IGNORED

Swansea City at home match thread

The only things I would say about subs was Wells the CF who was ill and Semenyo was out on his feet and wasn’t at it today.  Seen Bell a few times and he can finish but I was screaming at him when he wasn’t closing down or chasing their players. I think he will come good but did himself no favours today.

• Like 5

Was at the game today. Took a friend to experience a City game for the first time. He enjoyed the experience!

Thought we were really impressive first half. Shame we didn't take those early chances. When I saw Pring and Tanner in the back 3 I was worried, but have to say, they were brilliant. Vyner equally. 

Conway and Wells are a good partnership. Need to keep that going. Swansea dominated possession, as expected, but I thought they were rather toothless, or we just shut them out. I thought the subs were poor and invited them even more pressure, as if settling for draw - oh well.

Happy with the point overall, considering the players available. Got 3 difficult games coming up. Swansea fans were decent in fairness. A bonus is my mate enjoyed the spectacle and wants to come back! 

COYR

• Like 4
  • Robin 3
3 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

The only things I would say about subs was Wells the CF who was ill and Semenyo was out on his feet and wasn’t at it today.  Seen Bell a few times and he can finish but I was screaming at him when he wasn’t closing down or chasing their players. I think he will come good but did himself no favours today.

Yeah, that’s fair comment, and obviously others are a lot closer to this than I am sat in the stand.

All I’d say is that Wells, Conway and to a lesser extent Semenyo all looked like they had more energy on the 70th minute than Martin and Bell did in the 75th. 

And defending from the front, which is what we’d done so well, stopped happening. 

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Funny how we all see things differently. 

Personally I saw him chase down everything and was constantly running. Had a few of the through balls of been better then he could have scored. 

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, HOZDA said:

Was at the game today. Took a friend to experience a City game for the first time. He enjoyed the experience!

Thought we were really impressive first half. Shame we didn't take those early chances. When I saw Pring and Tanner in the back 3 I was worried, but have to say, they were brilliant. Vyner equally. 

Conway and Wells are a good partnership. Need to keep that going. Swansea dominated possession, as expected, but I thought they were rather toothless, or we just shut them out. I thought the subs were poor and invited them even more pressure, as if settling for draw - oh well.

Happy with the point overall, considering the players available. Got 3 difficult games coming up. Swansea fans were decent in fairness. A bonus is my mate enjoyed the spectacle and wants to come back! 

COYR

I was wondering whether we should be celebrating a point or be moaning about two points dropped. I was then going to ask poor players or poor tactics etc.    Your post answers me, thanks.

• Thanks 1

We need to start giving Semenyo the Massengo treatment. He has no intention of signing a new contract and he is simply playing within himself to avoid getting injured for the world Cup. I understand it, I really do as its a chance of a lifetime for him, however your bread and butter is club football and today he was shocking. He just wasn't at it. Wasn't closing down, had a really heavy touch and miscontrolled it many times. 

I'd have pulled him off at half time tbh. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
Just now, 22A said:

I was wondering whether we should be celebrating a point or be moaning about two points dropped. I was then going to ask poor players or poor tactics etc.    Your post answers me, thanks.

We had exactly that debate walking back to the car after the game.

I felt it was two points dropped. But two of the four of us felt it was a point gained. 

So I think it’s fair to say you could see it either way. Or that we all see things differently (players, tactics, teams,as well as referees @glynriley ?

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We need to start giving Semenyo the Massengo treatment. He has no intention of signing a new contract and he is simply playing within himself to avoid getting injured for the world Cup. I understand it, I really do as its a chance of a lifetime for him, however your bread and butter is club football and today he was shocking. He just wasn't at it. Wasn't closing down, had a really heavy touch and miscontrolled it many times. 

The others could just make do with a cup of tea. 

• Haha 6

I thought it was a good performance but the Swansea goal illustrated the problems with City’s zonal marking at corners. As soon as Ntcham came on as sub for Derby  he took up the same position, just outside the box,  at every Derby corner. Every time he was left unmarked as his position didn’t fit in with City’s zonal plan. Eventually the ball landed at his feet and bang it was a goal 

• Confused 1
24 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

That was as poor as he's played - I assumed he'd been ill, but if not then his performance wasn't accpetable.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Can’t really help those to be fair. 

You can by marking the opposition players who are threatening us just outside the pen area. These are strong, professional players who can easily score from that short distance. Crazy to leave them unmarked from corners or free  kicks. The rest of the team can adopt the zonal marking game. 

30 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

His contract runs until 2024 I think 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Blimey, that one goes back to Gazza joining Tottenham!

It goes back to when Rodney Marsh joined Man City from QPR. 
The manager, Malcolm Allison, was concerned that he wouldn’t have trained enough to last a full match so told him that he’d pull him off at half time, to which Marsh replied ,blimey at Rangers all we got was an orange and a cup of tea. 

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think that's asking Nige to go above & beyond his duties. 

• Haha 3
57 minutes ago, italian dave said:

We had exactly that debate walking back to the car after the game.

I felt it was two points dropped. But two of the four of us felt it was a point gained. 

So I think it’s fair to say you could see it either way. Or that we all see things differently (players, tactics, teams,as well as referees @glynriley ?

I think for all Swansea's pretty football we dealt with them with not too many problems and we created by far the better chances so for me 2 points dropped. Thought we did well today 

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I think for all Swansea's pretty football we dealt with them with not too many problems and we created by far the better chances so for me 2 points dropped. Thought we did well today 

When one considers that we have a flu epidemic in the squad and playing against a team that is very adept at keeping the ball, I conider thar was a very reasonable performance. We could do with a couple of wins soon to keep us as far away from the drop zone as possible.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Daniro said:

Disappointing to concede yet another goal from a corner.   How many is that this season?   Yes it was a heck of a strike and it got a wicked deflection, but Ntcham had time to take a flipping  run up!   Nobody paying any attention to him at all.

We'd cleared the corner so hardly a case of conceding from one. It was hell of a strike, sometimes you just have to put your hands up and say good goal.

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1
15 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Absolutely, thought Wells was very good today. His movement was good & his partnership with Conway was yet again evident. Semenyo was reactionary I throughout. COYR 

Semenyo was do below-par - he literally couldn't do anything right - that I wondered if he had a touch if this illness that has sidelined various squad members.  

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Semenyo was do below-par - he literally couldn't do anything right - that I wondered if he had a touch if this illness that has sidelined various squad members.  

You could well be right. I noticed Nige giving him some encouragement first half! I’m surprised Wells hasn’t had many mentions in other posts & topics. COYR