IGNORED

Birmingham City away match thread

Bentley , great shot stopper & 1 on 1. But scared to leave his line & his no help to defence on corners.

Naismith has made some real bad errors this year, but is massively important in getting us to play through the thirds.

Pearson maybe CAN only take us so far. But with the financial constraints he has worked under, I'm not sure anyone else would have done much better with this group. He doesn't undercut passes , or lump the ball out of play. He would have set them up the same as before the break. They look like they did 18 months ago, no confidence and no one wants to hold onto the ball.

Scott was OK, Wells worked hard and Bentley pulled off a couple of saves. Apart from that, not one of the starters deserved praise for anything. Semenyo looked a threat , Khadji looked tidy but it's hard to find a bright side. 

I hope he makes whole sale changes for the PNE game. 
I'd bring in Pring, rest Weimann, play Klose and start Semenyo.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, tts_city said:

What a total predictable nause you are, you love slagging fans who deride a shite performance, i think you get off on it, sat there in your Y fronts chap in hand winding people up, sad little man.

I think your post speaks volumes about you

Someone thinks  Pearson not good enough and wants him out and is asked who his idea of a replacement

And we get this keyboard warrior dribble ?

Be careful you don’t tip the Pram 

5 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

Agreed we can't find continuity the defence and midfield are very weak areas in the team.

True, but let's not also forget we played three (four at times!) forwards in the past three games and they've scored one goal.

It seems that Naismith leading the ball out of defence, James providing a screen for the back line and Scott linking with strikers, are the spine of the team. When we miss two of those three, we aren't a functioning unit. 

• Like 4

How quickly we fall apart without certain players, would rather lose trying to play instead of losing like that and rolling over in a very winnable game.

We clear the three set-pieces and its 0-0, even though we had nothing going forward, I know this is easy to say but by the way the game went it's the truth.

We didn't deserve anything, Birmingham fought for every single ball over the whole game and fully deserved their win. The times we did fight for the ball in the second half we had some breakthroughs but no clear chances or shots.

I'd take Naismith clangers if it meant we didn't lose like that, that was so so poor today.

Only positives today for me were Tanner, Pring, Kadji and Martin getting minutes, they didn't play well but at least there's some light in other player's getting an opportunity instead of others who play consistently and don't perform. 

Our steady XI and style has been found out, would like to see some changes and other lads given an opportunity - there isn't one player who started today who can say they deserve to keep their place in the team, that's how poor it was. The only one I wouldn't drop is Scott, all of them need to wake up. Pearson included.

• Like 1
Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Can we even afford him?

To others too.

A) Can we afford, FFP wise I am not certain.

B) We play a reasonably high line. Sorry to say, Bamba age and style wise into a reasonably high line is a terrible mismatch.

We cannot persist with Andy King at centre back. Absolute ludicrous to even think it 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, tts_city said:

What a total predictable nause you are, you love slagging fans who deride a shite performance, i think you get off on it, sat there in your Y fronts chap in hand winding people up, sad little man.

Sorry, but in my opinion fans who deride a shite performance but barely say a word after a good one deserve whatever stick they get.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
13 minutes ago, westonred said:

Why oh why didnt we get a comanding Centre Half in the transfer window playing King and Vyner there is absolutely crazy i hope Bamber (if he's still with us ) is in the squad for Weds

Jeremy? I don't know, he's actually quite small but has a hell of a mean streak in him!

Edited by An Outstanding Human

Birmingham confirms to be a horrible place for us. ?

In the second half, better passing and some nice actions here and there (helped by the subs), more energy...but still no real threat, whereas Birmingham had a lot of chances (the opposiye of the  first half, when they created almost nothing apart the goals). Hugely disappointing.

Not happy with some of Nigel choices too: yes, he had to cope with injuries + Williams unavailability, but insisting with King back was an error IMO, like not changing the attacking three from the start..and using the inexperienced Kadji was also a strange choice.

