IGNORED

Richard Gould

Hamdon Mart

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

There's not the slightest chance of that, The Hundred has been further cemented in place by Strauss's High Performance (yes, the dreaded phrase again) Review. So Gould will now be expected to big it up.

I can see a future in which The Hundred franchises are sold off, probably to IPL owners (as per South Africa's T20 competition). Possibly 50 over cricket will disappear as well.

Thereafter, a County Championship that is effectively a Premier League for the bigger Counties (Surrey, Lancashire and so on). Smaller Counties will either be driven out of business or forced to amalgamate (Glos/Somerset, Leics/Derbyshire for instance).

Maybe even Test cricket confined to England, Australia and India. South Africa are half way to pulling out already and West Indies cricket is in a poor state.

Thompson and Gould will preside over the early stages of a revolution that will make cricket unrecognisable, if lucrative for some. Not least the ECB Board, who are fond of awarding themselves big bonuses to reward their genius.

I just don’t see the need for the hundred . I get why they created it , to get a franchise that doesn’t include the counties & create more money . However, the royal London one day cup has been marginalised & it does look as though 50 over cricket across the board will be phased out. There’s too much cricket & the top players will be lost to certain formats. Stokes has already retired from the one day game , suggestions he might retire from t20 after the World Cup. Whatever happens , test cricket has to be protected at all costs. 
Especially as I was lucky enough to get 6 tickets for the fourth day of the first test of  the ashes next year ?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I just don’t see the need for the hundred . I get why they created it , to get a franchise that doesn’t include the counties & create more money . However, the royal London one day cup has been marginalised & it does look as though 50 over cricket across the board will be phased out. There’s too much cricket & the top players will be lost to certain formats. Stokes has already retired from the one day game , suggestions he might retire from t20 after the World Cup. Whatever happens , test cricket has to be protected at all costs. 
Especially as I was lucky enough to get 6 tickets for the fourth day of the first test of  the ashes next year ?

I agree with everything you say but sadly the ECB doesn't.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

There are likely to be a load of people from a football administration background looking to step up or step sideways and would jump at the opportunity, many of them highly qualified and experienced.

I'm amazed no one has suggested Risdale! We could then experience multiple instances of administration and some bonkers signings.

I wonder if SL will spend weeks and weeks interviewing and then pick Gould's current number 2.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

My thoughts too.

Says a lot about him, been handed a tough job, trying to help us sort things out but keen to have an orderly transition rather than jump ship at the first opportunity.

Despite one moron (Tony Wilkins) on social media say that he has had “no impact & he’s glad he’s going”, sane people realise what he’s done for us & wish he was sticking around for longer.

Everytime I listen to Wilkins on BBCRB he comes on all guns blazing, then backtracks, contradicts himself, usually under challenge from Geoff.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

My 2+2 from that official site comment from SL :

Gavin Marshall will assume some of the CEO responsibilities, but the role will be split, with Tinnion taking up a Director of Football title (hence why he turned down Forest Green for the role a couple of weeks ago), ie they knew already 

Although GM looks like he’ll ride shotgun with RG for the next 3 months, I wonder if we will now go with a DoF model.  We will still need a CEO though, but might be one where some of the football side will be less onerous.  Since MA has gone and taken several with him, the non-football (pure football) side has been trimmed also.

• Like 1

I’m really disappointed about this. Gould is understated, effective and seems like a thoroughly decent bloke. After the last bloke we had, he’s been a breath of fresh air. It will be sad to see him go. As a cricket fan, I think he’s a great appointment but it really does leave a big hole for us to fill. 

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Everytime I listen to Wilkins on BBCRB he comes on all guns blazing, then backtracks, contradicts himself, usually under challenge from Geoff.

Bloke’s an absolute *******.

Look at some of his Tweets, he genuinely thinks Boris Johnson is God & rants on about the city of Bristol despite the fact he lives in North Somerset (so it’s nothing to do with you, pal).

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Although GM looks like he’ll ride shotgun with RG for the next 3 months, I wonder if we will now go with a DoF model.  We will still need a CEO though, but might be one where some of the football side will be less onerous.  Since MA has gone and taken several with him, the non-football (pure football) side has been trimmed also.

Could that DoF be Nige do you think? He seems to be well in tune with what direction the club should be moving in.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Job for Steve Walsh? I’ve no idea where he is these days. 
I’m  slightly bothered when it comes to key recruitment. SL seems to appoint people he already knows… that worked with RG but doesn’t always. Maybe a DoF recommended by NP would work! 

17 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Could that DoF be Nige do you think? He seems to be well in tune with what direction the club should be moving in.

Yes and no.  Part of me thinks yes, more as a “consultant”, but the contracts, budgets, etc, that’s a no.  I don’t see Tins doing that either.  Tins as HoR rather than DoF makes sense.

I suspect we will have people filling roles with titles that don’t quite fit the true nature of their titles in the normal world.

We already have one in “Chairman”.  Just move aside, and be the head of Fever Pitch, that’s his niche.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I know exactly what you mean, but there are reasons and not all self interest.
The European game had been suggested before and (from memory) wasn't lead by him. In his position he had to investigate ways of expanding the brand ( :facepalm: ). 

On the plus side.
He's a fan of the club.
He is financially secure .
He has masses of experience.
He would be known to SL.
He has a lot of contacts.

I think it could be a reasonable shout, if only short term. 

Can he defend set pieces?.... 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes and no.  Part of me thinks yes, more as a “consultant”, but the contracts, budgets, etc, that’s a no.  I don’t see Tins doing that either.  Tins as HoR rather than DoF makes sense.

I suspect we will have people filling roles with titles that don’t quite fit the true nature of their titles in the normal world.

