IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Nauseating isn't it. All I can think of when Souness opens his mouth is 'I saw your last game in charge of Liverpool, so shut it'

I wonder if he was that angry about Lampard's disallowed goal in 2010 against Germany? Because I really doubt it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Watching that last night made me even more depressed they’re showing the England game.

Weirdest bit was bloody Aluko trying to explain how her real time view from the studio should be more definitive than the VAR analysis.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

in analytical geometry if "r" is radiuus (x y z) is the locus of all points. So the equation of a sphere is (x-x)  (y-y) + (z+z) - r2.     Or to quote John Mcinroe   " The ball was out!!"

surprised they didn't get him on This Morning…"it was on the line!!!"

12 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

81B64929-7B6E-4738-95D9-6900F05C399D.png

This is not a truly overhead photograph, as if it were then the  crossbar would be directly over the goal line, rather sitting a little to the right. 

For it to be properly overhead, then the viewpoint would need to shift slightly to the right . The resulting change of perspective would make the ball look much more in than do any of the pictures that have been shown - all of which appear to have been taken from the left ( as we see in this picture), so all of them suffer the same perspective issue, and explains why the immediate response of pundits was disbelief.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

in analytical geometry if "r" is radiuus (x y z) is the locus of all points. So the equation of a sphere is (x-x)  (y-y) + (z+z) - r2.     Or to quote John Mcinroe   " The ball was out!!"

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I bought that “single”! ???

Id have thought you'd have produced graph to demonstrate this this by now Dave! :D

Have a feeling there might be more upsets in RO16. I can see USA being tough for Netherlands who haven't particularly impressed and in the last Euros they lost to Czech Republic in RO16 when they were the favourites. Japan vs Croatia will be a very evenly matched game and I can see Morocco giving Spain serious issues. Spain's issue is they have one way of playing and cannot adjust as the players suit a fluid passing system, this makes it easier for opponents to counteract the way they play. They should have won their Group.

So, does VAR assume that all the lines are perfectly straight and uniform? I've see a few wobbly lines in the old days so are they painted by machine with laser guidance or something?

If done by hand and the groundsman had sneezed at the wrong moment it could make all the difference.

I think I saw a program during Wimbledon one year where they showed them testing the Hawkeye system but that is on a much smaller scale than a football pitch. These are very precise margins looking at the photos from last night.