IGNORED

Swansea City at home match thread

Jerseybean

2 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

1-1.... shame we could not hold in, BUT a very good performance and if Semenyo had been sharper today we could have comfortably won it.

Hats off to Pring & Tanner and even Vyner none of whom put a foot wrong.

We have to keep with Conway & Wells up top.

Agree…but “even Vyner”?

• Like 4

Would’ve been happy with a point pre-march but ultimately leaving stadium annoyed.

Thought we were the better team up until our goal, and then we just… stopped pressing or doing anything that was working well?

Subs were poor and when the inevitable equaliser came, they looked like the only team who could win it.

Frustrated today, I lay all the blame on Pearson for his tactics and substitutions today. Killed the game.

Frustrated after that.

Edited by Bryans Left Peg
Typos
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Don’t even get me started on the subs

You must be one of if the most negative posters on here ( which is your right with this being a forum ) but can you not see this team is definitely making progress albeit very slowly , our displays are very very inconsistent been some very good been some very very poor ( Birmingham & reading ) however when Pearson first took over we could barely get in the oppositions half . I can see light at the end of the tunnel even if it is a long tunnel. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Very hard fought point. Will take that. Some really good defensive play and always gave themselves a chance.

I agree Swansea I thought were an attractive side without much substance.

Take a point I think the only things that disappointed me was the lack of ambition after going a goal up- and also one of wells or semenyo should have stayed on.

Points like today really add up at season end

• Like 1

Just now, AshtonRobin21 said:

I would have taken a point before kick-off. 

But I found it so frustrating how we lost all of our attacking threat once they equalised. 

They would have left gaps for us to counter-attack in the later stages. Semenyo and Conway would have been able to exploit the gaps. 

Decent match in fairness. Always easy in hindsight but wonder if Semenyo is better at the moment coming on with 30 to go.

Thought we worked incredibly hard without the ball and back three were very solid. Made them score a goal that needed a good finish. Only some good play stoped them creating more, but in hindsight Swansea were pleasing on the eye but did not end up creating that much in terms of clear chances. Sometimes if it’s got a bit wrong it’s important to at least get the point, which in fairness I thought we deserved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

I can see this being a draw.............but i obviously hope n pray that i am completely wrong.

Unless we scored a 2nd goal ........an equalising goal was always likely. Swansea are a very good team, so a draw, although disappointing, is a good result.

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

Mr Negativiyy also posted we would get stuffed pre game

Yes I did notice that , criticism where it’s due but ffs give the players a chance .

thought we were decent against a good side it goes to show how much we have improved over 18 months that we are disappointed with a draw , as for backs to the wall once they equalised with our record for conceding goals late that was always gonna happen , if you have played any standard of football you know sometimes that just how it is regardless of what ever you try to do 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

Just now, maxjak said:

Unless we scored a 2nd goal ........an equalising goal was always likely. Swansea are a very good team, so a draw, although disappointing, is a good result.

Tell you what I thought the best result was , not the 1-1 scoreline

But the performance of some of the younger players who haven’t found game time
and the return to some form and good signs from others

??

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, tin said:

A point was a fair reflection of the game, and Andre Marriner was excellent IMO. Semenyo should’ve buried that golden chance early on, but Swansea created bugger all despite their possession. 

Weird how people see things. I thought the ref was ******* awful. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Tell you what I thought the best result was , not the 1-1 scoreline

But the performance of some of the younger players who haven’t found game time
and the return to some form and good signs from others

??

Great Post. Very objective. 

12 minutes ago, redkev said:

You must be one of if the most negative posters on here ( which is your right with this being a forum ) but can you not see this team is definitely making progress albeit very slowly , our displays are very very inconsistent been some very good been some very very poor ( Birmingham & reading ) however when Pearson first took over we could barely get in the oppositions half . I can see light at the end of the tunnel even if it is a long tunnel. 

The channel tunnel is shorter pal 

A bit unlucky today: overall we deserved more IMO.

Shame, because our first half's performance was really good, and despite not finding the second goal, we coped well with Swansea's increased attacking possession in the second half: one deflected strike, and it's 1-1. ? Some free kick calls by the referee (gifted or not given) didn't help either.

Two points dropped but a good performance: pressing worked until the energies dropped, the emergency defensive trio did well, the ConWells partnership produced another goal (Tommy my MOTM), James was class, etc. 

Hopefully we'll be more clinical and lucky in other games...

Edited by Dan Robin

We had a great plan, sit in, nick the ball high up the pitch and create chances. Only a stunning goal spoiled what was a hard-working performance, with Wells and Vyner my stand outs. We'll probably find out later how badly flu affected the squad and 1-1 is a decent result. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, maxjak said:

WTF is wrong with Semenyo........since he was called up for Ghana, he has regressed?

