IGNORED

Match Report: Abysmal City fail to turn up at Birmingham

Olé

"We didn't turn up" is a stock football fan phrase that stretches reality even when a side plays poorly, yet Bristol City's hopeless display at Birmingham made it if not a literal summary then as close as possible to what happened at St. Andrews - Nigel Pearson's side three times beaten from set pieces by a struggling opponent and utterly anonymous throughout, compounding the prior scrappy performances since the international break against QPR and Coventry with a complete capitulation at the lowly Championship rival.

City were 1-0 down after just 3 minutes and despite a huge away following, the visitors simply looked disinterested throughout and never provided any meaningful threat, easily the worst they've performed under Pearson since the return from Covid. A second Blues goal followed before half time as King and Bentley flapped at yet another set piece and although changes were made, the visitors never found any fluency or threat and it was not surprise that Birmingham added a third from yet more static defending at corners.

It was only minutes into the game that Nahki Wells blocked a right wing cross and from the resulting corner Auston Trusty had time for a close range free header in the six yard box which was adjudged to cross the line. City continued to nap at second balls as a clash on halfway saw Tahith Chong go clear on goal with Dan Bentley out quick to block. Up the other end Andi Weimann hooked his finish wildly over after a rapid break in the right channel via Tommy Conway and Mark Sykes led to a dangerous cross into the box.

6C2F10F7-B83C-4F12-A741-E3527FF5E61E.thumb.jpeg.9b2f4c3784a4b290d05614fb733ad6d8.jpeg

City were a mess throughout. At the midway point of the half Han Noah Massengo lifted a through ball completely out of play on the right flank when well placed, while down the other end Zak Vyner backward header from a rare attacking free kick was miles wide. It was depressing fare for a side so impressive  before the international break - they failed to contrive a single chance, Wells and Sykes 36th minute right wing passing combination that resulted in a corner the most - and only - threat offered by the anonymous visitors. 

Before half time a promising move from the left channel saw both Weimann and Scott bundled off the ball allowing Birmingham to break and win a cheap free kick just inside the City half. Another set piece and this time Andy King headed the ball past Bentley onto his own post and again not one City player reacted to the second ball, stood dawdling watching play develop as it spun back off the post to goalscorer Trusty to bundle in a second on the line as Bentley flapped. With half time arriving it was embarrassing stuff.

Pearson reacted by hauling off strikers Wells and Tommy Conway and out of sorts winger Sykes for Chris Martin, Antoine Semenyo and George Tanner. There was an immediate reaction as Martin won a free kick outside the box that he struck well and saw deflected behind for a corner, while a minute later Semenyo got to the byline to force another flag kick. But in truth the away side were knocked out of their stride far too easily, produced no threat, and by the hour mark again stood watching as Bielik volleyed onto the post from a corner.

City's brittle confidence had evapourated and by now they were failing with most of the basics. Unable to clear their lines and struggling to play out from the back against Birmingham's physical press, Vyner gave it away cheaply for another break from which Blues squared into the box and the visitors desperately bundled away. Dylan Kadji got a rare appearance for Massengo and then Cam Pring for the awful Jay DaSilva, but it was open season on their box, peppered by continual low crosses that City booted clear.

079E2EEB-58BE-432E-8027-94A4815C1910.thumb.jpeg.2898072f385e7969c5d461f98e1fbf35.jpeg

So no surprise then that with quarter of an hour left only Birmingham attacked another Chong corner, City to a man statues as the Blues easily nodded it down in the six yard box and Sanderson was able to tap in at close range. Semenyo had the FIRST shot on target in the 86th minute with a drilled effort from the left, but heading into injury time Bentley had to tip over brilliantly from Jutkiewicz as the hosts played it around at will, and then again first to the corner, to score a fourth but adjudged to have fouled.

City really didn't turn up and by this stage of the fixture may as well have been waving white flags. Since the international break it Pearson's once impressive side has been found out, prevented from breaking quickly and today an average Birmingham side that had only won once at home made them look utterly inadequate from start to finish, and mostly due to City's inability to pass without unforced errors. After a promising start to the season the team has no plan B, confidence is shot and they need to focus on staying up.

