IGNORED

Match Report: Abysmal City fail to turn up at Birmingham

Olé

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

That'll remind me to listen on tomorrow morning's walk. I randomly (honest) chose the unofficially official Bristol City Podcast (3 Peeps) ahead of OSIB for this mornings walk, and caught Forever Bristol City live on Saturday. I am a glutton for punishment.

Thought both were a largely very enjoyable listen. It’s hard to cram all of them in, if that’s your vibe, especially when there’s midweek games, but it’s great to have such a menu of options as City fans now. As Stan says often, we’re stoked that people still listen & that OSIB is still growing somehow. I’m sure we’ll miss recording, c48 hours after saying we’re relieved to have some time off for the World Cup ‘break’ ?

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Thought both were a largely very enjoyable listen. It’s hard to cram all of them in, if that’s your vibe, especially when there’s midweek games, but it’s great to have such a menu of options as City fans now. As Stan says often, we’re stoked that people still listen & that OSIB is still growing somehow. I’m sure we’ll miss recording, c48 hours after saying we’re relieved to have some time off for the World Cup ‘break’ ?

Yeah, we'll probably all suffer a collective memory loss and convince ourselves that city will regroup/sort things out/be right up it/couldn't possibly play as badly. Wait, a feel a little post lockdown break deja vu coming on.

• Like 1

On 09/10/2022 at 11:22, spudski said:

The defending at set pieces, especially corners is a joke.

We've reverted back to zonal marking at corners 

We are absolutely hopeless at doing it. 

We neither attack the ball, or block a runner...what's even worse is you play zonal marking if you have a keeper that comes for the ball and dominates the area. ??? 

It was so simple for Brum to just stand back, get a run up and win the header to a static jumping defence. Even dropping off and winning balls outside the box...no one followed the runner.

What's worrying...is that NP said in the past that players couldn't be trusted to man Mark, so the zonal marking was incorporated. 

Quoting myself ? I read an article on twitter this morning, from a reporter who was sat in front of the Birmingham analysts and George Friend during the game. 

He quoted what messages they were sending down to the touchline. 

I can't find the report again...anyone else read it?

Spoke of them telling to overload the back post at corners, that we were an easy target at set pieces and that any team should set up to do so against us. 

With NP also repeating after the game that we don't have the players to mark at set pieces...

All in all its a bit of a worry.

It'll be interesting to see what Preston do.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Quoting myself ? I read an article on twitter this morning, from a reporter who was sat in front of the Birmingham analysts and George Friend during the game. 

He quoted what messages they were sending down to the touchline. 

I can't find the report again...anyone else read it?

Spoke of them telling to overload the back post at corners, that we were an easy target at set pieces and that any team should set up to do so against us. 

With NP also repeating after the game that we don't have the players to mark at set pieces...

All in all its a bit of a worry.

It'll be interesting to see what Preston do.

Yes, I read it.

Much as I love a high quality, quick, whip into the near post…that delivery is hard to get spot on, not just from the taker’s view but also the timing of blocking and runs from the attacking team.  Lethal as it is, it doesn’t come off that often…a lot of balls his first man.

Against a zonal defence, it’s easier to “stand a ball up” to the mid / far post and get runners to attack it, against stationery defenders.

In my days I played as the near post flick man a lot, but I much preferred being beyond the penalty spot, watching the flight of a more chipped cross and then attacking it (against back pedalling defenders).

Last season when we moved to the split zone / blockers, the zone stood on the 6 yard box looking to attack anything 6-10 yards out, gave Bentley some room, and we did quite well.  Teams then put some players around Bents despite offside possibility, but it dragged our zone on top of Bents, and meant there was now for room for the opposition to attack 6-10 yards out.  Previously Martin, Kalas etc gobbled those up.  Some teams (think it was AFCB) who hit outswingers to 15 yards out and win everything.  Luckily a 15 yard header is unlikely to score and Bents had a few easy catches.

Its all a bit cat and mouse, cause and effect.

Obviously you can be your own worst enemy, like we were Saturday, but if the delivery and runs / blocks are spot in, there’s nothing you can do imho.  But don’t make it easy for your opponent.  Bents got himself in no-man’s land on the first, I wonder whether our defenders got a shout along the lines of “Bents baaaaaa…..oh shit I ain’t getting there” ???.  Less said about the third the better.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, I read it.

Much as I love a high quality, quick, whip into the near post…that delivery is hard to get spot on, not just from the taker’s view but also the timing of blocking and runs from the attacking team.  Lethal as it is, it doesn’t come off that often…a lot of balls his first man.

