IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

6 hours ago, chinapig said:

I'm always sceptical of this argument. Southgate had the sense and the nerve to drop Rooney and rebuild from there with younger players. Rooney would have been a drag on progress not an inspiration. For Rooney read Bale.

Fair point if we were talking about England, in this case (Wales) their manager is less experienced and he doesn't have the relative luxury of the great depth of England U21 players that Southgate had already worked with previously.

I am not a Bale fan at all but I could see the point Rush was making. They could ditch the over 30s and still have a half decent go at qualifications but it might take a long time by which time Page would have left and they could be in a bit of turmoil.

The one thing that's stood out for me, is how European football has become so predictable and pedestrian.

You can watch European teams, how they are set up, and can predict exactly where the ball is going to go, exactly where the opponent's are going to react, press/ move to. It's become robotic.

Some players are just going through the motions. They know if they play a pass during a certain pattern, then it's ok. You've only got to watch them...they don't even look as to whether a forward pass can be made. 

It's become like chess. Where games and patterns are predictable.

Nations that are unpredictable are making a difference.

England imo, have players that could win this tournament, if they were allowed to play with freedom. 

I fear a chance could be missed if we play predictably and conforming.

If you've got players that can run at the opposition, create confusion outside of the norm, then it could work this tournament.

Let them free Gareth. Unlock the shackles. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

France's selection doesn't seem correct to Australia and Denmark in a three game competition

Not sure what to make of this one. See where you're coming from but the argument for France is why should they burn out their better players for the benefit of others? They've done their job which is why they're in the privileged position of being able to do it.

If England went out because England's strongest team lost against the strongest team of team X, but team X rested their best players and lost against team Y I wouldn't begrudge team X rather I'd be gutted England weren't good enough. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Not sure what to make of this one. See where you're coming from but the argument for France is why should they burn out their better players for the benefit of others? They've done their job which is why they're in the privileged position of being able to do it.

If England went out because England's strongest team lost against the strongest team of team X, but team X rested their best players and lost against team Y I wouldn't begrudge team X rather I'd be gutted England weren't good enough. 

Agree, you earn the right to do what you like imho.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I missed a few games over the weekend, but was that the first goal from a direct free kick this tournament?

It was. The last 2 direct free kick goals in the World Cup have both been scored by England. Last night and Trippier in the semi v Croatia in 2018. 

• Like 1

Right can anyone explain the offside rule one more time?

A little while ago it was explained that, even though offside when the original pass was made, a striker could be onside if a defender deliberately plays the ball. Griezmann is clearly offside to start, but the defender heads the ball and AG scores. I think it was only last season a CB header played someone on in exactly that sort of way, have I missed something ..... again ?

What I will say is, the BBC site is avoiding saying "Offside". I could see a case for a foul on the CB, and as the Ref was called to the monitor to look, normally that's what I'd think. But there was an offside call yesterday where the Ref went to the monitor to look.

What with this and the recent Spurs goal where I learnt that the ball direction didn't matter, I think I might as well give up.

49 minutes ago, spudski said:

The one thing that's stood out for me, is how European football has become so predictable and pedestrian.

You can watch European teams, how they are set up, and can predict exactly where the ball is going to go, exactly where the opponent's are going to react, press/ move to. It's become robotic.

Some players are just going through the motions. They know if they play a pass during a certain pattern, then it's ok. You've only got to watch them...they don't even look as to whether a forward pass can be made. 

It's become like chess. Where games and patterns are predictable.

Nations that are unpredictable are making a difference.

England imo, have players that could win this tournament, if they were allowed to play with freedom. 

I fear a chance could be missed if we play predictably and conforming.

If you've got players that can run at the opposition, create confusion outside of the norm, then it could work this tournament.

Let them free Gareth. Unlock the shackles. 

Not just European foorball tbh, I think some of that rigidity has seeped down into South America too and even Mexico looked just dull compared to Mexico sides of the past who you knew would generally be quite entertaining even if quality varied. Costa Rica are also duller and more mechanical than past Costa Rica sides IMO.

I agree wirh your general point though.

• Thanks 1