0 composure. Can imagine he's pretty pissed off he will get barely if any at all time on the pitch for Ghana.

Thought we looked good until the subs. Was impressed with pring and tanner. Sykes was awful and Conway motm for me

6 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

0 composure. Can imagine he's pretty pissed off he will get barely if any at all time on the pitch for Ghana.

Thought we looked good until the subs. Was impressed with pring and tanner. Sykes was awful and Conway motm for me

Yep........at last Pring given a chance to prove himself, i am so pleased that he played well.  IMHO, i think he has been poorly treated by NP, i hope he will now be given a run of games?

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, maxjak said:

WTF is wrong with Semenyo........since he was called up for Ghana, he has regressed?

He seems to have reverted to kind -

As in he looks again like he has his boots on the wrong feet...

Just needs a goal,,any old scrappy thing that goes in & hopefully will get him sparking -

1 minute ago, tin said:

It’s all about opinions and I thought he did well, second only to the ref we had at WBA. Why awful out of interest? 

because he could not see how easily Swansea kept chucking themselves on the floor any time they felt like a free kick, also apparently no longer allowed to tackle

52 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Would’ve been happy with a point pre-march but ultimately leaving stadium annoyed.

Thought we were the better team up until our goal, and then we just… stopped pressing or doing anything that was working well?

Subs were poor and when the inevitable equaliser came, they looked like the only team who could win it.

Frustrated today, I lay all the blame on Pearson for his tactics and substitutions today. Killed the game.

Frustrated after that.

Not sure why you got a laughing emoji for this mate, I think you’re spot on.  I accept that Semenyo was not having his best game, but the fact is that we were keeping their back line occupied and frequently pushing them back.  From the moment he took Semenyo and Wells off (Wells - why??) Swansea were able to come forward at will, and from the moment Swansea scored there was no way we were going to win that game.  Very frustrating, because we should have taken all three points.  What on earth were Martin and Bell going to offer in places of Semenyo and Wells?

I’ve seen Sam Bell on many occasions now and sadly I still can’t see a league player there.  Happy to be proved wrong, but he showed nothing today.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tin said:

It’s all about opinions and I thought he did well, second only to the ref we had at WBA. Why awful out of interest? 

Inconsistent, gave little things like nudges and pulls one minute, then ignored them the next. Gave a foul against Scott in the first half, but missed several similar incidents in the second half, for both teams I’d add. 

9 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’ve seen Sam Bell on many occasions now and sadly I still can’t see a league player there.  Happy to be proved wrong, but he showed nothing today.

I said the same about Zak and seems like slowly, but surely,  I am being proved wrong, and I presently have same opinion as you on Sam Bell as he seems 'light weight'. Point is he has the chance to improve and may yet come good, but he currently seems miles away from a championship player but..

16 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Not sure why you got a laughing emoji for this mate, I think you’re spot on.  I accept that Semenyo was not having his best game, but the fact is that we were keeping their back line occupied and frequently pushing them back.  From the moment he took Semenyo and Wells off (Wells - why??) Swansea were able to come forward at will, and from the moment Swansea scored there was no way we were going to win that game.  Very frustrating, because we should have taken all three points.  What on earth were Martin and Bell going to offer in places of Semenyo and Wells?

Agree with you and with @Bryans Left Peg, exactly how I saw it. Now I’m waiting for my laughing emoji too. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Completely agree, understand he needs experience but it has to be on loan, subs were baffling unless it was illness related!

• Like 1

The only things I would say about subs was Wells the CF who was ill and Semenyo was out on his feet and wasn’t at it today.  Seen Bell a few times and he can finish but I was screaming at him when he wasn’t closing down or chasing their players. I think he will come good but did himself no favours today.

• Like 5

Was at the game today. Took a friend to experience a City game for the first time. He enjoyed the experience!

Thought we were really impressive first half. Shame we didn't take those early chances. When I saw Pring and Tanner in the back 3 I was worried, but have to say, they were brilliant. Vyner equally. 

Conway and Wells are a good partnership. Need to keep that going. Swansea dominated possession, as expected, but I thought they were rather toothless, or we just shut them out. I thought the subs were poor and invited them even more pressure, as if settling for draw - oh well.

Happy with the point overall, considering the players available. Got 3 difficult games coming up. Swansea fans were decent in fairness. A bonus is my mate enjoyed the spectacle and wants to come back! 

