IGNORED

Lee Johnson

23 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Other than taking over a shambles of a Club , players fighting on the pitch and off it, in danger of dropping to League Two , steadied us and swiftly built a PROMOTION side , took us up and with a team of waifs and strays got us to a PO Final.

The promotion alone is something his son has never achieved

Since 1980 our five highest finishes in the second tier have been as follows;

Gary Johnson 4th

Lee Johnson 8th

Jimmy Lumsden 9th

Gary Johnson 10th

Gary Johnson 10th.

Yes, he achieved consecutive 10th place finishes. So aside from transforming the shambles he inherited under Tinnion, winning promotion in his first full season & then making the playoffs final the following one, he also delivered 2 more of our best 5 finishes in 43 years.

But apparently that’s not “success” in our context, absolutely **** me.

• Like 3
  • Flames 4

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

Gary Johnson managed us for longer than Lee. Where’s Gary’s 50-page thread? 
I doubt he’s had more than 50 posts about him in the 13 years since he left. 

Main reasons are:

1. He didn’t also play for us

2. Social media has grown in those 13 years

3. Human nature of social media activity tends to focus on being negative / critical

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Since 1980 our five highest finishes in the second tier have been as follows;

Gary Johnson 4th

Lee Johnson 8th

Jimmy Lumsden 9th

Gary Johnson 10th

Gary Johnson 10th.

Yes, he achieved consecutive 10th place finishes. So aside from transforming the shambles he inherited under Tinnion, winning promotion in his first full season & then making the playoffs final the following one, he also delivered 2 more of our best 5 finishes in 43 years.

But apparently that’s not “success” in our context, absolutely **** me.

Jimmy L was he even that good? 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Gary Johnson managed us for longer than Lee. Where’s Gary’s 50-page thread? 
I doubt he’s had more than 50 posts about him in the 13 years since he left. 

A bit of an exaggeration there - I have made many posts myself about GJ, mostly along the lines that the players should have gone, not him.

That's by the by, my point above was there are plenty of other subjects apart from LJ where what could be seen as excessive interest is shown on here.

Case in point is a 96 page thread on top of P1 atm, about the kit suppliers, almost twice the size as this LJ one.

Plus that one isn't being unnecessarily bloated by posters feeling they have to answer accusations of being vitriolic...........

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
97 pages now.

16 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Inherited Joe Jordan’s team after about 3 games when Joseph went to Hearts.

Started going pear shaped when he had to make his own decisions on signings (after Martin Scott).

Blackburn at home (4:2), Swindon away (1:0), that was it, wasn't it? Might've been a league cup game, too (a draw at West Brom, just checked). We don't start too many seasons at this level with two wins in the league ...

36 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Blackburn at home (4:2), Swindon away (1:0), that was it, wasn't it? Might've been a league cup game, too (a draw at West Brom, just checked). We don't start too many seasons at this level with two wins in the league ...

Winder if Joe regrets that decision as much as we do? We'd have gone straight up again that season I reckon.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, glynriley said:

Winder if Joe regrets that decision as much as we do? We'd have gone straight up again that season I reckon.

Apparently he was being told at the time that he would stand a far better chance of being picked to manage Scotland if he was the boss of a fairly large Scottish club. Like yourself I believe we had the momentum that season under Jordan to propel ourselves into the top flight. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, glynriley said:

I'd imagine he has ruminated on that once or twice since then. It's difficult to see us doing any worse than 9th that season if Joe had stayed, and very tempting to imagine we might've done a little better.

• Like 2

On 09/12/2023 at 23:29, cidercity1987 said:

Johnson going to Fleetwood was a strange move, a decision made by a bloke who cannot bear to be out of work I think.

Once he gets sacked in the near future that should be it for his managerial career, he should focus on Talk Shite/Sport

Fixed. 

Having never been coached by Lee it’s impossible for me to say if he’s any good or not. 

However what Lee does is talk a good game which makes him perfect for tv and radio. 

Lee has been a bit of a failure at any club he has stayed at long enough for a view to be given. When Fleetwood finally decide to get shot he will be at a real crossroads as taking and failing again would probably damage his “expert” credentials! 

Thing is, if he concentrated on the main aspects of football management he would be a fine league 1 coach/manager. Unfortunately, bullshit baffles brains. He worries so much about small details here and there and seems to forget the main bit of the job. Just an observation on my part, but I’m sure he will end up in league 2 job shortly.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Bloke needs a break from the game 

I think that’s probably fair. For all the stick he gets, Fleetwood were an odd fit - pretty much the smallest club at that level and success at this point in time would be being just outside the relegation zone. There wasn’t any opportunity to progress and the sack was a case of when as opposed to if. Whether people like him or dislike him, it was a marked step down from us, Sunderland or Hibs and I can’t help but think he’d have been better served taking time out post Hibs to recharge and analyse why it goes wrong in a consistent way for him. As it is, he’s probably done at above L2 level now.

No axe to grind with him, no smartearse comments. Just appears he’s made a bad choice and shot himself in the foot.

• Like 11