IGNORED

Alex Scott - Treasure his outstanding talent

Curr Avon

16 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

At the moment I'd go Cole over Abraham (even if I didn't agree with @Fordy62 about not counting a loan) as he played a key role in a team that won a hell of a lot of trophies. Still time for Abraham to win more but he'd need more honours to usurp Cole. 

11 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Got to be Cole. Won the treble with United!

Didn’t Pring miss out against WBA in the cup last week due to suspension? Might be wrong.

Ha so all Scott has to do is win a treble. Easy.

37 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

He needs to pick up a yellow next game to guarantee being available for Man City!

Nope.  Yellows don’t transgress across competitions.  The only way he can miss the Man City game is if he gets sent off, and then the suspension is competition-agnostic.

If he got red carded for foul play next week v Norwich, his 3 game ban would be over by Man City.  But if he got the same red v Sunderland, the 3rd game of his red card ban would be the Man City game.  Hope that makes sense.

29 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I thought yellow cards only applied to individual competitions?  So if Alex was booked in league matches it does not carry over to the F A Cup..........unless the rules have changed?

Correct.

image.png.2ba90e7374191b1f529c43e574083f8c.png

12 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Had 2 bookings against Swansea, but unsure if due to that alone or totting up

purely because of 2 yellows. In the FA Cup.  Pring has 5 League yellows, but as we are past 19 league games, he’s now got to get 10 yellows by game 37 to get suspended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think, in all seriousness, with Alex now we’re into a very limited number of premier league clubs being in the equation. Outside of the “big” clubs the only one I’d entertain if I was his advisor would be Brighton because of how they have developed players. I also think, as he’s said before, he wants to play football - and IMO he’s ready.

Chelsea are a basket case so rule them out. Liverpool are in the market for midfielders and I could see that. Arsenal he’d fit the style but as a Spurs fan - would he go? Newcastle to me have too many similar players, and although I’d think he’d thrive under Pep, is he needed at Man City? Man Utd a possibility but they have Fernandes. Abroad wise Dortmund are the obvious but I genuinely think they’d be priced out.

My overall view is that I think Liverpool are the most likely candidate, but I’d rather he stayed!

In relatively recent history we have seen a number (or should that be most?) of the current England midfielders playing in the championship against City while young/developing.

Kalvin Phillips(Leeds), Mason Mount(Derby), Jack Grealish(Villa), James Madison(Norwich), Jude Bellingham (Brum)

Alex Scott appears to be right up there with all of those performance level wise, probably at a younger age than all of them except Bellingham.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, grifty said:

Preston fans raving about him on their forum.

"Sorry if it’s already been mentioned, but that Alex Scott is an unbelievable footballer. 

He’s 19 and is literally dictating games. Wow. 

Can understand why Brizzle want £25 million for him. Superb."

The reply to that is good too, 

Yup. We spent nearly £2m on Ledson and McCann. And when compared to Scott they look non league.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cityal said:

In relatively recent history we have seen a number (or should that be most?) of the current England midfielders playing in the championship against City while young/developing.

Kalvin Phillips(Leeds), Mason Mount(Derby), Jack Grealish(Villa), James Madison(Norwich), Jude Bellingham (Brum)

Alex Scott appears to be right up there with all of those performance level wise, probably at a younger age than all of them except Bellingham.

I'm struggling to decide if he's ahead of Dele Alli at this age. Alli scored 16 goals in League 1 and generally bossed it at 19 years old.

Alli joined Spurs and was quality from the start. He scored 10, 18, and 9 in his first three Premier League seasons and of course was an England regular.

Alex doesn't have the goals in his game but maybe technically slightly better? Not sure.

38 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think, in all seriousness, with Alex now we’re into a very limited number of premier league clubs being in the equation. Outside of the “big” clubs the only one I’d entertain if I was his advisor would be Brighton because of how they have developed players. I also think, as he’s said before, he wants to play football - and IMO he’s ready.

Chelsea are a basket case so rule them out. Liverpool are in the market for midfielders and I could see that. Arsenal he’d fit the style but as a Spurs fan - would he go? Newcastle to me have too many similar players, and although I’d think he’d thrive under Pep, is he needed at Man City? Man Utd a possibility but they have Fernandes. Abroad wise Dortmund are the obvious but I genuinely think they’d be priced out.

My overall view is that I think Liverpool are the most likely candidate, but I’d rather he stayed!

My concern with him going to any of the "Big Six" clubs is their track history with very young, very talented players who stand out in our division.

