IGNORED

Quote of the season

Unan

1 hour ago, Harry said:

The thing that the common fan doesn’t understand is that managers look for a performance as much as a result. 
You’ll hear it from Pearson most weeks, as well as most other managers. 
The theory being that, if your performance is good, then in the majority of cases the result should follow. 
In this game, Hibs had 64% possession, 18 shots, 7 on target (vs Dundee Utds 1), nearly twice as many passes than their opponent, with a pass accuracy of nearly 80%. 
On paper, and on the pitch, the actual performance was dominant and in most cases, this would normally end in a positive result. This time it didn’t. And that will always happen on occasion. 
So to the common fan, it’s a bollox comment but to him and his players, they’ll be happy with the performance. 

To be fair, he’s got them 3rd in the table after 10 games, so given that 3rd place is the best you’re ever gonna get in that league, he ain’t doing too bad so far. 

I know you’re a big fan of Lee (me too, really - anyone who works as hard as he did for our club gets my support), but surely you know that’s not really the issue here, right?!

It’s clearly not the sentiment of what he’s saying that makes this laughable. Team played well, should’ve won but didn’t - that’s fine and I’d have thought even most “common fans”, to use your horrible phrase, will understand that.

It’s how he’s said it and the words he’s used. The language he turns to time and time again to get his messages across.

Any leadership role is about being able to communicate simply and effectively with people and this has always been a major weakness of his - at least his public-facing communication - and why he’s so widely derided and mocked by fans.

And, regardless of all that, while we can agree or disagree about what the “common fan” does or doesn’t understand about football… that’s still his audience when he’s giving these interviews. It’s his job to communicate effectively to/with those people!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

I think you can probably take that quote whichever you want, depending if you want to beat him with his quote’s or not. I think most fans with a slight understanding of the game would be able to work out what he’s talking about. Quite often hear people talking about Xg on here & generally it’s well received, but suddenly this quote is beyond people! Would say he’s seemingly doing a good job, which would be the same as Sunderland in most peoples opinion. COYR 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

The thing that the common fan doesn’t understand is that managers look for a performance as much as a result. 
The theory being that, if your performance is good, then in the majority of cases the result should follow. 
In this game, Hibs had 64% possession, 18 shots, 7 on target (vs Dundee Utds 1), nearly twice as many passes than their opponent, with a pass accuracy of nearly 80%. 
On paper, and on the pitch, the actual performance was dominant and in most cases, this would normally end in a positive result. This time it didn’t. And that will always happen on occasion. 
So to the common fan, it’s a bollox comment but to him and his players, they’ll be happy with the performance. 

To be fair, he’s got them 3rd in the table after 10 games, so given that 3rd place is the best you’re ever gonna get in that league, he ain’t doing too bad so far. 

Stop spitting facts @harry this is otib ... you must be new here ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

It’s a crap Premiership in Scotland with only two clubs that can win it. 

We are blessed in the Championship where 3 clubs come down each season with their lovely parachute payments.

So 50 % more teams in our league with a chance of winning it (3) than in Scotland where a lot less have a chance to win (2). Lucky us.

• Hmmm 1

20 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Only two clubs seem to be able to win the English Premiership ?

When did any other Scottish club win the Premier other than Rangers or Celtic?

In our PL Liverpool, Man City, Leicester City, Blackburn Rovers have all won i since it’s inception. Every season there 3 or 4 clubs competing for the title. This season, Arsenal have joined the race and Chelsea and Spurs are often in the running.

Our PL is far more competitive than the one north of the border.

• Robin 1

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

????listen to this one. The all knowing football ******* connoisseur……I’ll tell you something, as one of plenty on here that have played this game to a half decent standard I can guarantee that most of the players will be laughing at him for talking so much shit and persuading people like you to buy into it.

I await the Pearson interview on the next “percentile” win with interest.

Who’s proclaiming to be a connoisseur? 
Just simply saying that in the pro game nowadays, detailed analysis is everything. 
I played a decent standard too, just like you, but even if you’d played at Conference standard, you’d still be a million miles away from the level of analysis that goes into the performance review at the level Hibs are at. 
I’m just the ‘common fan’ as well, I’m not pretending to be any kind of connoisseur, but the level you and I played at is a far cry from the level LJ is managing and whilst you and I might have laughed at our manager for saying such things, at the level he is managing, the players are somewhat more professional than you or I and would take their performance review very seriously. 
For me, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with what he’s said. He’s said the performance was good, he was happy with all the metrics, but the result didn’t come. He’s basically said, in more common parlance “yeah we lost, but the boys done good, and we feel like we should’ve won that”. What’s wrong with that? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Spot on.

