had players who were completely taking the piss out of the club and us as supporters. The rot started with with drinking culture that was allowed to fester under DW’s watch. But hey, wasn’t it nice watching us play nice football just to completely bottle it at the business end of the season. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Superjack said:

I know that bookshops are becoming a thing of the past, but it has long boiled my piss that 'proper authors' can't get shelf space due to 'Celebrity ****' autobiographies. ?

Ain't that the truth. Well do I remember Jade Goody's autobiography getting to number one bestseller. OMFG!

• Sad 1