Looking at U23s you see Djed Spence (Spurs), Carvalho (Liverpool), Sessegnon (Spurs), Dan James (Man Utd) in recent times. Big talents, big fees...and straight on the bench or loaned back out. These teams do not take young superstar Championship players and develop them quickly into first team players. Scott would go to Liverpool and play U23s, Carabao Cup, and warm the bench.

Conversely look at the clubs lower down in the Premier League or in Germany in particular and you see players like Bowen (West Ham), Maddison (Leicester) Godfrey (Everton), Burke (Leipzig), Bellingham (Dortmund) even our own Webster (Brighton), Brownhill (Burnley), Kelly and now Semenyo (both Bournemouth) go and play. They go straight in and they get minutes and they develop. They may not win a token medal for playing 3 times in the early FA Cup rounds, but they move their career forward.

That's why I'd much prefer him to go to Brighton, Brentford, maybe Leicester, those lower sides who still have the cash to give us, but he will play. If it is true that what he most wants is to play football then he and his agent have to angle for a team outside of that "Big Six". They just have to.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

My concern with him going to any of the "Big Six" clubs is their track history with very young, very talented players who stand out in our division.

Looking at U23s you see Djed Spence (Spurs), Carvalho (Liverpool), Sessegnon (Spurs), Dan James (Man Utd) in recent times. Big talents, big fees...and straight on the bench or loaned back out. These teams do not take young superstar Championship players and develop them quickly into first team players. Scott would go to Liverpool and play U23s, Carabao Cup, and warm the bench.

Conversely look at the clubs lower down in the Premier League or in Germany in particular and you see players like Bowen (West Ham), Maddison (Leicester) Godfrey (Everton), Burke (Leipzig), Bellingham (Dortmund) even our own Webster (Brighton), Brownhill (Burnley), Kelly and now Semenyo (both Bournemouth) go and play. They go straight in and they get minutes and they develop. They may not win a token medal for playing 3 times in the early FA Cup rounds, but they move their career forward.

That's why I'd much prefer him to go to Brighton, Brantford, may Leicester, those lower sides who still have the cash to give us, but he will play. If it is ture that whata he most wants is to play football then he and his agent have to angle for a team outside of that "Big Six". They just have to.

Really good point. 

Ultimately, City just need the biggest fee available though.

• Like 2

Just now, mozo said:

Really good point. 

Ultimately, City just need the biggest fee available though.

Yes, from our perspective the £££ is key. But honestly even the poorest Premier League clubs can match our asking price.

The key for Scott is minutes. He's young. He should take a 3 year contract with one of those middling PL clubs, play 70 good games for them and then get his big move at 23. He'll still have ten good years in him to win trophies, break records, and nab that Ballon d'Or we all know he's on for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gazred said:

Said last week he's just too good for this league. There will be multiple suitors in the summer.

I agree 100% , but . The next level for him is to perform at a constant level like WBA last week. If he does that then the real big boys will be looking because at that level you have to be a 7-8 out of ten  every week . I really cannot wait to watch him against de Byrne , Bernardo silva in a few weeks . 

35 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

He needs to play wherever he goes. He knows that as well , he said it at the end of last season. I don’t think he’d entertain Chelsea , the lad got his head screwed on . He’d fit Liverpool 100%

8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

That's why I'd much prefer him to go to Brighton, Brentford, maybe Leicester, those lower sides who still have the cash to give us, but he will play. If it is true that what he most wants is to play football then he and his agent have to angle for a team outside of that "Big Six". They just have to.

I don’t think you’re being unreasonable there but I would disagree in terms of “moving career forward”. Burke stalled ridiculously. Kelly and Josh had a relegation and haven’t moved on from where we sold them. Godfrey wouldn’t still be in the equation for a top club as Everton is his level, as West Ham is Bowens level. I’d argue other than the anomaly that is Bellingham, only Maddison is closer to a “top” move than when he arrived at current club.

For me, although I understand and I don’t think you’re wrong in saying young players don’t get minutes at top clubs there are always exceptions. Alex is good enough to be the exception. If Curtis Jones can get minutes in Liverpools midfield Alex Scott certainly can. And if we’re in the £40m space, he’s being bought as a first teamer - even at a big club.

Again - would rather if we can we keep!