Unfortunately, many football fans have a weird obsession with trying to mock Lee Johnson at every opportunity. It's strange enough when fans of other clubs do it. It's even stranger when our own fans do it, given the immense effort he put into managing our club (regardless of your views on his ability).

1 hour ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Spot on.

Unfortunately, many football fans have a weird obsession with trying to mock Lee Johnson at every opportunity. It's strange enough when fans of other clubs do it. It's even stranger when our own fans do it, given the immense effort he put into managing our club (regardless of your views on his ability).

If he’d said we won the percentage’s then nobody would be having a dig. But using percentiles just starts to distance you from the audience.

I’m not convinced percentiles is even the right term in context either. 

Harry, nobody is disputing the analysis the pros do, but he should be saving this speak for his players and staff, not the media and fans. That is the criticism from the OP here.

Standard Deviation and z-scores coming next. 

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If he’d said we won the percentage’s then nobody would be having a dig. But using percentiles just starts to distance you from the audience.

I’m not convinced percentiles is even the right term in context either. 

Harry, nobody is disputing the analysis the pros do, but he should be saving this speak for his players and staff, not the media and fans. That is the criticism from the OP here.

Standard Deviation and z-scores coming next. 

I don’t see what’s wrong with the term ‘percentiles’. 
It’s a common word. Everyone who has a baby will study their little red book for the first few months checking which percentiles they’re in. 
Percentiles is different to percentages. 
He isn’t saying they won the percentages. He’s saying the percentiles. Which means he was happy with the performance of the team and that they tracked above expectation and that if they keep doing that, then results will come. 

If he’d said “we played really well and we should’ve won”, then he’d be saying the same thing. But why should everyone have to speak the same way. That’d be dull. I like that he’s bringing different parlance to what is usually a very clichéd industry. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Harry said:

Just simply saying that in the pro game nowadays, detailed analysis is everything. 
I played a decent standard too, just like you, but even if you’d played at Conference standard, you’d still be a million miles away from the level of analysis that goes into the performance review at the level Hibs are at. 
I’m just the ‘common fan’ as well, I’m not pretending to be any kind of connoisseur, but the level you and I played at is a far cry from the level LJ is managing and whilst you and I might have laughed at our manager for saying such things, at the level he is managing, the players are somewhat more professional than you or I and would take their performance review very seriously. 
For me, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with what he’s said. He’s said the performance was good, he was happy with all the metrics, but the result didn’t come. He’s basically said, in more common parlance “yeah we lost, but the boys done good, and we feel like we should’ve won that”. What’s wrong with that? 

Your initial post did not come across as you have explained above imo. Read more like a post that was saying you plebs don’t get it like I do. Anyway forgetting that possible misunderstanding I fully agree with the sentiment you state above, it’s the bullshit, none footballing language that LJ cannot resist using that annoys many people, especially those with years of experience of listening to it. You are addressing football supporters who pay for the privilege not people who get paid £0.5m a year to do as they are told and listen to whatever you say they will listen to so use football language.

As others have said, if he wants to talk “percentiles” in the Analysis Room with the lads and they are happy to buy into it then good for him but leave it there verbally and write a book for those that want to go into the percentile level of detail…….

14 hours ago, Harry said:

The concept of what you said may well be true but this thread isn’t about whether or not LJ was brining a typical manager. What we’re discussing is the way he said it. If he’d just said "I can't be too displeased with the performance” then it would have been ok. Unfortunately, he then said “….it was a win, although it wasn't."  This is the bit us common football fans find total bollocks. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I don’t see what’s wrong with the term ‘percentiles’. 
It’s a common word. Everyone who has a baby will study their little red book for the first few months checking which percentiles they’re in. 
Percentiles is different to percentages. 
He isn’t saying they won the percentages. He’s saying the percentiles. Which means he was happy with the performance of the team and that they tracked above expectation and that if they keep doing that, then results will come. 