Bentley 5

Atkinson 6

Vyner 5 

King 5

DaSilva 4

Sykes 5

Massengo 5

Scott 6

Weimann 4

Wells 5

Conway 4

Martin 5

Semenyo 6

Tanner 5

Kadji 4

Pring 5

• Like 7
  • Thanks 10

Was a shambles today and what a waste of a day for over 2200 of us. Your last sentence is both worrying and incredibly accurate.  Can’t see where the next win comes from.  Only part I disagree with is an 18 year old Kadji was better than a 4 as least he showed some heart.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tin Soldier said:

Said it before on here and say it again, the club is in crisis. Has been for a number of years. I don’t blame NP totally as he inherited a crock of shite. But at some stage soon, we need a defence that can defend and a midfield that can battle.

Utter crap IMO.

Naismith has his faults but without him, that positive threat from the back...sure Atkinson and Vyner can carry it but Naismith a real catalyst for that improvement.

Didn't play today, how flat we.seemed 1st half!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Naismith has his faults but without him, that positive threat from the back...sure Atkinson and Vyner can carry it but Naismith a real catalyst for that improvement.

Didn't play today, how flat we.seemed 1st half!

Flat as we were 1st half, I thought Brum were pretty poor too.  Second half they played better and created more in open play.

Edited by Davefevs

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Flat as we were 1st half, I thought Brum were pretty poor too.  Second half they played better and created more in open play.

Only seen some limited highlights tbh, heard on the radio and didn't sound so awful 2nd half.

All 3 goals were collectively poor and quite avoidable I think. Right side won.

Pretty much spot on, though I'd disagree Atkinson rated a 6 given for their first, of the 3 City to go for it he's prime responsibility as he's looking straight at it and fails to move. Ditto their third where Tanner & Martin's non show at the near post wasn't unexpected and Atkinson simply watched the ball pass him without reacting.

All game City's movement was between non-existent and woeful. I lost count of the number of times City players waited for the ball to come to them only to be beaten to possession by Brum players who could be bothered to put a shift in. Sykes (aka Son of CoD) being the worst culprit, static in losing possession or limply failing over when challenged.  I, too, lost count of the number of unforced errors in our passing. Only a month ago when we had the ball we looked to get forward at pace. Yesterday I thought Johnson back in charge, City's first motion being to look to pass sideways or backwards. For all the Naismith critics out there, we sure as hell missed him yesterday. 

As for Bentley's distribution (sic), don't get me started.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

I always find it a worry that defensively we are awful, especially when the manager was a defender and a leader himself.

This is such a cliche and is not.necessarily borne out by facts in the modern game.

I see the line of thinking but a range of managers who were defenders in a certain era in fact don't run that tight a ship defensively.

He has:

* Cut the wage and amortisation bill, maybe steering us clear of FFP.

* Kept us up last season, which buys us time moving forward.

* While undergoing a revamp of the squad- still an ongoing process.

* We have seen Scott and Semenyo come in and make a strong impact last year, Benarous blooded too albeit injured and Conway this season. Pring had his good points last year, but granted Preston away...we have even seen Vyner improve albeit for how long is this sustainable?

* While losing and yes they did split opinion, but experienced at this level players and or internationals such as Hunt, Nagy, Paterson, Diedhiou. All part of the downsizing, inheriting such a mess that we haven't even be able to loan anyone since the summer 2020 window!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

I always find it a worry that defensively we are awful, especially when the manager was a defender and a leader himself. If he can't sort out a solid defence, it begs the question what he can actually do. 

If only he could pull on his boots and play, eh?

I actually think his playing position is largely irrelevant, it’s not him that crosses the white line on a Saturday afternoon / Tuesday evening.  Do you not think he’s passed on all of his knowledge and experience, Fleming too?

Atkinson has been pretty decent this season.  Vyner was Vyner again yesterday but has improved over the course of this season.  We had no Naismith or Kalas yesterday….and maybe Naismith has been more key to Vyner than we think.

We are stuck with what we have, some might argue Nige has improved Vyner.  We have imbalance in the squad, we have no money to really sort it out.

