IGNORED

Atmosphere.

BUTOR

It was a dour atmosphere yesterday other than first 10 of each half. Swansea weren't great either, about 200 singing for first 20 and when they equalised. 

I noticed our fans were very quiet at Reading last week, and more and more so recently. Blackpool away last season was the same, turned up in numbers, most stood, most silent. 

People outside of the South Stand/Dolman corner may be surprised to hear there are variable dynamics within a relatively small space, its not one unit. Youngsters seem obsessed with singing about Joey Barton, olders don't seem to like anything with more than 4 words in it, others just want to be Crystal Palace and everyone inbetween seems to be waiting for it to happen (including myself to be fair). It lacks any togetherness or anything decent and new. 

It'll come back around again, it always does, just needs a bit of sustained, relative success. E.g. A playoff push or cup run. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Why the answer always where the fans sit? They get moved and it doesn’t improve. The answer is more fans need to sing if we want a good atmosphere. 

Ultimately this.

However it can feed off each orher, away and home fans in close proximity. Might help things.

@Rob k By Block A, are you talking upper, lower or all of E34?

Only reason I ask is because only upper E34 is technically block A as was, lower was Block H.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

20 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

Perhaps making S24 a standing section? Dont believe it would block the view of any in 23/22/21 etc.

We have a singing section. Doesn’t matter where it is. The more people that sing, the better the atmosphere. Better songs might help songs spread around the stadium.  But ultimately this is football now in the main. Pretty much every ground has a poor atmosphere   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

We have a singing section. Doesn’t matter where it is. The more people that sing, the better the atmosphere. Better songs might help songs spread around the stadium.  But ultimately this is football now in the main. Pretty much every ground has a poor atmosphere   

Very true, do remember when the Massengo one was first used in August 19 and it was so loud. Same with the scott one last year when it was first sung. Need a refresh of some of the older ones such as Weimanns and need one for Atkinson, Naismith, and a much better one for Conway.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I guess, but I’d assume those so inclined will just start earlier?

Cardiff was a decent atmosphere for an early kick off, I really don’t think the time is important.

Not sure you can start that early unless you are hard-core! I prefer a morning coffee ? 

All due to poor ground layout and having the most expensive pay on the day in the league means your more likely to get well to do types in .

Going back to ground layout our fans being stuck in a small corner is poor thinking from the club , an example of this is Cardiff away , our fans were singing their hearts out but being sat on the half way line I could barely here our fans but the Cardiff city fans in the canton end were very audible.

FACT The original Dolman stand was there in the 80s/90s - when the atmosphere was rocking in the dolman.
The Park End was open air with no roof and that was rocking. The old enclosure was open air and that was rocking most games. So stories about the new ground having no atmosphere is bollox v what we used to have as a ground in the 80s and 90s IMO.
Sad fact is most City fans turn up and look at the phone for 90 minutes rather than watch the game and get behind the team. Another sad fact is that Bristol has very little passion for football v other parts of the country. All feels very plastic to me nowadays. Don’t really enjoy the home games nowadays, but hey, that’s progress?

Edited by Tin Soldier
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

FACT The original Dolman stand was there in the 80s/90s - when the atmosphere was rocking in the dolman.
The Park End was open air with no roof and that was rocking. The old enclosure was open air and that was rocking most games. So stories about the new ground having no atmosphere is bollox v what we used to have as a ground in the 80s and 90s IMO.
Sad fact is most City fans turn up and look at the phone for 90 minutes rather than watch the game and get behind the team. Another sad fact is that Bristol has very little passion for football v other parts of the country. All feels very plastic to me nowadays. Don’t really enjoy the home games nowadays, but hey, that’s progress?

Some of that feels City specific, some of that just society and football gentrification in general.

For us younger fans, Park End was behind goal was it? Trying to visualise a layout...when did Dolman become what it is today? I don't mean 2015 but A-G at the top, H-N at the bottom. Sounds like some of what you posted predates that.

10 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

This. 

Block B used to be lively. Open end used to be lively. East End used to be lively. 

People don't sing anymore (like they did) because football has changed from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s etc.

Reality is, those moaning are trying to recreate a sterilised version of something that might, once have been there. Generally if you want something similar to days of old, you'd have to go to an away game.

Oh well, hats off to those who try and improve the atmosphere, the rest of the people are probably wondering if their 35 quid spend would have been better off dropped getting tickets for the RSC or some other event.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

This. 

Block B used to be lively. Open end used to be lively. East End used to be lively. 

People don't sing anymore (like they did) because football has changed from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s etc.

