IGNORED

Atmosphere.

BUTOR

Really, bizarrely, embarrassingly bad yesterday. Passive. To the point where it was awkward. What is happening? We would never allow ourselves to get outsung to such a blatant extent by rivals in the past, and I’m talking 5 years ago not 20. Something has changed and I’m not exactly sure what it is. 

But what can we do about it? Push the club into extending S82? **** off the club and start a fan led movement to another block in the ground, nearer the away end? Is anyone actually arsed enough to make it happen? It’s such an easy place for away teams to come right now. And I don’t buy that it’s ‘the same at every Championship ground’ because even ******* Reading were louder than the Gate last weekend. I haven’t been anywhere as quiet this season and most grounds have actually made a bit of noise. We need to get on top of it, surely we’d all rather be in an engaging and noisy space than a dull and lifeless one.

Edited by Bouncearoundtheground
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 2

6 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Really, bizarrely, embarrassingly bad yesterday. Passive. To the point where it was awkward. What is happening? We would never allow ourselves to get outsung to such a blatant extent by rivals in the past, and I’m talking 5 years ago not 20. Something has changed and I’m not exactly sure what it is. 

But what can we do about it? Push the club into extending S82? **** off the club and start a fan led movement to another block in the ground, nearer the away end? Is anyone actually arsed enough to make it happen? It’s such an easy place for away teams to come right now. And I don’t buy that it’s ‘the same at every Championship ground’ because even ******* Reading were louder than the Gate last weekend. I haven’t been anywhere as quiet this season and most grounds have actually made a bit of noise. We need to get on top of it, surely we’d all rather be in an engaging and noisy space than a dull and lifeless one.

Just seems like all the fight and life has drained out of the fan base post covid for whatever reason and that is a little sad.  

Move s82 to A block Dolman - job done. 

• Like 3

Nearly Every home teams fans say the same , it’s just how it is away fans are nearly always more vocal than home fans unless the home team are 2 or 3 goals to the good .

out will come 

is this a library & where’s your famous atmosphere blah blah blah 

don’t think we are any better or any worse than the majority of other teams 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

What time did the game kick off for Swansea then..? It didn't seem to bother their supporters. 

Pretty standard for away fans, all congregated together in one place in those sort of numbers, to be vocal.

Just like us at West Brom.

• Like 2

At recent Anglo-Welsh derbies there seem to have been more of our ‘vocal’ element in Dolman A block next to the away fans. Yesterday there weren’t nearly as many as usual in that area. It also looked as if S82 was a bit more empty than usual too. 
It did mean it was a bit subdued yesterday. 

1 hour ago, redkev said:

Nearly Every home teams fans say the same , it’s just how it is away fans are nearly always more vocal than home fans unless the home team are 2 or 3 goals to the good .

out will come 

is this a library & where’s your famous atmosphere blah blah blah 

don’t think we are any better or any worse than the majority of other teams 

This topic comes up regularly and various remedies are suggested but ultimately it’s down to the positing of the way and hoe fans.

The police want to keep visiting fans congregated in one part of the stadium - the Atyeo which provides easy access to Ashton Rd and exiting. 

The acoustics in the Atyeo are excellent where a small number can create quite a din with sound deflecting off the roof out onto the pitch.

It’s not the same in the SS where most sound created dissipates upwards and the away fans can’t hardly them - hence the chants of “is this a library?”

Unfortunatey there’s nothing much that can be done to improve things.

Edited by Robbored
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The acoustics in the Atyeo are excellent where a small number can create quite a din with sound deflecting off the roof out onto the pitch.

It’s not the same in the SS where most sound created dissipates upwards and the away fans can’t hardly them - hence the chants of “is this a library?”

While I agree with a lot of this post Robbored, I'm still unconvinced by the argument that the Atyeo has excellent acoustics. It's pedantic and I think they are probably the best in the ground in the modernised form but I doubt that they are excellent in their own right.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Robbored said:

This topic comes up regularly and various remedies are suggested but ultimately it’s down to the positing of the way and hoe fans.

