IGNORED

Millwall away match thread

7 minutes ago, Ron W said:

I appreciate what you’re saying @Davefevs and there were times Millwall pressured our back line and we took the safe option. No issue with that.

But there were also plenty of occasions - and Vyner was especially guilty of this before HT - where there’d be a ball across the box, no one near us, and we’d still treat the ball like a hot potato with a poor hurried clearance. There have been plenty of City sides struggling for confidence with the ball down the years and that had plenty of the hallmarks of one for 45 minutes.

I suppose when confidence is lacking and the pressure is on, despite some home performances which outstripped results, you have to start somewhere. Tough away game, vs a side in and around the top 6- showed more technical ability and composure in possession in 2nd half but clearly we had gained in confidence from our 1st half display- earning the right to play a bit is sometimes required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I suppose when confidence is lacking and the pressure is on, despite some home performances which outstripped results, you have to start somewhere. Tough away game, vs a side in and around the top 6- showed more technical ability and composure in possession in 2nd half but clearly we had gained in confidence from our 1st half display- earning the right to play a bit is sometimes required.

Yeah agree with all of that. All the first half lacked was composure… In fact all the second half lacked was composure too, just at the other end.

Hard-earned and we’ll deserved point, with the only frustration it really should’ve been three.

Edited by Ron W
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, Offside said:

I‘ve only seen the highlights, but I’m happy with a point and clean sheet, even though it looks like we could have got the win had Weimann’s chance gone in (good to see him in a scoring position, though). I’m taking anything we can get at the moment. 

The thing is though Offside, it wasn't an isolated incident was it? Game after game, week in week out, we're seeing chances being blocked, saved, hitting the woodwork and even missing the target completely. Yet some people just don't want to see what the common factor is. 

You can't blame the players every time. 

With the right leadership, team selection, tactics and coaching, a lot more of those chances could have gone in and we wouldn't be in the position we are. 

Or something like that.....?

Defensively solid, but terrible with the ball. So many aimless balls up towards Conway & Semenyo who were being marked by two 6'4" centre backs.

There is very little footballing knowledge displayed by the players - not bringing the ball down when in space, not clearing the ball (when suitable) in the general area of one of the front men, lack of movement to open space in the midfield.

• Like 1

I don’t really get the optimism from tonight. We won’t be staying up with performances like that. Even our chances were off Millwall mistakes not great play. Defensively was fine but wingbacks didn’t really get forward and the 2 cm sit deep. Should be solid. Whatever Millwall have done in their past games does not really interest me. They are nothing special and if you put the sides up side by side there would be little difference in quality. Yet they are 8th and we are 18th

10 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don’t really get the optimism from tonight. We won’t be staying up with performances like that. Even our chances were off Millwall mistakes not great play. Defensively was fine but wingbacks didn’t really get forward and the 2 cm sit deep. Should be solid. Whatever Millwall have done in their past games does not really interest me. They are nothing special and if you put the sides up side by side there would be little difference in quality. Yet they are 8th and we are 18th

Millwall would’ve gone fourth if they won. We largely nullified them, played the better football and had the better chances. If Weimann’s chance had gone in it would’ve been a perfect away performance.

I know watching us at AG recently anyone think every away side outplays the home side but we were a decent part of the reason they got booed off tonight. We did a proper job on a team who’ve done very well this season.

Edited by Ron W
  • Like 13
5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Did you watch the game? We were comfortably the better side and pleasing to see a good reaction after the West Brom game. The only disappointing thing for me was we didnt come away with the 3pts we deserved 

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, Ron W said:

Millwall would’ve gone fourth if they won. We largely nullified them, played the better football and had the better chances. If Weimann’s chance had gone in it would’ve been a perfect away performance.

I know watching us at AG recently anyone think every away side outplays the home side but we were a decent part of the reason they got booed off tonight. We did a proper job on a team who’s done very well this season.

I just don’t see it that way. They aren’t free scoring(29 goals in 24 games). Yes we nullified them but they aren’t prolific. We just didn’t give away too many corners or set pieces around our penalty area. We didn’t capitalise on their mistakes and didn’t look like breaking them down otherwise. Now breaking them down I am fine with giving credit to Millwall for but they were generally unbothered by us. 

10 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

We will definitely be staying up with performances like that.

2 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Did you watch the game? We were comfortably the better side and pleasing to see a good reaction after the West Brom game. The only disappointing thing for me was we didnt come away with the 3pts we deserved 

Disagree. In the 1200 or so there. No one I was with thought it was good. Semenyo chance their mistake. Weimann miss a bad clearance. Their chance took a special block to keep them out. 0-0 was fair but it was not inspiring one bit. 