We already have one in “Chairman”.  Just move aside, and be the head of Fever Pitch, that’s his niche.

True, I can’t imagine Nige and a football agent ever being in the same room or on the same phone line.

Head of Fever Pitch…….Like that! 

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

It's an innovative way of marketing crisps as far as I can tell.

Also a way of trying to pretend that Glamorgan are relevant by giving them greater income than either Somerset or Gloucestershire.

As someone who worked for a Government Dept for over 35 years, you soon learn that anything branded “Wales & South West”, gets shifted over to Wales at the very first opportunity & all the funding also follows it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

There's not the slightest chance of that, The Hundred has been further cemented in place by Strauss's High Performance (yes, the dreaded phrase again) Review. So Gould will now be expected to big it up.

I can see a future in which The Hundred franchises are sold off, probably to IPL owners (as per South Africa's T20 competition). Possibly 50 over cricket will disappear as well.

Thereafter, a County Championship that is effectively a Premier League for the bigger Counties (Surrey, Lancashire and so on). Smaller Counties will either be driven out of business or forced to amalgamate (Glos/Somerset, Leics/Derbyshire for instance).

Maybe even Test cricket confined to England, Australia and India. South Africa are half way to pulling out already and West Indies cricket is in a poor state.

Thompson and Gould will preside over the early stages of a revolution that will make cricket unrecognisable, if lucrative for some. Not least the ECB Board, who are fond of awarding themselves big bonuses to reward their genius.

Let's face it...Cricket is ******.

A sport trying to make money like football. Everything short term.

Cricket and Rugby are going down the same route as our Government. Short term gains. Then**** off.

Edited by spudski
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agreed. Gould has, I assume, done all the negotiations for transfers and contracts.  And also appesrs to have done it well. Probably nowt to do with the football side of the business.

Pearson and Tinnion should stick to the football side of things. Maybe NP ultimately becomes Director of Football?

So we need a CEO to do the same job as Gould. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

Or you go back to a Keith Burt type who was given responsibility for:

- playing budgets

- contracts

- recruitment (in and out)

I might be wrong but I don’t know if Tins has bullets 1 and 2 in his locker at first team level?  Anyone know?  He ran his business in Spain, so assume has some business acumen???

• Hmmm 1

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Also a way of trying to pretend that Glamorgan are relevant by giving them greater income than either Somerset or Gloucestershire.

As someone who worked for a Government Dept for over 35 years, you soon learn that anything branded “Wales & South West”, gets shifted over to Wales at the very first opportunity & all the funding also follows it.

Firstly it’s the Barnett Formula and devolution. Wales gets more money per capita than England, especially the South West, plus the Welsh splash big money on Cardiff. It was the same with the electrification of the GWR main line and cutting the route to Temple Meads. Secondly it’s the whole crap about England “and Wales” Cricket Board, so having to have a Welsh franchise and the very misplaced assumption that anyone from Gloucestershire or Somerset would be willing to go to Cardiff to see a game. That said Welsh Fire have been so hopeless and badly supported that there is a rumour about moving it to Bristol to see if it can do better in a bigger cricket market. Probably nothing to it, but it wouldn’t be the daftest idea that the ECB have ever had. And maybe Mr Gould might be in favour…

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Agreed. Gould has, I assume, done all the negotiations for transfers and contracts.  And also appesrs to have done it well. Probably nowt to do with the football side of the business.

Pearson and Tinnion should stick to the football side of things. Maybe NP ultimately becomes Director of Football?

Unlikely given Nige’s refusal to have anything to do with agents - that why the club need a CEO.

• Like 1

I think we need to take this opportunity to restructure. 

Having one person do all of the work is a outdated concept. 

Most clubs now operate with DoF, Head of Recruitment etc. 

Trying to find someone that has the skillset to cover all of those roles is pretty impossible. 

It always did worry me that Gould didn't really have the experience in the football world. Didn't have the connections etc. He did a very good job at steadying the ship but I think he did lack those things. But we have no money to spend so it was kinda irrelevant right now. 

Mark Ashton was a lousy CEO. However he was pretty good at negotiations and had the contacts etc. We need a less dodgy version of MA to be head of recruitment and then a director of football who ties all the roles together. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think we need to take this opportunity to restructure. 

Having one person do all of the work is a outdated concept. 

Most clubs now operate with DoF, Head of Recruitment etc. 

Trying to find someone that has the skillset to cover all of those roles is pretty impossible. 

It always did worry me that Gould didn't really have the experience in the football world. Didn't have the connections etc. He did a very good job at steadying the ship but I think he did lack those things. But we have no money to spend so it was kinda irrelevant right now. 

Mark Ashton was a lousy CEO. However he was pretty good at negotiations and had the contacts etc. We need a less dodgy version of MA to be head of recruitment and then a director of football who ties all the roles together. 

Most of the positions you mention sit under a CEO so it will be up to the new CEO if that's the structure they want.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Cynically you are making out Gould has the traits of Mark Ashton and neither could be further apart!!

Believe that Pearson’s preference at the time RG was appointed was Adrian Bevington.

As big a blow as it will be if / when Gould goes, as per player sales it’s about how you replace them.

I wonder if there are any in-house that could fill in temporarily, e.g. Kelly, Marshall, Griffiths????

I'd hate for Kelly to get it. 

I think he does a fantastic job at what he does and his job is far from finished as we move on to the next phase of development at Ashton Gate. His skillset is very much needed for that to get it all built and then operational. 

4 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Most of the positions you mention sit under a CEO so it will be up to the new CEO if that's the structure they want.

Whilst they sit under the CEO I think that decision comes from the top rather than a CEO. 

If SL wants to go for that sort of structure then the required skillsets of a CEO is different.