IGNORED

Swansea City at home match thread

The Robins face the Swans, otherwise known as Clwb Pêl-droed Cymdeithas Dinas Abertawe, at mid day on Saturday, the first of two tough home games in quick succession.

NP pre-match:

Joe Williams:

Last Sunday they won the South Wales derby 2-0 which moved them up to fourth having won seven of their last nine league games, while we’ve lost seven of our last nine and won only once on a Saturday home or away this season.

Over the years we’ve won 29, lost 23 and drawn 21 times against them. They did the double over us last season winning 1-0 at Ashton Gate and 3-1 at the Swansea.com Stadium.

Joe Allen and Jamie Paterson are getting closer to a return for them having been sidelined with injuries, Liam Walsh is also currently sidelined.

Based on NPs comments we are to assume that we are without KN and TK and there maybe a new face or two, so we might see Raphael Araoye, Joe Low, Jamie Knight-Lebel, Stefan Bajic or Omar Taylor-Clarke. Pearson has also confirmed that a defender, midfielder and centre forward have been struggling with a flu-like illness this week but admitted it's too early to make a call on their availability.

The ref is Andre Marriner, in what will be only his second Championship fixture of the season. Four of the five matches Marriner has officiated this season have been in the Premier League and he's issued 21 yellow cards and no reds. This will be his first Bristol City game since a 2-0 FA Cup defeat to Burnley in January 2017. The assistants are Mark Scholes and Akil Howson. The fourth official is Sam Purkiss.

They were founded in 1912 as Swansea Town and entered into the Southern League, winning the Welsh Cup in their debut season. They were admitted into the Football League in 1920 and won the Third Division South title in 1924–25. They again won the Third Division South title in 1948–49, having been relegated two years previously. They fell into the Fourth Division after relegations in 1965 and 1967. The club changed its name to Swansea City in 1969 to reflect Swansea's new status as a city.

They won three promotions in four seasons to reach the First Division in 1981. It was during the following season they came close to winning the league title, but a decline then set in near the season's end, before they finished sixth, still a club record. It was from here the club suffered a relegation the season after, returning to the Fourth Division by 1986 and then narrowly avoiding relegation to the Conference in 2003. The Swansea City Supporters Trust Ltd owns 20% of the club, with their involvement hailed by Supporters Direct as "the most high profile example of the involvement of a supporters' trust in the direct running of a club".The club's subsequent climb from the fourth division of English football to the top division is chronicled in the 2014 film, Jack to a King – The Swansea Story:

In 2011, they were promoted to the Premier League. On 24 February 2013, Swansea beat Bradford City 5–0 to win the 2012–13 Football League Cup (the competition's highest ever winning margin for the final), winning the first major trophy in the club's history and qualifying for the 2013–14 UEFA Europa League, in which they reached the round of 32 but lost over two legs to Napoli. They were relegated from the Premier League at the end of the 2017–18 season.

Their Head Coach is Russell Martin. A former defender, Martin began his playing career at Brighton & Hove Albion's youth academy. He established himself at Wycombe Wanderers in 2004, before moving to Peterborough United in 2008. Martin joined Norwich City in 2010 and made 309 appearances for the club. He then had brief spells with Rangers, Walsall and Milton Keynes Dons. During his playing career, Martin won five promotions (including two Premier League promotions.)

Although born in Brighton, Martin played in 29 internationals for Scotland. He moved into management in 2019 with Milton Keynes Dons and became head coach of Swansea City in 2021.

Martin on his style of play: ‘I played in teams who were dominant with the ball and loved it. I also played in teams who didn’t have much of the ball and hated it. My style is probably shaped by that and the teams I’ve enjoyed watching play football like Barcelona, Manchester City and Spain. I’ve tried to replicate that at the level I’m at and with the players I’ve had. If I didn’t do that, I probably wouldn’t have gone into coaching or management.’

He established a charitable foundation, initially set up as a football academy, named the Russell Martin Foundation. The charity aims to use ‘the power of football to help change people’s lives’ by providing access to football, education, and health courses in the local community. https://www.russellmartinfoundation.co.uk

Swansea fans sing ‘swim away’ it originates from September 1988, when after seeing their side win in Swansea, a group of Cardiff fans were chased into the sea near Swansea Civic Centre by a group of Swansea fans. Since then, Swansea fans have adopted the swim away song and gesture:

94EB5E74-33E4-4035-9866-DAB66F8AAB08.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Robin 1
53 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Think I'd take a point from this one with the two teams respective form and our selection issues.

I think we'll take the three points. I prefer playing a team in form as opposed to the pressure of playing a team that haven't won for ages. I'm really up for this one (shame I'm not playing), this feels like a big game and despite the early kick off I think we're in for a great atmosphere. Just like matches against Plymouth, although there is a long geographical distance, it has a derby-ish feel. I know it is not as intense as Rovers or Cardiff, but there will be a big crowd, the England v Wales element, the added tension of historical dust ups off the pitch, this is one to get the blood pumping COYR.

• Like 2

Nige making references in both his media interview and FF to:

1) we don’t have a big and strong team, so struggle against big and strong teams - which Swansea aren’t 

2) Swansea susceptible to counter attack

So for me this is a game to be patient, we need to be good at getting back into shape if we can’t pinch the ball high up, and spring from there.

Think Weimann comes back in, behind any 2 from 4….I’d go Conway / Wells personally….to exploit them on the counter.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Who knows which City will turn up today ! Feel that result is more important than performance at the moment, points breed confidence. Could be an interesting selection as well with the possibility of illness omissions. 
Hopefully shouldn’t get bullied today , will be about being disciplined when not in possession then using ours well. 
Atmosphere could be odd with early kick off , definitely possible trouble in crowd from Swansea end from recent experience. 
City to win 2 1