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I just don’t see it that way. They aren’t free scoring(29 goals in 24 games). Yes we nullified them but they aren’t prolific. We just didn’t give away too many corners or set pieces around our penalty area. We didn’t capitalise on their mistakes and didn’t look like breaking them down otherwise. Now breaking them down I am fine with giving credit to Millwall for but they were generally unbothered by us. 

They know how to grind out wins and make the most of set pieces and momentum, but how many times did they even get a chance to do that tonight? We switched off from one throw and that was it.

We’re 18th and lost our last two games, we weren’t going to become world beaters over night. There’s not many worse places to come when you’re out of form and being questioned than a physical bullying at The Den but we stood up to everything thrown at us.

On the balance of it I don’t know how there’s not clear positives in the context of where we are at the moment. Or even if we weren’t. Are there more than a few teams in this league who wouldn’t be satisfied with a point at Millwall?

Edited by Ron W
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Ron W said:

They know how to grind out wins and make the most of set pieces and momentum, but how many times did they even get a chance to do that tonight? We switched off from one throw and that was it.

We’re 18th and lost our last two games, we weren’t going to become world beaters over night. There’s not many worse places to come when you’re out of form and being questioned than a physical bullying at The Den but we stood up to everything thrown at us.

On the balance of it I don’t know how there’s not clear positives in the context of where we are at the moment. Or even if we weren’t. Are there more than a few teams in this league who wouldn’t be satisfied with a point at Millwall?

No don’t get me wrong. I can explain things too far in one way. The point is fine and anyone would be happy with it. I just did not see a special side with Millwall. We were smart and didn’t concede many things that would cause us problems. Well done for that and I mean it. If the plan was to come to Millwall and grind out a 0-0 we played great. 

My issue is we can’t be solid defensively without looking dismal going forward. We also can’t look good going forward without looking dismal at the back. This pattern is an ever present under NP. What we saw tonight we have seen before. It may lead to a run where we pick up some points but it’ll go south again. I just can’t come on here and say 0-0 at Millwall we are progressing when I don’t think we are.

Imo, we saw self preservation from NP tonight. Agent come out saying how well he has done. Get a point away at a bordering playoff side who actually is not that good. Then come out and say how thankful you are to the fans that travelled after what he said last time out. It is all a facade to me. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Disagree. In the 1200 or so there. No one I was with thought it was good.

It was good as in a good battling performance , they stood up to a very effective in form team

Semenyo chance their mistake. Weimann miss a bad clearance.

Those chances still count, otherwise we wouldn't be where we are due to all the mistakes our defence has made.
TBF Weimann's easiest chance came from Semenyo's flick.

Their chance took a special block to keep them out.

It was an important block , but he didn't have to move too far.

0-0 was fair but it was not inspiring one bit. 

All about opinions , I think we shaded it. On another day Semenyo gets the ball past the keeper, Wiemann take one of his chances where they created very little. 

I think they took none of the chances in defence that have cost us goals this season. We did play a bit at times & tried to bring the ball out, but when pressed and closed we hit space , or tried to.  We did it at Rotherham, it worked.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

No don’t get me wrong. I can explain things too far in one way. The point is fine and anyone would be happy with it. I just did not see a special side with Millwall. We were smart and didn’t concede many things that would cause us problems. Well done for that and I mean it. If the plan was to come to Millwall and grind out a 0-0 we played great. 

My issue is we can’t be solid defensively without looking dismal going forward. We also can’t look good going forward without looking dismal at the back. This pattern is an ever present under NP. What we saw tonight we have seen before. It may lead to a run where we pick up some points but it’ll go south again. I just can’t come on here and say 0-0 at Millwall we are progressing when I don’t think we are.

Imo, we saw self preservation from NP tonight. Agent come out saying how well he has done. Get a point away at a bordering playoff side who actually is not that good. Then come out and say how thankful you are to the fans that travelled after what he said last time out. It is all a facade to me. 

Yeah that's fair enough, dismal going forward is a bit harsh though. Millwall haven't scored many but they've conceded even less. Only two more than Burnley.

I agree though, Millwall didn't look on their top form and some of their fans have mentioned them being poor. But we played a part in that, tonight was about getting back to basics (in the team selection too). If we only do that all season we'll not do much, but we needed some solidity to build from and we got it.

Edited by Ron W
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting review from one of theirs.

A poor performance that we did well to come away with a point.

