IGNORED

Fifth Round Draw: Home to Man City

BUTOR

I was one of the unfortunate souls who watched the horror show against Lincoln, so I’m hesitant to say Stevenage or Fleetwood… We’d probably find a way to slip up.

What might work well would be home to somebody like Southampton or Leicester, struggling top flight sides, low on confidence that would not relish a trip to Ashton Gate. I hope we don’t draw a big team. It’s about time we finally made a quarter final in my lifetime.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Spurs away was our last ever match in the top flight, May 1980 0-0.

I don’t think anyone at the time would have thought 43 years later and we haven’t played them since. Remarkable.

In fact, without doing much checking, I’d say out of all the teams that have been around in that time, Spurs are the team we’ve played least in the last 50 years.

Just the 6 league games v Spurs as they were relegated for one of the seasons we were in the top flight. We did play them in the 2 leg league cup semi final but that was over 50 years ago now.

Neighbours Arsenal are just behind on 8 league games, all in the top flight. We of course did the double over both in our first season in division one.

Long overdue a meeting with both, maybe save it for the semis at Wembley…..or the final.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

In fact, without doing much checking, I’d say out of all the teams that have been around in that time, Spurs are the team we’ve played least in the last 50 years.

Just the 6 league games v Spurs as they were relegated for one of the seasons we were in the top flight. We did play them in the 2 leg league cup semi final but that was over 50 years ago now.

Neighbours Arsenal are just behind on 8 league games, all in the top flight. We of course did the double over both in our first season in division one.

Long overdue a meeting with both, maybe save it for the semis at Wembley…..or the final.

Maybe we’re saving our next penalty for one of them! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I went to uni in 1985 and lived with a big Spurs fan. We still find it incredible that despite knowing each other for nearly 40 years, we still haven’t played each other. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Our last 5th round appearance was actually against Sheffield United two seasons ago. It might be forgotten by many since nobody attended. It was the behind closed doors Covid season. We’d beaten Portsmouth then Millwall to get to the 5th round but we lost 1-0 at Bramall Lane.

Oh yes I remember. First and only game we’ve played with VAR? 

Also remember Williams having a blinder

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Spurs broke my heart in 71

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

Man City at home. Payback time 

Man City or Spurs would be great at home. You would expect Liverpool to go through against Brighton and West Ham against Derby and either of these would still sell out ashton gate. I see we still have Stevenage and Stoke and if we get the winner of this one we have a better chance of going further. What ever happens a good run in the cup is great but the league is more important.

58 minutes ago, City oz said:

Man City or Spurs would be great at home. You would expect Liverpool to go through against Brighton and West Ham against Derby and either of these would still sell out ashton gate. I see we still have Stevenage and Stoke and if we get the winner of this one we have a better chance of going further. What ever happens a good run in the cup is great but the league is more important.

I would make Brighton favourites against Liverpool. They smashed them 3-0 in the league two weeks ago and are above them in the table. They could even be dark horses to win the cup, given their record against the top sides.

I definitely fancy Stevenage to win at Stoke as well.

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It’s worth the effort. Been a few times - it’s superb.

Any sort of effort involved in watching Bristol City is anathema to proper laid-back, can't-be-arsed Bristolian West Country Bristol City fans - it’s why none of us ever go to away games further east than Fulham or north of Birmingham (or west of Swansea). Too much effort. Can't be arsed.

All those Plymouth and Rovers fans following their teams in their thousands around the country whatever the distance or weather are a disgrace, and clearly not proper West Country.

• Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Any sort of effort involved in watching Bristol City is anathema to proper laid-back, can't-be-arsed Bristolian West Country Bristol City fans - it’s why none of us ever go to away games further east than Fulham or north of Birmingham (or west of Swansea). Too much effort. Can't be arsed.

All those Plymouth and Rovers fans following their teams in their thousands around the country whatever the distance or weather are a disgrace, and clearly not proper West Country.

I did go to watch us at Mansfield once, does that make me proper?