If he’d said “we played really well and we should’ve won”, then he’d be saying the same thing. But why should everyone have to speak the same way. That’d be dull. I like that he’s bringing different parlance to what is usually a very clichéd industry. 

…and losing some of the audience / being laughed at for it.

When you worked in your office role…if someone started using “fancy” terms, you’d have been marking your “bullshit bingo” card.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

When you worked in your office role…if someone started using “fancy” terms, you’d have been marking your “bullshit bingo” card.

Exactly.  

He’ll mostly get away with it while the club are doing well.  It would be interesting revisiting the Hibs forum to check out his new fans’ views on it when the customary losing streak happens.

He just can’t see that he’s setting himself up for a fall when he spouts this stuff.  He’s just supplying a stick to beat him with when things go wrong.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Harry said:

The problem with Johnson is , he thinks he’s better than the “average fan “ he said so himself when in charge of us . I’m paraphrasing but didn’t he say , fans wouldn’t understand ? . He’s a arrogant **** & tries to bluff people with bullshit 

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

It's so common these days for people to see one quote, but never read or listen to the rest of the interview/conversation. So much taken out of context. 

If you were to listen to, or read the interview, the rest is pretty much plain English in common language.

He even states in one interview after the game that Stats don't win games.

Yes...he's not everyone's cup of tea...but I really don't get the ' pile on attitude'... especially after he worked so hard for the club. 

Yes it didn't work out...but he brought some fantastic football on occasion and some great memories. Both Man Utd and Man City stand out.

After the game, straight plain talking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

14 hours ago, The Journalist said:

I know you’re a big fan of Lee (me too, really - anyone who works as hard as he did for our club gets my support), but surely you know that’s not really the issue here, right?!

It’s clearly not the sentiment of what he’s saying that makes this laughable. Team played well, should’ve won but didn’t - that’s fine and I’d have thought even most “common fans”, to use your horrible phrase, will understand that.

It’s how he’s said it and the words he’s used. The language he turns to time and time again to get his messages across.

Any leadership role is about being able to communicate simply and effectively with people and this has always been a major weakness of his - at least his public-facing communication - and why he’s so widely derided and mocked by fans.

And, regardless of all that, while we can agree or disagree about what the “common fan” does or doesn’t understand about football… that’s still his audience when he’s giving these interviews. It’s his job to communicate effectively to/with those people!

I agree with this. I don't think there's any issue at all with the sentiment of what he said. I'm pretty sure after the Norwich game Pearson said we deserved a result and nobody batted an eyelid. 

But he's said it in an utterly ludicrous way that alienates fans and leaves him open to ridicule. I don't think fans are that confused by the nuance of what he says. It's just everybody's met enough bullshitters in their lives to know when they are in the presence of one. 

21 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree with this. I don't think there's any issue at all with the sentiment of what he said. I'm pretty sure after the Norwich game Pearson said we deserved a result and nobody batted an eyelid. 

But he's said it in an utterly ludicrous way that alienates fans and leaves him open to ridicule. I don't think fans are that confused by the nuance of what he says. It's just everybody's met enough bullshitters in their lives to know when they are in the presence of one. 

So he’s using nuance, and vocabulary that is not the norm in this very clichéd industry, yet you call it bullshit? 
It’s not bullshit. Bullshit is something that is made up. He’s not made anything up. He’s using the analytics of the performance to assert that he thinks the team played well. You may not like the vocabulary he uses, but it’s not bullshit. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

100% I would have done. But mostly because what was being spouted by some  dry bread no mark in a suit and was always more or less bullshit. 
Bullshit bingo would be to use ‘fancy’ words to attempt to make things look better than they are. Hiding the truth. 
LJ is not using bullshit bingo. He’s using a perfectly legitimate vocabulary to describe how he was was happy the detail of the performance. What he speaks is the truth, which is borne out by the facts. It’s not the type of BB you and I would usually see in some CFO who’s trying to mask his own poor performance. 

As I said earlier, I think it’s refreshing that we have a manager who is willing to display this vocabulary when most other managers use tired old clichés. We should embrace it rather than ridicule it. It surely gives us a bit more insight rather than “well, we should’ve won that game” or “we’re disappointed to have not got the 3 points” etc etc bland bland bland 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1