IGNORED

Middlesborough away match thread

270 miles away from Bristol it’s Middlesborough, let’s hope for some fireworks from the Robins! Supporters will be able to pay on the day, cash only tickets will be available from the away ticket office due to there being no card facilities.

Here’s an away guide with thanks to Jack Phillips journalism.

For coach travel, season ticket holders coach tickets cost £29, and £34 for non-season ticket holders. The coaches will leave Ashton Gate at 7:45am.

You won't be able to park at Ashton Gate due to Bristol Bears vs Saracens taking place on Saturday.

Parking:

Middlesbrough College Car Park:

TS2 1AD

£2

5 minute walk from the stadium

Matchday Car Parks:

TS3 8AG

£4-£5

10 minute walk from the stadium

Train:

The station is a 15-20 minute walk from the Riverside Stadium.

Pubs:

Dr Browns:

TS1 2RR

12 minute walk to the stadium

The only pub for away supporters near to the stadium other than the stadium concourse.

Food:

There is a McDonald's a 10 minute walk away from the stadium, at TS4 2AG.

The Cleveland Centre in the centre of Middlesbrough provides several food choices, with any other restaurants you may want in close proximity to it. There's also a choice of Wetherspoons in the town centre.

NP pre-match press conference:

CP pre-game interview:

Carrick pre-match: https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/2022/november/03/Michael-Carrick--Pre-Bristol-City-Press-Conference/

Midweek they won 3-1 at Hull helped by two ogs and are currently 19th on 20 points.

The Riverside Stadium has been home to Middlesbrough since 1995. There is still a reminder of the club’s past at the front of the stadium, where they have erected the old Ayresome Park gates. Here’s a virtual tour of the stadium:

At the beginning of October Former Sheffield United boss Chris Wilder was sacked after 11 months in charge. When Wilder left Boro sat 22nd in the Championship after just two wins from their opening 11 matches: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63116336

This is the first home game for recently appointed head coach former Manchester United and England midfielder Michael Carrick. The 41-year-old had been out of the game since leaving Old Trafford after a three-game stint as temporary boss after Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's dismissal. Boro had been without a permanent manager since Chris Wilder was sacked, with Leo Percovich in interim charge.

When appointed he said “Middlesbrough was the first professional club I played for as a nine-year-old boy, so it's a very special feeling to be back here as a head coach," adding, "Growing up in the north-east myself I'm fully aware of what football means to people. It's a real privilege for me to be in this position and to feel all the passion and enthusiasm you've got for the game and for Boro."

He will be assisted by Jonathan Woodgate. The former Boro player returns to The Riverside having been the manager from June 2019 to June 2020.

Over the years we’ve won 28, drawn 22 and lost 35 times against them. Both games finished in 2-1 home wins last season.

Both Nigel and Curtis played for Boro (see photos)

NP was the Boro skipper and led them to two promotions to the Premier League he was a hugely important figure in the memorable rollercoaster years of the 1990s with Bryan Robson at the helm. Between July 1994 and May 1998 he made 138 appearances and scored five times.

Curtis Fleming’s Boro career 248 League appearances (+18 as sub), three goals.

The referee is Matthew Donahue, he started his career as an official at the age of just 14, before he gained promotion to the EFL list of assistants in 2014. After successive promotions through the refereeing ranks, he was promoted to the National List of Referees prior to the 2018/19 season. Donohue refereed 39 matches during his first season on the EFL circuit and continued his impressive rise when he was appointed to the Select Group 2 list of officials in the summer of 2019.

Donohue has issued 36 yellow cards and no reds in his 11 matches so far with all bar one being in the Championship. The Manchester-based official last took charge of a City game in April when the Robins won 1-0 at Stoke City.

He is assisted by Paul Hodskinson and Richard Wild, the fourth official is James Bell.

Duncan Watmore is a doubt for them following a head injury. We will be without Tanner and Naismith with Kalas also likely to be missing and Atkinson a doubt.