The police want to keep visiting fans congregated in one part of the stadium - the Atyeo which provides easy access to Ashton Rd and exiting. 

Unfortunatey there’s nothing much that can be done to improve things.

You'd have hoped that acoustics would have been a major factor when the stands were designed, but I guess not. However if people aren't making any noise, the design of the roof is mute. But none of this was an issue when we played Manchester United. Participation is key, but lots of people aren't motivated enough to involve themselves most of the time: if they stop looking at their phones, its only to wave them in the air with the flashlight on.

Also the timing of the kick off and the dull way the opposition played didn't help yesterday.

PS I can't really tell from your post whether you're a hoe fan or not, but given recent disagreements on the forum, I'm not going to come down on either side of that particularly thorny fence.

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought Swansea fans were pretty quiet.

I'm somewhat equidistant or was Saturday between the two, can really depend where people sit as to how sound travels in the ground (middle of Dolman), thought they were reasonable at times albeit nothing amazing. Thought some of ours were okay at times but again nothing amazing.

That's the other thing, I don't know why it is- perhaps the same everywhere, perhaps since the redevelopment but sound doesn't seem to travel so well within the ground!

I remember reading on here after our first game back v Brentford in 2015, post Dolman and South Stand redevelopment some Brentford fan said they could see we were clearly signing ie when the Singing Section was in the Atyeo but that they couldn't hear much! This was the same stand so can imagine how it is elsewhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Then they will moan that they can't stand up. 

And that it costs more. And that it takes so long to get out of the stand, they can't knock back 3 pints at half time, and that they aren't in their rightful home (which, depending on your age could be pretty much anywhere in the stadium), and that. And that. And that. And that.

Reality is, situation isn't gonna change, s82 have made the best of where they are. Yesterday most people were probably several pints light on where they usually are because it was an early kick off, and whilst I'm sure it won't be long until someone suggests that the remodel the stadium to keep a small section of supporters happy, there is nothing stopping anyone from having a sing if they want one, regardless of where they are.

Everyone enjoys a slightly different match day experience, most people are catered for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm somewhat equidistant or was Saturday between the two, can really depend where people sit as to how sound travels in the ground (middle of Dolman), thought they were reasonable at times albeit nothing amazing. Thought some of ours were okay at times but again nothing amazing.

That's the other thing, I don't know why it is- perhaps the same everywhere, perhaps since the redevelopment but sound doesn't seem to travel so well within the ground!

I remember reading on here after our first game back v Brentford in 2015, post Dolman and South Stand redevelopment some Brentford fan said they could see we were clearly signing ie when the Singing Section was in the Atyeo but that they couldn't hear much! This was the same stand so can imagine how it is elsewhere.

You would have thought that someone, possibly an expert on acoustics and sound design could have advised the club on the optimum part of the stadium to amplify sound to it's utmost?     Or be consulted on how to create an area of the ground where the correct design could be adopted to project the loudest sound towards the pitch?      I know, I know............when you cannot even fix the PA to function to a level where people can hear announcements............then what are the Pheckin chances.....Ha!!

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, maxjak said:

You would have thought that someone, possibly an expert on acoustics and sound design could have advised the club on the optimum part of the stadium to amplify sound to it's utmost?     Or be consulted on how to create an area of the ground where the correct design could be adopted to project the loudest sound towards the pitch?      I know, I know............when you cannot even fix the PA to function to a level where people can hear announcements............then what are the Pheckin chances.....Ha!!

Strange fact but modern stand and stadia design for whatever reason, certainly here but maybe everywhere seemingly are not so good for acoustics. Maybe it's a myth but I am sure I also saw it on here.

Don't disagree with your post though but I reckon if you took 10 older stands and 10 new builds, more of the former would retain, project whatever sound better.