IGNORED

Lee Johnson

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Having got as far as getting an interview if LJ has persuaded Fleetwood to appoint him it will be his 6th managerial position in 10 years, with frankly very little to show for it, and now 3 consecutive sackings.

Though he evidently shines at interviews

This always amuses me more than it should because we love to cast football as some kind of basket case. For those of you who have interviewed and hired people, when was the last time you cross referenced prior employers and checked on their financials, awards, or any other measure of performance during the tenure of someone you were interviewing?

People don't, they take prior employers as simply qualifying relevant experience, and form their view based on actual interview. Did I like their answers, did I come away from it feeling like they will add something new to what we do etc? I hate the idea LJ is seen to be gaming the system. Yes he is full of it, but this is how interviews work in literally every single line of business.

Don't hate the player hate the game.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Olé said:

This always amuses me more than it should because we love to cast football as some kind of basket case. For those of you who have interviewed and hired people, when was the last time you cross referenced prior employers and checked on their financials, awards, or any other measure of performance during the tenure of someone you were interviewing?

People don't, they take prior employers as simply qualifying relevant experience, and form their view based on actual interview. Did I like their answers, did I come away from it feeling like they will add something new to what we do etc? I hate the idea LJ is seen to be gaming the system. Yes he is full of it, but this is how interviews work in literally every single line of business.

Especially in football management, where every candidate for every job will have at some point been sacked for poor performance. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Especially in football management, where every candidate for every job will have at some point been sacked for poor performance. 

Exactly. If every job interview had the sole criteria of being in highly successful jobs, stating the bleeding obvious but 90% of jobs wouldn't be filled. Lee Johnson is not gaming football, in most lines of work you are picking from the available shortlist not asking how many trophies they've won.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Olé said:

Exactly. If every job interview had the sole criteria of being in highly successful jobs, stating the bleeding obvious but 90% of jobs wouldn't be filled. Lee Johnson is not gaming football, in most lines of work you are picking from the available shortlist not asking how many trophies they've won.

Basically being good at interviews is not exactly a bad skill to have...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Every candidate, except, er, Lee Johnson, when he went to Barnsley from Oldham, and then when he was "interviewed" by Mark Ashton and left Barnsley to come here......

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Maybe so, but LJ's now been 'sacked for poor performance' 3 times in as many years and that must say something surely.

As he keeps on getting another position the only conclusion must be is he's outstandingly persuasive at interviews, but unfortunately it all seems to go downhill from there.

You'd think those interviewing LJ would have noticed this but football boards can become desperate, especially when choices 1 & 2 have apparently turned them down, and perhaps with very few viable candidates left Fleetwood will cling to the hope that surely he will actually be successful somewhere at some stage.

LJ's managed some big clubs so despite his lack of success he'll be seen as quite a big name for Fleetwood you'd imagine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Maybe so, but LJ's now been 'sacked for poor performance' 3 times in as many years and that must say something surely.

As he keeps on getting another position the only conclusion must be is he's outstandingly persuasive at interviews, but unfortunately it all seems to go downhill from there.

You'd think those interviewing LJ would have noticed this but football boards can become desperate, especially when choices 1 & 2 have apparently turned them down, and perhaps with very few viable candidates left Fleetwood will cling to the hope that surely he will actually be successful somewhere at some stage.

LJ's managed some big clubs so despite his lack of success he'll be seen as quite a big name for Fleetwood you'd imagine.

Blimey. Would you like a glass of water to help wash down that vitriol. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Every candidate, except, er, Lee Johnson, when he went to Barnsley from Oldham, and then when he was "interviewed" by Mark Ashton and left Barnsley to come here......

"Every" was a bit of an exaggeration, but the vast majority certainly, especially in the lower leagues.

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

But to @Olé's point...no it doesn't really. Interviewers don't really put much regard by the technicalities of prior performance in most jobs, and in football management it's even less of a factor.

23 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

"Every" was a bit of an exaggeration, but the vast majority certainly, especially in the lower leagues.

But to @Olé's point...no it doesn't really. Interviewers don't really put much regard by the technicalities of prior performance in most jobs, and in football management it's even less of a factor.

LJ will do well for one season at Fleetwood and then it will all come tumbling down. I remember LJ as a player with us and he was absolutely poor. 2006/7 even though he was part of the promotion team I felt he was lacking in team spirit and the willing to play.

His managerial career also is very sketchy and inconsistent. 

I have never ranked him as a decent player, and he is also a poor manager.

Not sure why we all keep talking about the bloke. Thank God he is not part of Bristol City anymore.