Against a zonal defence, it’s easier to “stand a ball up” to the mid / far post and get runners to attack it, against stationery defenders.

In my days I played as the near post flick man a lot, but I much preferred being beyond the penalty spot, watching the flight of a more chipped cross and then attacking it (against back pedalling defenders).

Last season when we moved to the split zone / blockers, the zone stood on the 6 yard box looking to attack anything 6-10 yards out, gave Bentley some room, and we did quite well.  Teams then put some players around Bents despite offside possibility, but it dragged our zone on top of Bents, and meant there was now for room for the opposition to attack 6-10 yards out.  Previously Martin, Kalas etc gobbled those up.  Some teams (think it was AFCB) who hit outswingers to 15 yards out and win everything.  Luckily a 15 yard header is unlikely to score and Bents had a few easy catches.

Its all a bit cat and mouse, cause and effect.

Obviously you can be your own worst enemy, like we were Saturday, but if the delivery and runs / blocks are spot in, there’s nothing you can do imho.  But don’t make it easy for your opponent.  Bents got himself in no-man’s land on the first, I wonder whether our defenders got a shout along the lines of “Bents baaaaaa…..oh shit I ain’t getting there” ???.  Less said about the third the better.

Totally agree with all of that Dave. 

It's a worry at present. 

Blockers weak, static zonal, not aggressive enough, Bents doesn't come for anything. 

It all looks so easy to score against.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Totally agree with all of that Dave. 

It's a worry at present. 

Blockers weak, static zonal, not aggressive enough, Bents doesn't come for anything. 

It all looks so easy to score against.

Hopefully Klose back tomorrow, he’s a talker / organiser….and 6’4”!!!  I think Martin will play too.  

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Hopefully Klose back tomorrow, he’s a talker / organiser….and 6’4”!!!  I think Martin will play too.  

There has to be changes, I don't think anyone could argue. 
Klose seems an obvious swap for King.
After that , Semenyo would look likely, maybe Pring ( I thought JD was poor Saturday ). But the front line is interesting.
Semenyo/Martin/Weimann ?
Semenyo/Conway/Wells
Semenyo/Martin/Conway doubtful IMO
Semenyo/Conway/Wells
There are plenty of options, it's getting the balance right that is always difficult. Too many changes could have upset how we started the season, but the last 3 games, and specially Saturday, I don't think that is a problem. We could even go (depending on who's available) ;

Bajic
              Vyner - Klose - Atkinson
          Wilson - - - - - -- - - - - Pring

Scott - - Williams
            Weimann - - - - Semenyo
                           Martin

• Like 1

On 09/10/2022 at 06:48, robinforlife2 said:

I always find it a worry that defensively we are awful, especially when the manager was a defender and a leader himself. If he can't sort out a solid defence, it begs the question what he can actually do. 

Also the coaching staff need looking at fleming was a centre back was sacked in india says it all .

On 10/10/2022 at 12:20, ExiledAjax said:

Top work @Olé

Also a top appearance on OSIB with @petehinton and @Shtanley. Despite the abject performance in the game that was one of my favourite recent episodes. Nicely  balanced review that accommodated the idea that there's a difference between one terrible game and the bigger picture of the whole season. Rightly slagging off some of the horror performances, but not getting lost in "Pearson out" hyperbole.

I'm also very keen for a trip to Crocodile World. I'd also like to let you know about Tropical Birdland near Leicester, just if you want to broaden your horizons regarding exotic animals.

OSIB with @Olé and @petehinton is always when it’s at its best. Easily the best guests on the podcast. 

Edited by One Team
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Not sure about fleming hes not doing a very good job on set peices is he ?.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

27 minutes ago, DaveF said:

We're pretty good at attacking set pieces.

Ah, the balance!!!

We are joint 2nd best for goals scored from set-pieces, 2nd worst for conceded.

Although Fleming may have a bent towards defensive coaching, it will be a collective thing.  Not forgetting the only way we can improve our defensive set pieces is in training - against our attacking set pieces. Yin and Yang!

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Ah, the balance!!!

We are joint 2nd best for goals scored from set-pieces, 2nd worst for conceded.

Although Fleming may have a bent towards defensive coaching, it will be a collective thing.  Not forgetting the only way we can improve our defensive set pieces is in training - against our attacking set pieces. Yin and Yang!

Id say the defensive lapses are down to our defending coaches fleming and Pearson whilst our attacking credit surely goes to jason Euell .

• Confused 1