We started OK with a variation on the long ball from the keeper. Instead it went short to Murray who hit it long but it came to nothing. They were out of the blocks early and some early possession in their left wing corner which came to nothing. I kept thinking that it wouldn’t take us long to get into our stride but they had other ideas. They pressed us very hard all over the pitch and we had neither time or space to make any impact. Meanwhile they were strolling around like Barcelona and the harder we tried to get a foothold in the game the harder they stopped our threat. If they got into a spot of bother the ref came to their rescue for a powder puff challenge and a free kick. The only good fortune we had is that despite a lot of possession there was not a lot of threat. Their 11 was running around like a man possessed and Hutch had trouble containing him. It took 20 minutes for us to have a decent effort and that came from Murray who strode forward to the edge of their box and hit it over with his right foot. They continued to press and late in the half we did get a free kick thirty yards out which Flem hit firmly over the bar. We were all willing the ref to blow for half time so GR could put us on the straight and narrow in the second half.

When we ran out for the second forty five I thought we would put on a better display. To be Frank it couldn’t have been much worse! After ten GR realised that most of us had sussed for the last 55. Burey was having a mare and was duly replaced by Styles. He added a whole new dimension in our play and the crowd got very vocal and supportive. They still had other ideas and we all shuddered when Nakhi Wells came off the bench. They had a decent move and low cross from the right which Long gathered well. They still looked a threat whereas we did not apart from a decent strike from Vogi which deflected off the bar from a defender’s knee. Another regulation stop from Long made us exhale but we could get little going upfront. With 12 to go Benik, Shack and Honeyman replaced Sav, Bradshaw and Vogi. We pressed harder but so did they and it took some fortune for Long to save from Semedo after a mix up between Hutch and Cooper. At the death Murray hit a shot just over the bar from a corner and the game ended goalless.

Long kept us in it a couple of times so hats off to him. Danny was solid but lacked composure going forward. Hutch and Cooper both had decent games but did not have a moments peace from their attacking players. Murray needs to practice shooting with his right foot but he was our best attacker. Billy had a busy game and a couple of blips. Sav was solid but did not pose much of a threat. Vogi had some moments and so did Flem but Burey was an utter waste of space. One decent run past the full back was the sum total of his threat. Bradshaw was busy but little threat. Styles had his moments and had more touches in ten minutes than Burey had in 55. Benik, Honeyman and Shack had busy cameos but little threat.
A point from a game where we could have got none was a bonus but it was frustrating and uninspiring and we are now eighth. At least Charlton lost!!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, grifty said:

Defensively solid, but terrible with the ball. So many aimless balls up towards Conway & Semenyo who were being marked by two 6'4" centre backs.

There is very little footballing knowledge displayed by the players - not bringing the ball down when in space, not clearing the ball (when suitable) in the general area of one of the front men, lack of movement to open space in the midfield.

And even with all that, we still should have won. 

35 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

I dropped out around 60 mins or so because a mate turned up.find it hard to disagree with ths assessment Joe, and I'm wondering if people were watching the same game. 

It was better, but so so turgid and depressing to watch, despite of us being better. As you rightly mention the same old still exists and Max's Save towards end of 1st half iirc and Millwall not turning up are not the saving graces to show any corner has been turned.

We're 3 wins in 17 in the league ,  goals are drying up, scoring something like 8 in the last 10 in the league and 1in 3 games since Rotherham. Tommy's goals have dried up scoring only 2 in 17 according to Soccerbase.https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=134873

A better defensive performance with players in the right position is welcome as is the point and a clean sheet, however it doesn't mask our very clear and continuing problems.

The form table is tight with six points covering 8th to 24th https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=2

It's not the up turn that people seem to think it is. That agent stuff is just weird too.

Goals for might have reduced (because shots and shots on target have reduced) but so have goals conceded. We don't need to fret about the defence at this stage.

Using the arbitrary yet popular ten game block measurement system goals for have gone down to 8 in the past ten versus 15 in the preceding 10. We've failed to score in 4 of the last 10 versus 2 in the preceding. xG for has dropped a little, from 1.2 to 1.1. That's really just an indication of how our clinical strikers were managing to outperform our creative ability early on in the season.

At our own end we've conceded 10 in 10, against 15 in the preceding 10 matches. We've kept 2 clean sheets, just as we did in the preceding 10 games. xG against has dropped from 1.6 to 1.2. which indicates a big improvement in our ability to stop the shot.

So I'm honestly not particularly worried about the defence. What we need is a return to the finishing we saw early in the season. 

Last night's a great example of that. We missed a couple of very good chances that would they go in would see us leave the Den with 3 points rather than 1. Earlier in the season those go in, and we win.

That finishing will come back. We're still just about creating enough.