IGNORED

West Bromwich Albion away match thread

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

Superb gutsy win and one of the noisiest away ends I think I've ever been in. Well done to all the travelling fans, deserved that performance after the shambles at Brum 

Sounded good from the lower block, gutted they were being jobsworths and couldn’t get up there. Luckily the people around me stood all game and we still had a bit of atmosphere down the bottom there

48 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Yes, ok 

But I think we are good enough to finish top half -But only if we can avoid injuries and enough players keep form.  Tonight shows we are competitive and was Nige able before next season to have the money for two first team players we would be finally on our way to a top six finish. But we may still not have the cash and attendances are likely to fall given cost of living crisis.  We do need to remain patient 

Yes the key is keeping players fit. We are as good as anyone on our day. We just don’t have enough days!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Surprising and welcome result - richly deserved too. Doesn’t render the criticism of the last two Saturdays invalid and clearly a lot to be done but suggests the situation isn’t quite as desperate as many (myself included) might have believed on Saturday evening.

More pertinent is the fact that on the day of our last two wins I’ve had my flu shot (Last Weds) and COVID booster (Today). Ergo I’m going to make sticking sharp objects into my upper arm part of the match day ritual (There’s no EFL rules against supporters taking performance-enhancing substances, are there? If so I’ll just stab meself with a knitting needle, rusty screw or summat)

• Haha 9
15 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

“Can’t see where the next win is coming from”

Bore off those who came out with such nonsense 

This is the thing over the last season and a bit, even when we're not in good form and not playing well, we've never been too far away from getting a win from somewhere.

The up and down nature of performances and results is frustrating, but there is a tendency to overreact and catastrophise every setback.

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Was not aimed at you. I don’t even know who you are. 

It was a comment made by another poster who did the same thing that you have complained about. 

Fair enough.

I don't know who you are either- unless you really are David Brent and I really am Marina's Rolls Royce . But I guess that's the point of an anonymous forum where no one really knows anyone and anyone can say anything.

I haven' t missed a game since we payed Man U in the 1909 FA Cup Final etc

Perhap's @fat tony suggestion of a get together is a good idea and everyone can get up close and personal -some bringing their Ket and some bringing their carers.

3 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Interesting no playing out from the back from goal kicks tonight. Big Rob Atkinson pushing right up and Max looks for him.

But also 10 yards infield (in the main) rather than seeing lots of balls going out for throws.

3 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Welcome win, having the 3 in midfield certainly helped loads in my opinion. Good, disciplined performance by Sykes (bar the yellow for the rash challenge) shows he can play more as a RB when needed.

It’s something I’ve wanted for a good while.  We have used it in the cup and for parts of games, but certainly away from home, I think getting a solid base “early doors” is important.  You can build from that.

edit: the bit I forgot to write, was that even though a more conventional MF3 is something I’ve wanted for a while…I still wondered what we might lose without Weimann.  If I go back to Blackburn (a) he was lethal that day and showed the 3412 at its best.  Since then / international break, he’s been out of form.

For me, what we have is options to subtly tweak how we set up without having to destroy the whole system.

2 hours ago, RedRock said:

One of the few times Pearson has been able to put out, what I suspect, is his full first team squad (bar Naismith/Benarus). 

Can we keep them all fit? If so, we may be comfortable in a very tight league. 

When we have most of our key players fit, we can be competitive (not saying that guarantees wins) and be good enough for mid-table.  But when two or three are out it makes a big difference.  Pretty much just Naismith out tonight and therefore we can pick an 18 with a good bench.

But we are so thin, we have to take that into account, especially when we see wildly inconsistent performances.  In fairness (imho) Brum is the only shocker this season.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 3

Watched the game whilst working so didn’t post during the game. The performance shows up how frustrating this current team is, couldn’t defend against a set piece for toffee in the last 2 games, yet kept something like 12 corners and countless crosses out all night. Apart from the last 10-15 mins or so they looked pretty comfortable throughout.

To a player they all contributed something last night, and I thought our midfield was really good, James being in there really does seem to make a difference even if individually he doesn’t stand out like Scott does perhaps.

Nige will have a selection issue once Naismith is fit, does he drop Klose and then there is Vyner, he’s not been my favourite player for a couple of seasons, but he’s becoming a very tidy defender at present, he’s not undroppable but it would be harsh to simply bring Kalas back in.

Lastly reading back through the thread, nice to see that some of the more predictable melts and WUMS seemed to have their keyboards and phones taken off them last night. 

• Like 3

Interesting take on the West Brom forum from a few posters basically saying we bossed it first half, won the game with good passing and movement, then defended in numbers, allowing them to fail miserably second half.

We might not think it at times but we are being described as a half decent side and definitely improving our reputation with other fans (compared to previous seasons when any win away from home would greeted with “we just lost to the poorest team in the division, make no mistake”).

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Interesting take on the West Brom forum from a few posters basically saying we bossed it first half, won the game with good passing and movement, then defended in numbers, allowing them to fail miserably second half.

We might not think it at times but we are being described as a half decent side and definitely improving our reputation with other fans (compared to previous seasons when any win away from home would greeted with “we just lost to the poorest team in the division, make no mistake”).

West Brom fans and Norwich fans might call us a good side but don’t think Birmingham and Millwall fans would, and there in lies our big task ahead. Stop putting in performances like Millwall at home and Birmingham away. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

Watched the game whilst working so didn’t post during the game. The performance shows up how frustrating this current team is, couldn’t defend against a set piece for toffee in the last 2 games, yet kept something like 12 corners and countless crosses out all night. Apart from the last 10-15 mins or so they looked pretty comfortable throughout.

Wonder why that might be?  Interestingly, Max's stats last night were 4 punches and 2 high balls taken.  I tried looking to see when our goalkeeper last had that sort of stat - gave up in March 2021.  It was noticeable that on their first few corners they were all crowded round Max who dealt with them comfortably.  After that they started to cross further out towards the penalty spot which our defenders were able to deal with.

• Like 1