Boro banter

• The name Mydilsburgh is the earliest recorded form of Middlesbrough’s name and dates to Anglo-Saxon times (400–1000 AD), while many of the original villages that became part of the town appear in the Domesday Book of 1086
  • The Transporter Bridge is the only place in the UK where you can bungee jump from a bridge. If you take on the challenge, you’ll climb the 210 steps to the top, before diving the 160ft towards the River Tees
  • In 1801, Middlesbrough was a farm that was home to 25 people. Today the population is over 140,000
  • During the 1970s, actor Terry Scott, of Terry and June, managed to drive his car off the end of the Transporter Bridge and was only saved from the murky waters of the River Tees by the bridge’s safety net
  • Middlesbrough has a town in America named after it. Middlesboro is the largest city in South East Kentucky and sits in a basin between Pine Mountain and the Cumberland Mountains, which is believed to be an old meteorite crater
  • Film director Ridley Scott is from the North East and based the opening shot of Blade Runner on the view of the old ICI plant at Wilton. He said: “There’s a walk from Redcar … I’d cross a bridge at night, and walk above the steel works. So that’s probably where the opening of Blade Runner comes from. It always seemed to be rather gloomy and raining, and I’d just think “God, this is beautiful.” You can find beauty in everything, and so I think I found the beauty in that darkness.” Apparently the site was also considered as a shooting location for one of the sequels to Scott’s Alien films
  • Boro’s old Ayresome Park ground featured in the 35th edition of the Guinness Book of Records – not for football, but for being the home of the largest reported advertising hoarding, which was painted on the roof of the North Stand by sponsor Heritage Hampers
  • During the 1966 World Cup, the North Korean team stayed on Teesside and beat Italy at Ayresome Park. They trained at the ICI chemical works, where many locals would turn up to watch them practice
  • When Middlesbrough Railway Station was badly bombed by the Luftwaffe during World War Two, the Evening Gazette gave only a cursory report of the event, playing down the effects on the town to prevent the enemy learning that the bombing raid had been a success, which was a common strategy at the time

Pubs

There aren’t too many near the ground unfortunately - with many people having to drink in the city before travelling to the stadium. If you like real ales and the smaller micropub, then you are in for a treat, as in Middlesbrough Town Centre, there are four Micropubs, all located very close to one another.

They are:

The Infant Hercules (Grange Road), https://www.facebook.com/TheInfantHercules/

Sherlocks (Baker Street) https://www.facebook.com/people/Sherlocks/100063651815867/

The Twisted Lip (Baker Street) https://placejuice.com/twisted-lip-4rpwbds

The Devil’s Advocate (Borough Road) https://www.facebook.com/devilsavocateboro/

Dr Browns,135 Corporation Road, Middlesbrough, TS1 2RR, https://www.facebook.com/doctorbrowns1/ A 12 minute  walk from the stadium, the pub serves real ales, offers Sky TV.   

CD367690-95F9-4CB3-AB3F-B8ABBDB3C62A.jpeg

0FDBDC4D-7302-4875-82EC-6A19856ECE51.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 9
  • Robin 1
2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Every time I went to the old stadium, it was freezing cold, five layers not sufficient, the Boro fans wearing just a replica shirt or even some naked from waist up.

And we lost every time.

Not every time. A select few witnessed City's first win in several generations....

23 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Deadest Match Day Thread in a while, nobody cares for City? Or nobody cares for Boro?

Great work as always @Jerseybean

If anyone else is feeling like me then honestly there's been so much football, so frequently, for so long now. It's exhausting trying to keep up with it. Perhaps after that a lacklustre game is less of a draw for some.

Since the COVID haitus we've had barely a month off. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Has this been confirmed?

Hoped he would be back today

In short, Nigel Pearson has revealed/implied that Rob Atkinson (illness) and Tomas Kalas (calf) are possibles - to make the squad, at least, having trained this week - but Kal Naismith (calf) has been ruled out. In terms of suspensions, George Tanner will serve the first of his three-game ban.

28 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

No Atkinson again today which I’m a bit disappointed by. Hoped he would be back in the side. 

Maybe, but I'm glad it's giving Cam Pring the chance to shine.  When Atkinson is fit again, I would drop JD and switch Cam to LB.  He is everything that JD is not in my opinion and it's been a mystery to me why JD is being selected week after week when Cam looks like a much better option.  I assume that there is something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.

ps. why is J D S being changed to J D. Does J D S have a meaning I am unaware of?

Edited by wendyredredrobin
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Deadest Match Day Thread in a while, nobody cares for City? Or nobody cares for Boro?

Great work as always @Jerseybean

28 hrs on, 2 hrs before kick-off , 20 comments and 19 people browsing..... I think that must be a record and probably about where the enthusiasm is at the moment.

We need a win to balance the books in our 20th game of this season

but @Jerseybean on form as usual.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

In short, Nigel Pearson has revealed/implied that Rob Atkinson (illness) and Tomas Kalas (calf) are possibles - to make the squad, at least, having trained this week - but Kal Naismith (calf) has been ruled out. In terms of suspensions, George Tanner will serve the first of his three-game ban.

But this is the press, do you ever trust the press?

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Everyone was watching the cricket!  Boy, we made hard work after the opening partnership!

Fevs, now that you've recently appeared on both the OSIB and Forever Bristol City podcasts, is there any chance you're going to get an invite to the totally independent and in no way unofficially official 3 peeps podcast?