IGNORED

Nathan Jones (now been sacked)

Northern Red

Didn’t pull up any trees at Stoke, so quite a gamble in my book.

Some of their more cynical fans are saying it is planning for life if they go down, must admit I’m not sure he’s sophisticated enough to motivate Prem players.

Looks like it is him, so time will tell.

• Like 11

He’s got a good record managing on a budget at Luton  but, apart from his brief unsuccessful sojourn at Stoke, he’s no experience  at a higher level. I’m not saying he can’t do but he might have a problem with some of the players’ egos 

28 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Spot on, they are straying back into Nigel Adkins territory with this appointment.  Saints once had the vision to appoint Mauricio Pochettino so the fans are unlikely to be excited by Nathan Jones .

In fairness, Adkins got them two promotions and wasn't doing atrociously for a newly promoted side when Saints sacked him. It's not the worst possible territory for them to stray into.

Not convinced on Jones but we'll see. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Didn’t pull up any trees at Stoke, so quite a gamble in my book.

Some of their more cynical fans are saying it is planning for life if they go down, must admit I’m not sure he’s sophisticated enough to motivate Prem players.

Looks like it is him, so time will tell.

Thanks GC. Sophisticated was the word I’ve been looking for. 
I was thinking how he’s just not got the personality, charisma, demeanour, etc to be a Premier League boss. Sophisticated is the word I wanted to use to encapsulate that. 

He’s basically a ‘council house’ manager. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

He looked a very sick man at Stoke

Dunno how he is going to cope in the Prem

A very strange guy

Unless you’re a Luton fan, he’s a very dis-likeable (is that a word?) bloke.  Plays the victim.  That won’t wash in the PL.

Will be interesting to see how he does.

Credit for what he has done at Luton though.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Unless you’re a Luton fan, he’s a very dis-likeable (is that a word?) bloke.  Plays the victim.  That won’t wash in the PL.

Dislikable.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Definitely suited a ramshackle club like Luton punching above their weight

Couldn't do it with the expectation at Stoke. I'd be horrified if I was a Southampton fan

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Disagree on this one, he's always spoken very respectfully about us as a club (not seen anything post-Naismith either) and has done an amazing job bringing Luton up through the leagues. If Pearson were to leave he would be my top choice as a replacement if he doesn't end up at Saints.

• Hmmm 1

13 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Disagree on this one, he's always spoken very respectfully about us as a club (not seen anything post-Naismith either) and has done an amazing job bringing Luton up through the leagues. If Pearson were to leave he would be my top choice as a replacement if he doesn't end up at Saints.

In truth, the reality probably lies somewhere inbetween because all people are neither all good or all bad.

The thing that probably surprises me more, is the fact he is prepared to leave them again after having him back.

I know they say there is no such thing a loyalty in football, but blimey.

Edited by AppyDAZE

Very strange to get rid of Hasenhüttl imho. Yes they’ve only treaded water during his tenure - they are in the same position as when he took over 4 years ago, 18th - but what do Southampton fans expect with the squad they have which is young and inexperienced and lacking any goals at all? Jones’ only move has been to Stoke where he couldn’t do anything and he will take them down. Would be livid if I was a Southampton fan but it’s a classic case of be careful what you wish for! 

23 minutes ago, lenred said:

Very strange to get rid of Hasenhüttl imho. Yes they’ve only treaded water during his tenure - they are in the same position as when he took over 4 years ago, 18th - but what do Southampton fans expect with the squad they have which is young and inexperienced and lacking any goals at all? Jones’ only move has been to Stoke where he couldn’t do anything and he will take them down. Would be livid if I was a Southampton fan but it’s a classic case of be careful what you wish for! 

He did well to survive not one but two nine goal defeats mind !

A local reporter on the radio was saying he is bit of a introvert and never connected or was close to his coaching staff

Probably a good thing , as the Club replaced them all end of last season ?

Thats never likely to end well

Bloke previously at Brentford , can’t recall his name , pulling the strings there