Reality is, those moaning are trying to recreate a sterilised version of something that might, once have been there. Generally if you want something similar to days of old, you'd have to go to an away game.

Oh well, hats off to those who try and improve the atmosphere, the rest of the people are probably wondering if their 35 quid spend would have been better off dropped getting tickets for the RSC or some other event.

Agreed. Actually feel a bit sorry for the football fans of today’s era because you will never recreate the AG atmosphere of bygone years IMO. The whole day out at the football has changed. Real shame, but really glad I was there in the 80s and 90s. They were great days.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

Anyone give 2 ####s about those couple of hundred longstanding season ticket holders currently located in block A?

Just kick them out, move in the singing crowd and drop the prices by a tenner?

Bit harsh???

I'm one of them, and wouldn't be against it. Most of the old faces have started to relocate or stopped attending now. A lot of the time the student paper ticket brigade rock up there (cheapest seats in the stand) and irritate the life out of myself and others around me. On occasions its still lively and harks back but those occasions are few and far between. Get the dynamic back between vocal support and away fans I say. S82 demographic isn't exactly the Eastend of old and I doubt there'd be more trouble. And what ******* trouble? Nothing ever happens. 

If such a move were to be made it would have to be done independently through fans, club aren't interested. Would shut S82 down if they could. Jon has tried. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

If such a move were to be made it would have to be done independently through fans

Back to the future a bit then.

In mid 2000's, perhaps a bit earlier I remember though wasn't among them, a group of fans moved across from place to place.

Dolman G block, then somewhere (I forget where but a Block of the Williams close to the East End, the furthest one along).

Subbers I think it was?

3 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

I'm one of them, and wouldn't be against it. Most of the old faces have started to relocate or stopped attending now. A lot of the time the student paper ticket brigade rock up there (cheapest seats in the stand) and irritate the life out of myself and others around me. On occasions its still lively and harks back but those occasions are few and far between. Get the dynamic back between vocal support and away fans I say. S82 demographic isn't exactly the Eastend of old and I doubt there'd be more trouble. And what ******* trouble? Nothing ever happens. 

If such a move were to be made it would have to be done independently through fans, club aren't interested. Would shut S82 down if they could. Jon has tried. 

It’s been done in the past and worked out well (Williams Corner). 

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

The acoustics in the Atyeo are excellent where a small number can create quite a din with sound deflecting off the roof out onto the pitch.

This is such utter nonsense - not from you, but from everyone who uses this argument. 

When the Atyeo was the home end, people used to complain that the acciustics were rubbish..! 

What about the "good old days" what atmospheres were supposedly better... Did all this open terraced have good acoustics...?! 

If people sing & shout, it makes noise, end of. 

Of course acciustics can be improved upon by stadium design - but it's a simple case of making noise, generates noise. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

This is such utter nonsense - not from you, but from everyone who uses this argument. 

When the Atyeo was the home end, people used to complain that the acciustics were rubbish..! 

What about the "good old days" what atmospheres were supposedly better... Did all this open terraced have good acoustics...?! 

Of course acciustics can be improved upon by stadium design - but it's a simple case of making noise, generates noise. 

Why do you suppose that the Wedlocks, East End, covered end call it what you like was so atmospheric? 
It was the acoustics caused by the  salient and low roof that propelled sound out onto the pitch.

The away fans in the open could hardly be heard because the sound dissipated upwards.

Acustics make a huge difference.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think they were and are neither rubbish or brilliant. At the same time, usually away fans as a percentage probably have more standers, singers- it can be more concentrated especially for a derby game!

Agreed. Although you'll only really hear it all over if there are pockets of noise all around the ground. Sound doesn't travel so well between stands IMO.

Agreed to a point, how well it spreads or can be heard is more variable though. The noisier the fans though,  the noisier the atmosphere as a starting point.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Why do you suppose that the Wedlocks, East End, covered end call it what you like was so atmospheric? 
It was the acoustics caused by the  salient and low roof that propelled sound out onto the pitch.

The away fans in the open could hardly be heard because the sound dissipated upwards.

Acustics make a huge difference.

One of the most notorious stadiums in English football for intimidating & hostile atmosphere - acoustic design or because people made noise...? 

Screenshot_20221030_190435.thumb.jpg.54d731c25a2127b2a3536870cc59695a.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Why the answer always where the fans sit? They get moved and it doesn’t improve. The answer is more fans need to sing if we want a good atmosphere. 

Think it was a mistake to have a 'singing section'.  If these fans were spread around the stands there'd be more chance of getting others around them singing.  We never needed one in the past.  

• Like 1