When the defence is questioned in threads like this, nobody ever balances it with “but he really improved our attack”.  If that is nothing to do with him, and just that we have good players…then maybe the same logic can be applied when analysing our defence?

Welcome back btw.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If only he could pull on his boots and play, eh?

I actually think his playing position is largely irrelevant, it’s not him that crosses the white line on a Saturday afternoon / Tuesday evening.  Do you not think he’s passed on all of his knowledge and experience, Fleming too?

Atkinson has been pretty decent this season.  Vyner was Vyner again yesterday but has improved over the course of this season.  We had no Naismith or Kalas yesterday….and maybe Naismith has been more key to Vyner than we think.

We are stuck with what we have, some might argue Nige has improved Vyner.  We have imbalance in the squad, we have no money to really sort it out.

When the defence is questioned in threads like this, nobody ever balances it with “but he really improved our attack”.  If that is nothing to do with him, and just that we have good players…then maybe the same logic can be applied when analysing our defence?

Welcome back btw.

I did tweet yesterday that for all the plaudits he gets for our attacking players (all of whom were at club) he deserves stick for our defensive inadequacies.  Even more so when you think of the players he has signed in Atkinson, Klose, Naismith, Tanner, Wilson, Sykes, Baker (very unlucky), Simpson.  Some have been good & some not so but what limited budget he has had, the bulk has gone to defenders & we still ship goals. It was suicide to play King yesterday at CB & if Klose was fit enough for bench then start him. Imagine the carnage if Deeney has started so we got away with 3. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Brum were evidently very low in confidence and expecting us to come back at them.  Think it took them a while to cotton on that that wasn’t going to happen, but once they did then they played with a lot more confidence and looked good, (I was especially impressed with their number 6 , Mejbri, who unlike our lot could actually cross a ball!)
Brum fans we chatted with in the pub after the game couldn’t believe how poor we were and despite the comfortable win were not very confident for the season ahead.  It was a meeting of kindred spirits ?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

I did tweet yesterday that for all the plaudits he gets for our attacking players (all of whom were at club) he deserves stick for our defensive inadequacies.  Even more so when you think of the players he has signed in Atkinson, Klose, Naismith, Tanner, Wilson, Sykes, Baker (very unlucky), Simpson.  Some have been good & some not so but what limited budget he has had, the bulk has gone to defenders & we still ship goals. It was suicide to play King yesterday at CB & if Klose was fit enough for bench then start him. Imagine the carnage if Deeney has started so we got away with 3. 

I don’t disagree…but as you’ve stated, you’ve at least given balance to the debate.

Whether King was a bad decision yesterday, you’d like to think several other players might’ve put in a performance to cover its inadequacy!

As I’ve said before there are some players that can be lifted by those around them, but when those players (the leaders) aren’t there, they show their true ability / quality (lack of). Nor are they capable of lifting others themselves.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

The defending at set pieces, especially corners is a joke.

We've reverted back to zonal marking at corners 

We are absolutely hopeless at doing it. 

We neither attack the ball, or block a runner...what's even worse is you play zonal marking if you have a keeper that comes for the ball and dominates the area. ??? 

It was so simple for Brum to just stand back, get a run up and win the header to a static jumping defence. Even dropping off and winning balls outside the box...no one followed the runner.

What's worrying...is that NP said in the past that players couldn't be trusted to man Mark, so the zonal marking was incorporated. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, spudski said:

The defending at set pieces, especially corners is a joke.

We've reverted back to zonal marking at corners 

We are absolutely hopeless at doing it. 

We neither attack the ball, or block a runner...what's even worse is you play zonal marking if you have a keeper that comes for the ball and dominates the area. ??? 

It was so simple for Brum to just stand back, get a run up and win the header to a static jumping defence. Even dropping off and winning balls outside the box...no one followed the runner.

What's worrying...is that NP said in the past that players couldn't be trusted to man Mark, so the zonal marking was incorporated. 