I hope that this match will convince him to change his plan: in this moment we don't have the speed, the quality and the amouj of players to continue to play like we have done in the first quarter of the season, so we need something different (ex: reverting to Martin in the starting XI to simplify our attacking moves and gain physical presence in both areas, giving Weimann a rest and play Sykes or Scott in his role, play available defenders in the back three or try a back four, etc.).

Tougher games on the horizon, and in this moment I feel a little worried: I thought that even with a short squad we had enough strenght to avoid relegation quite comfortably and maybe try to finish midtable, but I didn't expect such a rapid involution. Maybe it's just today',s disappointment...

Edited by Dan Robin
2 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

May as well go bring in someone like Sol bamba on a short term deal if he is still free. 

Andy King at centre back ?

We didn't lose that game because Andy King was at centre back.  Goals 1 and 3 were largely down to our goalie who seems to me to be having his yearly dip.  

Obviously we want a proper CB, but poor Alex Scott needs someone next to him who will actually help.  Khadji was miles better than Massengo who we should actively look to offload in January for whatever we can get for him.  Bored now of watching Massengo and Williams who add virtually nothing.  

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

May as well go bring in someone like Sol bamba on a short term deal if he is still free. 

Andy King at centre back ?

Did OK the other night. Thing is we don’t know how fit Klose is, if Klose was fit for 90 mins then I’d agree that was a mistake to put King in there today, but as they didn’t even make the change at half time I’d suggest that he’s not properly fit and was only there as injury cover.

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

How can anyone possibly think that the club is in a position to pay off Pearson?

Going to come a point where we’ll not be in a position to keep him on. He’s had enough time to at least  have a solid foundation in place, just as bad now as it was when he first took over. Although the attackers are at least playing well… all of which were at the club when he arrived ?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

Did OK the other night. Thing is we don’t know how fit Klose is, if Klose was fit for 90 mins then I’d agree that was a mistake to put King in there today, but as they didn’t even make the change at half time I’d suggest that he’s not properly fit and was only there as injury cover.

Too late at HT - we were 2 down.  Probably best to leave him till Wednesday. If we'd been a goal up, we would probably seen him at some point.

• Like 2

That was as bad as it gets. 

Every corner or set piece we looked like conceding. First half we were just hitting long balls to the front two which was a complete waste of time. Offered zero going forward.

2nd half we had 5 minutes of pressure but apart from that we looked like conceding a lot! Could have been 5-0 today. Few notes on some player…

Bentley - some good saves but also can’t command his box and 2nd gol was a joke. 

King - dreadful.
Vyner - many aimless long balls.

Atkinson - Like Weimann, gone off boil.

Sykes - bottled quite a few challenges.

Massengo - think we could do with offloading asap. Offers nothing.

Weimann - looked off pace for weeks.

Kadji - out of his depth.

Pring - actually looked ok!

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Devil and the deep blue sea a bit.

Maybe we have to abandon the back 3 for a bit...

Bamba + high line=Likely fail.

Agree with Bamba and a high line, however if we haven’t got the players to play the high line…it’s the managers job to put a system in place that can work even if it’s just a temporary measure until certain players come back from injury

We will continue to get dicked if we persist with King at the back. He isn’t good enough for this level in his natural position ….let alone in a position that he isn’t comfortable in 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, big dosser said:

the problem i have is what bloody happens in the international break,we always come back so poor.before the break played well even at Norwich and Burnley then comes the break.we come back lacking everything we was doing well and look shot to bits all over the pitch.

Well our record is more varied but I won't get into that now.

It wasn't really the International break this time, we also lost to Norwich and Burnley granted played well at Norwich and in a different way, were tough to beat, competitive at Burnley.

Did the mid September postponement kill our momentum a bit? Clutching a bit granted.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

OK; the goals have dried up and the defence is deteriorating.

What is wrong? Are the players not good enough, or are the wrong tactics now employed?

Whichever, why is the team that did well in late August / early September now dropping like a stone?

If anyone can put their finger on it, please notify Nigel Pearson, thanks.