COYR

• Like 4
  • Robin 3

3 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

The only things I would say about subs was Wells the CF who was ill and Semenyo was out on his feet and wasn’t at it today.  Seen Bell a few times and he can finish but I was screaming at him when he wasn’t closing down or chasing their players. I think he will come good but did himself no favours today.

Yeah, that’s fair comment, and obviously others are a lot closer to this than I am sat in the stand.

All I’d say is that Wells, Conway and to a lesser extent Semenyo all looked like they had more energy on the 70th minute than Martin and Bell did in the 75th. 

And defending from the front, which is what we’d done so well, stopped happening. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Funny how we all see things differently. 

Personally I saw him chase down everything and was constantly running. Had a few of the through balls of been better then he could have scored. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, HOZDA said:

Was at the game today. Took a friend to experience a City game for the first time. He enjoyed the experience!

Thought we were really impressive first half. Shame we didn't take those early chances. When I saw Pring and Tanner in the back 3 I was worried, but have to say, they were brilliant. Vyner equally. 

Conway and Wells are a good partnership. Need to keep that going. Swansea dominated possession, as expected, but I thought they were rather toothless, or we just shut them out. I thought the subs were poor and invited them even more pressure, as if settling for draw - oh well.

Happy with the point overall, considering the players available. Got 3 difficult games coming up. Swansea fans were decent in fairness. A bonus is my mate enjoyed the spectacle and wants to come back! 

COYR

I was wondering whether we should be celebrating a point or be moaning about two points dropped. I was then going to ask poor players or poor tactics etc.    Your post answers me, thanks.

• Thanks 1

We need to start giving Semenyo the Massengo treatment. He has no intention of signing a new contract and he is simply playing within himself to avoid getting injured for the world Cup. I understand it, I really do as its a chance of a lifetime for him, however your bread and butter is club football and today he was shocking. He just wasn't at it. Wasn't closing down, had a really heavy touch and miscontrolled it many times. 

I'd have pulled him off at half time tbh. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, 22A said:

I was wondering whether we should be celebrating a point or be moaning about two points dropped. I was then going to ask poor players or poor tactics etc.    Your post answers me, thanks.

We had exactly that debate walking back to the car after the game.

I felt it was two points dropped. But two of the four of us felt it was a point gained. 

So I think it’s fair to say you could see it either way. Or that we all see things differently (players, tactics, teams,as well as referees @glynriley ?

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We need to start giving Semenyo the Massengo treatment. He has no intention of signing a new contract and he is simply playing within himself to avoid getting injured for the world Cup. I understand it, I really do as its a chance of a lifetime for him, however your bread and butter is club football and today he was shocking. He just wasn't at it. Wasn't closing down, had a really heavy touch and miscontrolled it many times. 

The others could just make do with a cup of tea. 

• Haha 6

I thought it was a good performance but the Swansea goal illustrated the problems with City’s zonal marking at corners. As soon as Ntcham came on as sub for Derby  he took up the same position, just outside the box,  at every Derby corner. Every time he was left unmarked as his position didn’t fit in with City’s zonal plan. Eventually the ball landed at his feet and bang it was a goal 

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

That was as poor as he's played - I assumed he'd been ill, but if not then his performance wasn't accpetable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Can’t really help those to be fair. 

You can by marking the opposition players who are threatening us just outside the pen area. These are strong, professional players who can easily score from that short distance. Crazy to leave them unmarked from corners or free  kicks. The rest of the team can adopt the zonal marking game. 

30 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

His contract runs until 2024 I think 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Blimey, that one goes back to Gazza joining Tottenham!

It goes back to when Rodney Marsh joined Man City from QPR. 
The manager, Malcolm Allison, was concerned that he wouldn’t have trained enough to last a full match so told him that he’d pull him off at half time, to which Marsh replied ,blimey at Rangers all we got was an orange and a cup of tea. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think that's asking Nige to go above & beyond his duties. 

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, italian dave said:

We had exactly that debate walking back to the car after the game.

I felt it was two points dropped. But two of the four of us felt it was a point gained. 

So I think it’s fair to say you could see it either way. Or that we all see things differently (players, tactics, teams,as well as referees @glynriley ?

I think for all Swansea's pretty football we dealt with them with not too many problems and we created by far the better chances so for me 2 points dropped. Thought we did well today 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I think for all Swansea's pretty football we dealt with them with not too many problems and we created by far the better chances so for me 2 points dropped. Thought we did well today 

When one considers that we have a flu epidemic in the squad and playing against a team that is very adept at keeping the ball, I conider thar was a very reasonable performance. We could do with a couple of wins soon to keep us as far away from the drop zone as possible.

• Like 4