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Exactly,people worrying about the best for his career are in cloud cuckoo land 

I think the thing here is twofold -

Firstly, Alex genuinely comes across as a good kid and has given his all week on week. Look at how (similar to Bellingham in the World Cup post penalty) how he was straight to Atkinson post mistake Vs Swansea for example. He’s a good kid, works hard, and deserves success.

Secondly, as a fanbase - whether he’s from Guernsey or not, he’s one of our own. Debut for us, early years with us. He’ll always be “ours”. Fans have an affection for players, and their future success reflects both well on the club but the fans feel pride. Think of how much the gas go on about Lambert. Alex is one of us, and as fans every time he plays for England (as will happen) we will all feel pride.

There’s a mural of Bellingham at Brum. They’re insanely proud of him. Wanting the best for Alex is the same thing. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think the thing here is twofold -

Firstly, Alex genuinely comes across as a good kid and has given his all week on week. Look at how (similar to Bellingham in the World Cup post penalty) how he was straight to Atkinson post mistake Vs Swansea for example. He’s a good kid, works hard, and deserves success.

Secondly, as a fanbase - whether he’s from Guernsey or not, he’s one of our own. Debut for us, early years with us. He’ll always be “ours”. Fans have an affection for players, and their future success reflects both well on the club but the fans feel pride. Think of how much the gas go on about Lambert. Alex is one of us, and as fans every time he plays for England (as will happen) we will all feel pride.

There’s a mural of Bellingham at Brum. They’re insanely proud of him. Wanting the best for Alex is the same thing. 

Wanting the best for our club outweighs any player,the “our” nonsense needs to stop,he has no loyalty to city and never will because he he isn’t even a city fan 

Edited by joe jordans teeth

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I totally agree, and this isn't a criticism of you - but I really dislike the negative "enjoy him whilst he's here" mentality that pops up on this forum every single time a player of ours looks to have potential and ability outweighing our current standing.

Every City fan knows AS is certain to play at a higher standard than the Championship and that it's likely he'll get snapped up by someone else fairly soon. I just think it's a bit of a small time mentality for it to be said every single time he plays well.

Apologies if this feels like a dig at you, because it's not - just a forum bug bear of mine!

Well if we average 2 points per game for the rest of the season and win the play offs, then he might stay like

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I don’t think you’re being unreasonable there but I would disagree in terms of “moving career forward”. Burke stalled ridiculously. Kelly and Josh had a relegation and haven’t moved on from where we sold them. Godfrey wouldn’t still be in the equation for a top club as Everton is his level, as West Ham is Bowens level. I’d argue other than the anomaly that is Bellingham, only Maddison is closer to a “top” move than when he arrived at current club.

For me, although I understand and I don’t think you’re wrong in saying young players don’t get minutes at top clubs there are always exceptions. Alex is good enough to be the exception. If Curtis Jones can get minutes in Liverpools midfield Alex Scott certainly can. And if we’re in the £40m space, he’s being bought as a first teamer - even at a big club.

Again - would rather if we can we keep!

OK, but who is the last young player to go from the Championship to one of those top teams and make it stick? I struggle to think of any if I am honest.

Name the last player under the age of 21 that Liverpool signed from the Championship who got more than 1,000 minutes in the league in his first season.

I f Scott is as talented as you presume then even if he goes to Brentford, Brighton or Leicester he will stand out and, as Webster was with us, will be flipped on for £70m the following summer. If he's actually not as good as you say and you are wearing a very big pair of Mr. & Mrs. Biased's special biased glasses for the biased, then he will not, as he will have found his level. Equally, if he goes to Liverpool and is in fact not as good as we think, then again he will not get minutes and will be loaned out to Rennes to join Djed Spence.

Ultimately what I am saying is that if he really does want to play 40 games every season, then he should take that stepping stone club and break himself into the division above us at a more understanding and generous club.

Alternatively you and I could twist this argument to a point where it proves beyond doubt that he may as well just play for us forever because he's so good that he will naturally drag our club with him until we both find our level. I'd prefer that we do that and I am sure that Mr. Alexander will understand.

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If Scott goes for, say £25m in the summer, how much of that do you think we might see reinvested in the team - and how would Pearson spend it do you think?

As sad as it would be to see Scott go, a substantial summer “war chest” could also be fun…

Take his fee, deduct our losses for this season (likely £15-20m) and you'll get roughly what we can reinvest.

So if £25m then I'd estimate we'd have £5-10m to spend. But that has to cover fees, wages, signing on fees, agent fees etc.

How we spend it? Defenders based on the other players we tried to sign this window just gone.

• Like 1