IGNORED

Millwall away match thread

26 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

See @Davefevs I’m very happy with the second half. We did everything we did in the first half BUT we passed it better and created some very good chances.  Different expectations I guess but there you go. Opinions and expectations.  

But you earn the right to play like that second half because of how you battle first half.  Instruction will’ve been pre-match:

- they’re gonna swarm you, just turn them around when you can’t play

- don’t do anything stupid, go long rather than risk a ball into midfield where their 2+3 outnumber our 2+1

- WBs can go high for diag outball

Don’t give them a head start, we didn’t, we grew into the first half, had a good 10 min spell, that gave us the confidence to be a bit less cautious second half.

It really is a standard approach to being the away team, especially one in our position.  If we were top 6 and flying I might think very differently.

I enjoyed both halves for different reasons.

Gary Rowett won’t be calling us a soft team tonight.

Pring and Tanner’s physicality a help tonight.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2
42 minutes ago, Spike said:

A lot of names thrown about today but Pring has been brilliant I think, great under pressure, good putting players under pressure, passing has been solid too and he's given as good as he's got.

Totally agree, good at both ends of the pitch. It was a shame we didn’t use him more, very tidy on the ball.

28 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Hopefully @Davefevs won't mind me speaking on his behalf - but I think the point was that the first half was all about getting a foothold in the game, feeling our way in, building confidence. That second half performance doesn't happen without the fight put in during the first half. In the form we've been in, you don't just turn up and play like all is rosy. I think *that* was the point.

No issue…a journo more eloquent than a spreadsheet-monkey also ?

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Maybe you should try watching the game without your Pearson out glasses on? 

Any game against Millwall is going to be terrible.

So far today, we have put in a better performance against Millwall than we did in the home game against Millwall. 

I won't make it up to please you and when we play well I will give praise.

First half was dire but second was good.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But you earn the right to play like that second half because of how you battle first half.  Instruction will’ve been pre-match:

- don’t do anything stupid, go long rather than risk a ball into midfield where their 2+3 outnumber our 2+1

Don’t give them a head start, we didn’t, we grew into the first half, had a good 10 min spell, that gave us the confidence to be a bit less cautious second half.

It really is a standard approach to being the away team, especially one in our position.  If we were top 6 and flying I might think very differently.

I think this is quite generous to us first half. There’s dealing with their physical element and not making needless dangerous passes, and there’s hoofing it under no pressure which we did repeatedly.

I’d put it more down to nerves than team instructions, because we looked uncomfortable when we had possession and needed to calm things down, take our time, look up. When we did that after HT we were comfortably the better side.

35 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Well played Nige and the team.  A good point

Agreed.

But how long have supporters been asking for Weimann to be in a posiition to affect the game and for Tanner to be on th right with Atkinson in for King ?

Should have happened ages ago and it is still a worry that it didn't.

NP did tonight what a hell of a lot of supporters could see and he couldn't - and it was much better.

I hope he has learned a lesson tonight - stop pissing around.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

I thought we were more than worthy of a draw so credit to the boys.

For me, that was the best starting 11 we can field. There is an argument for Wells instead of Semenyo and Kalas instead of Vyner, but he picked the best side available and with a bit of luck we could have won it.

A completely different type of game against Cov coming up but hopefully we can produce another solid performance

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Agreed.

But how long have supporters been asking for Weimann to be in a posiition to affect the game and for Tanner to be on th right with Atkinson in for King ?

NP did tonight what a hell of a lot of supporters could see and he couldn't - and it was much better.

Totally agree with that.

2 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Pearson praising Atkinson on RB. That’ll disappoint the “naughty step” groupies. 

I think secretly, the good performance (admittedly I only saw the 2nd half,  thanks to Virgin) and the the point, will too.

In Nige we trust.

COYR!

Edited by AppyDAZE
11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

All of that is true but you can do that AND be decent on the ball. Not outstanding, just decent. I’ve said it a few times now. 

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

No.

It went over the bar.

