IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I dunno tbh Shelts.  I hope not.  We have 2 CBs in form defensively…the concerns in recent years necessitating another CB (wrongly imho) aren’t there, and to break up the way we are setting up, would seem ceding an advantage in midfield to France.  They’ll be shit scared of Bellingham burst through as part of a three, with three options ahead of him.  Think he has to trust Walker in a conventional four against Mbappe, as I think it means we can stop Griezmann floating into dangerous positions.

I think you have to trust to luck (a little that Mbappe has an off day). I don't see how playing 3 at the back helps if only Walker has a chance of keeping up. Also as vs. Croatia at the last WC the 352 will become 532 so we will have little attacking outlet. Stopping Griezmann getting too much of the ball will slow the French down as he makes them tick.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Why can’t we play 532 or 5311

As @Davefevsposted you either stay with our threat and play a bit of Russian Roulette 

or go with 3/5 at back and , in theory , suffocate their threats

Big call

My concern is how the back four real with Mbappe / Giroud / Dembele

I see Dembele as nearly as much , creative wise at least , a threat as Mbappe

Are we happy to leave Shaw & Walker 1 on 1 with them - Brave 

As I said,  Big call 

I suppose France have the same issues worrying about Englands front 3.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Super said:

Maybe but family comes first and it sounds terrifying what they went through.

Of course. What I was trying to say but didn't make clear, was I assume that England don't have a policy that says once you have left the squad and travelled back to the UK you can't rejoin in case you bring illness with you that could spread and scupper the campaign.

Not saying whether he should either way, but his family might say 'get back there, it is a lifetime opportunity' and the medics might say 'hang on, we agreed not to allow this, it is a one way journey'.

Or maybe they don't bother with these things now. Sorry for the ramble!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 2015 said:

If we beat France it will be 'but they didn't have Benzema, Kante or Pogba'. The rest of the World really cannot admit we are actually a decent side.

People need to think this isn't the England of 2016 anymore. I must admit I've been overly critical of Southgate for the past year because admittedly performances were really bad and so were the results, but I have had to endure a massive amount of humble pie this World Cup and i'm glad I've been proved wrong.

@lenred beat me to it - but I don't think its the rest of the world, its us! Including on here!! I don't think I've seen any evidence of other countries underestimating England under Southgate. 

• Like 1

Having a nice slice of Henderson Humble Pie this morning.

Hats off to the bloke, Energetic, controlled performance capped off with an excellent goal - led by example. Superb.

McGuire also showing some bottle given what he’s been through, although relying on him and Stones as our main play-makers out of defence is more than a worry. Think Rice was told at half-time to give them better options - but that only lasted a few minutes. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Hats off to the bloke, Energetic, controlled performance capped off with an excellent goal - led by example. Superb.

McGuire also showing some bottle given what he’s been through, although relying on him and Stones as our main play-makers out of defence is more than a worry. Think Rice was told at half-time to give them better options - but that only lasted a few minutes. 

Me too. I haven't been a fan of Henderson and wasn't happy to see him start. I think that must be one of his best ever England games though, he was excellent.

Maguire has shown real mental strength and played very well. I still worry for him though if he drops a ricket against France that costs us a goal. Poor bloke will get monstered by all forms of media.

17 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I can't understand the antipathy towards Henderson and especially from fans who see his inclusion as somehow negative and defensive.

He has been an integral and crucial part of a Liverpool team that has been one of the most potent and exciting for the last few years. Presumably both Klopp and Southgate overestimate his abilities and that, had they replaced him, their respective teams would be better/stronger.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

No because the only teams in the last 16 that have played anyone are Spain (drew with Germany), Japan, Croatia (drew with Belgium), Morocco and arguably Portugal, South Korea versus Uruguay.

The only likely QF team to have beaten anyone will be Portugal 

image.thumb.png.9e11c2a06658d31e0d4b327f4eec144b.png

30 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I can't understand the antipathy towards Henderson and especially from fans who see his inclusion as somehow negative and defensive.

He has been an integral and crucial part of a Liverpool team that has been one of the most potent and exciting for the last few years. Presumably both Klopp and Southgate overestimate his abilities and that, had they replaced him, their respective teams would be better/stronger.

Because most / a lot of fans only watch what happens on the creative side of the game.  They don’t watch players off the ball, the runs they make to drag opponents elsewhere, creating space for teammates, the marking they do to stop passes, the freedom they give others, etc.

For a couple of years, England couldn’t win the ball back unless Henderson was playing.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Henderson probably the most underrated player of the last 10 years. Superb player. At least Southgate rates him or else it could have been another Carrick situation, a player who got far too few caps for his talent 

I never really rated Carrick.  Decent player, absolutely, but I didn’t see him at the levels of others.  I rarely saw him drag United’s performance up in a big game.

Do we get to fly subs out to Qatar?

Ben White went home earlier, Sterling yesterday.

I know Sterling has said he intends to return to Qatar once his situation is sorted, but England are now running a squad of just 21 outfield players.

I've no problem with players leaving for good reason, but can we summon reserves?

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Do we get to fly subs out to Qatar?

Ben White went home earlier, Sterling yesterday.

I know Sterling has said he intends to return to Qatar once his situation is sorted, but England are now running a squad of just 21 outfield players.

I've no problem with players leaving for good reason, but can we summon reserves?

No we can’t. I think 21 should be enough!

• Thanks 1

As regards Henderson .

I think just as much as needing a steady on the pitch (let’s be fair we have more flair players than ever in the team ) one of the commentators during the Welsh game said all they could hear was Henderson constantly telling people what to do where to go and geeing them up ( a real leader ) could do with him at the gate I reckon 

44 minutes ago, Super said:

Just out of interest if you could win one game on saturday would it be City at Rotherham or England beating France?!

Oooooh, tough one - especially with the potential different consequences of each! @cidercity1987 says it's only 3 point out of 138, but what if it's the three points that's the difference between relegation and staying up at the end of the season? And we beat France only to lose in semis?

What would you go for if the options were:

City 3 points - and you know that it's the three points that's the difference between staying up and going down this season

Win v France - and you know that England would go on to win the WC

??

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Oooooh, tough one - especially with the potential different consequences of each! @cidercity1987 says it's only 3 point out of 138, but what if it's the three points that's the difference between relegation and staying up at the end of the season? And we beat France only to lose in semis?

City 3 points - and you know that it's the three points that's the difference between staying up and going down this season

??

I would have to go with City 3 points in that scenario.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, italian dave said:

??

City relegation for England to win World Cup?

Absolutely yes, we are bound to come back up at some point but the winning the World Cup is a once in a lifetime euphoria

• Like 1