• Like 1

I think LJ was/is a talented coach and good a developing players. He has a good reputation in football as an intelligent innovator, which explains why he’s usually in work. But I think he’s poor at man management. Footballers are fairly straightforward blokes who tend to respond to a bit of fear as well as respect. LJ was never a great player and he’s still young. He never commanded the respect of senior players. Some of our current squad may not like NP but they know they can’t muck him about. It all came too quickly for LJ. If he’d spent 10 years as a coach I could see him managing into his 60’s. As it is, he must be running out of road. (Nb- texting at 7am because I’ve got a bloody awful Covid and haven’t slept for 2 days!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Olé said:

I've done lots of recruitment interviews and they've been invaluable. But I work in a field where individual performance is difficult to assess, there are no win/lose stats or league tables, the candidates haven't already given extensive interviews on national media, the recruitment and tactical decisions they've made haven't played out in front of thousands of spectators plus TV cameras, and there's no way of trying to work out whether in their previous roles they've created coherent, consistent and motivated teams that all know what they are meant to be doing in any situation.

By now, everyone in football should know what LJ is like. There are some things an interview will clarify, such his motivation for that particular job and willingness to work within the intended structure. But if they don't already know LJ's strong and weak points, and fall for his charms during the interview, then they deserve everything that's about to happen to them ?

• Like 5

People saying hes been sacked in his last 3 jobs for poor performance but to look it at it another way

-sacked from Bristol city but guided club from relegation candidates to solid top half team 

-sacked from sunderland despite them being in the top 6 at the same time (maybe even 3rd?)

-sacked after guiding Hibs into europe following a poor start to the following season 

Not saying these are my views but some people almost implying his last 3 jobs have been disastrous failures whereas if you were him you would easily be able to spin it the other way...and knowing Johnson he most definitely will!

I dont understand the hate for Johnson , I understand he might not be a favourite but you have to try and have some balance and fairness in assessing things. 

Edited by The Humble Realist
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

31 minutes ago, red panda said:

I've done lots of recruitment interviews and they've been invaluable. But I work in a field where individual performance is difficult to assess, there are no win/lose stats or league tables, the candidates haven't already given extensive interviews on national media, the recruitment and tactical decisions they've made haven't played out in front of thousands of spectators plus TV cameras, and there's no way of trying to work out whether in their previous roles they've created coherent, consistent and motivated teams that all know what they are meant to be doing in any situation.

By now, everyone in football should know what LJ is like. There are some things an interview will clarify, such his motivation for that particular job and willingness to work within the intended structure. But if they don't already know LJ's strong and weak points, and fall for his charms during the interview, then they deserve everything that's about to happen to them ?

Much to agree with there re the interview part.

As I posted before, going in without the transfer window being open is a real opportunity to have to work with what he’s got.  Go and coach the players on the training ground, find the system you want to play with, etc.  Re coaching, there seems to be a given that he’s a good coach.  I think some of that is based on his innovation, and picking certain players to evidence it, e.g. Brownhill.  But there are still question marks for me, because there are plenty of players who didn’t improve under him too.  So I’m gonna sit on the fence, and watch how he does.

Will be interesting to see how the two Celtic loanees do, as they will’ve been brought in via Brown’s connections.  Montgomery has only played 35 mins in the EFL trophy so far, whereas Lawal has played 4 full games.

There will of course be a continuation of the “fascination of LJ”, because he was here for a long time as player and manager.

Assuming he gets the job! ???

1 hour ago, Bedred31 said:

I think LJ was/is a talented coach and good a developing players. He has a good reputation in football as an intelligent innovator, which explains why he’s usually in work. But I think he’s poor at man management. Footballers are fairly straightforward blokes who tend to respond to a bit of fear as well as respect. LJ was never a great player and he’s still young. He never commanded the respect of senior players. Some of our current squad may not like NP but they know they can’t muck him about. It all came too quickly for LJ. If he’d spent 10 years as a coach I could see him managing into his 60’s. As it is, he must be running out of road. (Nb- texting at 7am because I’ve got a bloody awful Covid and haven’t slept for 2 days!)

Good reputation, from who, all the podcasts I’ve listen to tend to take the piss out of him, a lot of ex players take the piss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glen hump said:

Good reputation, from who, all the podcasts I’ve listen to tend to take the piss out of him, a lot of ex players take the piss.

Those podcast guests are generally washed-up piss-head wasters who had talent and didn’t fulfil it because they liked the beer and the sniff too much. That’s why they get invited onto these shows - because they have ‘hilarious’ stories about how they shat in each others bags and stuff!! 
Exactly the sort of people who only get on with certain managers 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

Those podcast guests are generally washed-up piss-head wasters who had talent and didn’t fulfil it because they liked the beer and the sniff too much. That’s why they get invited onto these shows - because they have ‘hilarious’ stories about how they shat in each others bags and stuff!! 
Exactly the sort of people who only get on with certain managers 

Not sure what you’ve listened to but not the ones I have, what ex players have been on the Coke ?