Its quite simple.

The shot was on target.  Shots pushed wide are on target as well 

8 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

No.

It went over the bar.

Its quite simple.

It isn't that simple actually, and this is the rules from the FA site, a shot is considered on target if it:

"Is a clear attempt to score that would have gone into the net but for being saved by the goalkeeper or is stopped by a player who is the last-man with the goalkeeper having no chance of preventing the goal (last line block)."

As far as this rule states, it was a shot on target.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
Just now, Ron W said:

I think this is quite generous to us first half. There’s dealing with their physical element and not making needless dangerous passes, and there’s hoofing it under no pressure which we did repeatedly.

I’d put it more down to nerves than team instructions, because we looked uncomfortable when we had possession and needed to calm things down, take our time, look up. When we did that after HT we were comfortably the better side.

Yes, but Millwall pressing triggers when you play into midfield are very good.  You have to go long, make their midfielders get fed up of going tight to our midfielders and then see the ball go over their head and they have to turn around and trudge back.  Over time they get fed up of going tight, because they know where the ball is going.  No opposition midfielder wants to see Scott or Weimann running past them because they know we are going direct, so over time they themselves start marking space, not our midfielders.   start As you gradually see them not press so tight, you start to play through the midfield.  At somewhere like Millwall it really is as simple as that.  Good tactical set up, that adjusted as the game went on, depending on where we had territory.

We aren’t perfect, we don’t always get it right, Weimann’s instinct is to run forward as soon as we get possession.  That rules out one midfield short passing option.  But boy does his marker get fed up of chasing him.  We do try to play into the forwards a bit to quick for him to link up.  But you saw that when we do that 30 yards further up the pitch it makes a big difference.

We we’re patient and disciplined in our approach tonight, and we were the stronger side second period.

Thats why I was delighted first and second half.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2
9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Agreed.

There’s nothing he can, or needs to, learn from any of us ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree….was petrified pre-game.  I really don’t recall anything that had me shouting at the tv.

He should have booked the lad that went through Semenyo. Can't complain about the Penalty shout as every angle they showed missed AS's run until he was 'span'/'spun'
Hate to say it as I've still not forgiven him for Hull, but he wasn't complete shite.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

All of that is true but you can do that AND be decent on the ball. Not outstanding, just decent. I’ve said it a few times now. 

And if we’d played into midfield with risk from deep positions early in the game, you’d be moaning if we got caught.  We weren’t playing with confidence to start like that.  We didn’t really make a mistake in that respect tonight that I can recall.

See my reply to RonW also.

• Like 1

I appreciate what you’re saying @Davefevs and there were times Millwall pressured our back line and we took the safe option. No issue with that.

But there were also plenty of occasions - and Vyner was especially guilty of this before HT - where there’d be a ball across the box, no one near us, and we’d still treat the ball like a hot potato with a poor hurried clearance. There have been plenty of City sides struggling for confidence with the ball down the years and that had plenty of the hallmarks of one for 45 minutes.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, StGeorge said:

Thats why they won then ???

Ha! No, but that’s why they are higher than us in the league and were last year. Tonight we were organised, we concentrated and stepped up to compete. If we can show that from now on, our confidence will get better, we will pull out of this mess and push up the table. If, though. At least a point at Coventry is going to be something to build on before the Brum game.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

It isn't that simple actually, and this is the rules from the FA site, a shot is considered on target if it:

"Is a clear attempt to score that would have gone into the net but for being saved by the goalkeeper or is stopped by a player who is the last-man with the goalkeeper having no chance of preventing the goal (last line block)."

As far as this rule states, it was a shot on target.

I think max would, certainly could, have saved it so going by the above definition it wouldn't have been a shot on target even if to my thinking it should be a shot on target.

Edited by kit
Spelling
10 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

On target shots for betting purposes are only on target if saved by the keeper or a goal. The shot that Atkinson blocked is just that, a blocked shot and not recorded as a shot on target - unless he is considered the last man

• Like 1