Never been a great fan of zonal marking especially if there are no blockers as all the advantage is with the attacker as you say.  The first & third were in Bentleys area and why he didn’t towards the ball after it hit the post I don’t know.  Every time our opponents have a corner or set play your hearts in your mouth whilst I never get excited when we are.  Our crossing is terrible with the exception of the occasional good delivery from Naismith.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He has:

* Kept us up last season, which buys us time moving forward.

I love this comment so many put. 

We sold NO ONE last season pretty much, and the squad was not going down under Holden or Johnson before him. In many ways, we were better, yet apparently having been solid mid table, just outside the playoffs for a few years, the remit is suddenly not to get relegated. 

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

We sold NO ONE last season pretty much, and the squad was not going down under Holden or Johnson before him. In many ways, we were better, yet apparently having been solid mid table, just outside the playoffs for a few years, the remit is suddenly not to get relegated. 

The reasons for this have been extensively documented on this site: We have no money and are trying to avoid a FFP points deduction. Gone are the LG days of adding endless "clubs" to his burgening golf bag. Its not going to get better anytime soon either. How many of our soon to be OOC players will be even offered, let alone accept, new contracts for next season?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

The goalposts moved.  Those goalposts were financial.  We now have a thin squad, and I’m looking forward to seeing 21/22’s accounts to see how far those financial goalposts moved.  A £30.3m revenue business (best year ever) with a £56m cost base (highest ever) can’t last can it?  It grew to £62m a year later as Covid started to impact revenue.  Costs grew quicker than income.  You don’t have to be Sir John Harvey-Jones to know that catches up with you.  It did.

Expectations needed to be adjusted with the reality.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, robinforlife2 said:

You honestly believe if Holden had stayed on we weren’t “going down”?

That is some leap of faith.

We had lost our last 6 games under him, struggled to have a shot on goal or a corner at times & didn’t score in the last four of them.

There is no way you can know this.

Your point about not having sold anyone is bizarre, due to the pandemic no one spent any money & that £38m loss, remember that? 

That was why Pearson moved on 14 players in 2021 & another 5 left this summer.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The goalposts moved.  Those goalposts were financial.  We now have a thin squad, and I’m looking forward to seeing 21/22’s accounts to see how far those financial goalposts moved.  A £30.3m revenue business (best year ever) with a £56m cost base (highest ever) can’t last can it?  It grew to £62m a year later as Covid started to impact revenue.  Costs grew quicker than income.  You don’t have to be Sir John Harvey-Jones to know that catches up with you.  It did.

Expectations needed to be adjusted with the reality.

Maybe, but I would trust Holloway to do a better job here than Pearson. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 3

Top work @Olé

Also a top appearance on OSIB with @petehinton and @Shtanley. Despite the abject performance in the game that was one of my favourite recent episodes. Nicely  balanced review that accommodated the idea that there's a difference between one terrible game and the bigger picture of the whole season. Rightly slagging off some of the horror performances, but not getting lost in "Pearson out" hyperbole.

I'm also very keen for a trip to Crocodile World. I'd also like to let you know about Tropical Birdland near Leicester, just if you want to broaden your horizons regarding exotic animals.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Top work @Olé

Also a top appearance on OSIB with @petehinton and @Shtanley. Despite the abject performance in the game that was one of my favourite recent episodes. Nicely  balanced review that accommodated the idea that there's a difference between one terrible game and the bigger picture of the whole season. Rightly slagging off some of the horror performances, but not getting lost in "Pearson out" hyperbole.

I'm also very keen for a trip to Crocodile World. I'd also like to let you know about Tropical Birdland near Leicester, just if you want to broaden your horizons regarding exotic animals.

That'll remind me to listen on tomorrow morning's walk. I randomly (honest) chose the unofficially official Bristol City Podcast (3 Peeps) ahead of OSIB for this mornings walk, and caught Forever Bristol City live on Saturday. I am a glutton for punishment.

7 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

That'll remind me to listen on tomorrow morning's walk. I randomly (honest) chose the unofficially official Bristol City Podcast (3 Peeps) ahead of OSIB for this mornings walk, and caught Forever Bristol City live on Saturday. I am a glutton for punishment.

Maybe we will win the game when you listen for a third time.