IGNORED

Birmingham City away match thread

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well our record is more varied but I won't get into that now.

It wasn't really the International break this time, we also lost to Norwichand Burnley granted played well at Norwich.

Did the mid September postponement kill our momentum a bit? Clutching a bit granted.

dont think your clutching as myself and my mates said the same at the time

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

Agree with Bamba and a high line, however if we haven’t got the players to play the high line…it’s the managers job to put a system in place that can work even if it’s just a temporary measure until certain players come back from injury

We will continue to get dicked if we persist with King at the back. He isn’t good enough for this level in his natural position ….let alone in a position that he isn’t comfortable in 

I thought King was okay Tuesday but definitely not in a back 3.

Who would drop out of the back 3 when all fit?

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

That was as bad as it gets. 

Every corner or set piece we looked like conceding. First half we were just hitting long balls to the front two which was a complete waste of time. Offered zero going forward.

2nd half we had 5 minutes of pressure but apart from that we looked like conceding a lot! Could have been 5-0 today. Few notes on some player…

Bentley - some good saves but also can’t command his box and 2nd gol was a joke. 

King - dreadful.
Vyner - many aimless long balls.

Atkinson - Like Weimann, gone off boil.

Sykes - bottled quite a few challenges.

Massengo - think we could do with offloading asap. Offers nothing.

Weimann - looked off pace for weeks.

Kadji - out of his depth.

Pring - actually looked ok!

Well if the 2nd was Bentley's fault then he was at fault for all 3.  Came off his line with no conviction for the 1st but routed to the line for the 3rd. With 2 decent keepers in reserve, it seems like he needs a rest to me.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
1 minute ago, The Bard said:

Well if the 2nd was Bentley's fault then he was at fault for all 3.  Came off his line with no conviction for the 1st but routed to the line for the 3rd. With 2 decent keepers in reserve, it seems like he needs a rest to me.

Yeh he’s definitely an issue for this - I mean we didn’t win first header once but he doesn’t help. 

That was really depressing.  Relegation form without question. Birmingham practically had their slippers on and the cigars out.  So easy.  

I think Pearson has done some good things, but the defensive issues are a massive problem that he just seems capable of addressing. Kalas may make a difference but anyone who thinks playing King at centre back alongside Vyner against a physical side like Brum needs to have a word with themselves.  That team selection had beaten by goals from set pieces written all over it. 

Hopefully we can bounce back mid week, we are now in desperate need of a performance to build on.  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, big dosser said:

dont think your clutching as myself and my mates said the same at the time

Timing and momentum can be pivotal in football.

Such a good run, scoring for fun...Preston at that time not many goals at either end but a draw might have kept us ticking over.

While Norwich would have had a tough game both match and travel wise from Burnley on the Friday night.

Burnley travel not much but Norwich at home, Preston away would have been a challenge.

Focusing purely on us, we were badly disadvantaged in that little period IMO. Not the sole resdom by any means but it fid not help one bit.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I was extremely sceptical when I saw some fans saying we’re good enough for the top six. You’ve only got to see how easily we concede (and our small squad) to conclude we were always far more likely to be battling to avoid being sucked into a relegation fight. 

I hope we we’ll be ok. We were missing a few today. But this is going to be a brutal Championship this season - no obviously dire sides. All competitive. Capable of a result. So are we. But a couple of teams (perhaps three) are going to think they’re a bit unlucky to go down. I hope it’s not us. 

Today’s performance, though, was a relegation performance. 18th, I see. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Nige wanted one, but for whatever reason being either finances, availability or other deals not going through it didn’t happen. 

The analysts might be on the case for one in Jan, got to hope so

Why recruit Sykes and a keeper over a centre half and midfielder we have been screaming out for.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Do you think they are queuing up to be manager of Bristol City in the current state it is in?

Cooper looks to be struggling a bit at Forest, should we try to tap him up or something?

Can you at least give us a name or two of the typre of manager you believe we should replace him with?

Notts have just given the George Clooney lookalike a new 3 year deal, so that won't be happening.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Timing and momentum can be pivotal in football.

Such a good run, scoring for fun...Preston at that time not many goals at either end hut a draw might have kept us ticking over.

While Norwich would have had a tough game both match and travel wise from Burnley on the Friday night.

Burnley travel not much but Norwich at home, Preston away would have been a challenge.

Focusing purely on us we were badly disadvantage in that little period IMO.

have to agree %100 just hope we can pick up a few results quick.i feel this league is a strange one this year as a few wins puts you up amongst it but a few defeats and your down there.i was taking the mick out of a keen cardiff and swansea fans who live by me 3 weeks ago when we catch up on a sunday morning walking the dogs.how that has change the dogs can have a runaround in the garden tommorrow?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

Do you think they are queuing up to manager Bristol City in the current state it is in?

Can you at least give us a name or two of the type of manager you believe we should replace him with?

This is the issue of those espousing Pearson to be sacked. There is utterly no point doing so if the prospective appointment is Jason Euell.

All well and good wanting him replaced, but there aren't may many managers I'd be gunning after at the minute and no matter what we do its a risk - Personally - I wouldn't mind Wilder in spite of what happened at Boro, but aside from that I have no clue, at best probably the likes of Rob Edwards - but we would have to be able to beat out the likes of Boro, Cardiff, Huddersfield, and Hull, among others, who are all mostly in a better and more flexible situation than us from an FFP standpoint.

All of a sudden the next two games are of much more importance.

The other issue is just how many players are out of contract again next season - slightly concerning that there's been no update with regards to the like of Bentley and DaSilva's contracts, It's basically another reset.

If we're going to change, make the decision after Millwall, no excuse to not get 3 points from the next two fixtures at minimum.

• Like 2
Just now, Better Red said:

Why recruit Sykes and a keeper over a centre half and midfielder we have been screaming out for.

We don’t know what went on behind the scenes, we don’t know what budgets were available, what bids were made that were rejected, what agent conversations resulted in non affordable wage demands being made. The club has never made any of their dealings public unless successful, nor do they tend to publicise fees.

Clearly the risk of FFP points deductions were a concern at the time.

As an after thought argue that a keeper is very much needed right now.

25 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Clearly the risk of FFP points deductions were a concern at the time.

Sorry to add potential bad news but I still fear we might be exceeding limits and facing one albeit a small one. That said if we are lower midtable then it could be a good season to get through it, if such a time ever exists so long as we are not in a tight position up or down the League.

Unless we have been definitively pubicly cleared and I've missed it?

If you have the good news in this area, please share in so far as you can!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
30 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I would say he needs more than a rest. Bentley is vastly overrated IMO. I also believe he has poor defenders in front of him but a lot of goals conceded are preventable if we had a keeper that is better than Bentley. Doing star jumps and punching the ball with both fists don’t do it for me, commanding the area and catching the ball is a better attribute in my book. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1