IGNORED

Alex Scott - Treasure his outstanding talent

Curr Avon

2 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

A decent showing vs Man City in a few weeks would really catch the attention to some big clubs. Maybe even Man City themselves????

Hes clearly going to go in the summer, but, a big but, it could literally be the best thing for the club to help clear debts but set us up for some decent investment ( not the type of Mark Ashton investment) needed to progress the squad. 
£30m+ please!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Pretty confident he's going to be the biggest fee received in the championship this summer. 

He's entered a ridiculous form at the moment and doesn't seem to be dipping, but improving on it! We surely can demand a huge huge fee 

Does he really have ro leave this summer he's only 19  he could stay for another two seasons and not only be guranteed to play every week but be the focal point of the team(will he get that in the PL) and still be a very young player when he does move on for a big fee and contract.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Just hope for his sake he does not pick up another yellow and miss the chance to test himself against the best. Think it maybe a 2 game ban for 10 yellows?

He's in trouble I think you can easily see him getting booked in the next few games.

Saying that we have 4 games before then so may be ok

Edited by Super

42 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

What a joy to watch, again.

Outstanding ball control. twists better than Chubby Checker, fantastic awareness of space and terrific passing.

Treasure his wonderful talent whilst he's here.

The clock is ticking.

I totally agree, and this isn't a criticism of you - but I really dislike the negative "enjoy him whilst he's here" mentality that pops up on this forum every single time a player of ours looks to have potential and ability outweighing our current standing.

Every City fan knows AS is certain to play at a higher standard than the Championship and that it's likely he'll get snapped up by someone else fairly soon. I just think it's a bit of a small time mentality for it to be said every single time he plays well.

Apologies if this feels like a dig at you, because it's not - just a forum bug bear of mine!

• Like 6

Totally agree with those who say he is the most outstanding player we've had at the club in all my time watching. With Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid and Josh Brownhill there was always a sense that they might ultimately get a chance in the Premier League but the difference with Scott is that it feels like, barring serious injury, it is inevitable he will become a Premier League player, might well become a key player at a major side.

However, as much as we'll undoubtedly miss his talent when he goes, it feels like the club is finally at a point where there is enough of a structure and a platform to withstand losing major assets without substantially weakening the side. Whenever a key player left in the past it felt like there'd be a spending spree and a gamble and maybe one or two of the five players we bought might turn out to be half-decent. Nowadays it feels like, when Scott goes, we'll buy a couple of players who fit with a coherent recruitment strategy and quickly have another prospect coming through. It may be a while until we get another talent like Scott but it feels like they'll certainly be more young players who are good enough to earn their spot in the team. 

Edited by LondonBristolian

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I totally agree, and this isn't a criticism of you - but I really dislike the negative "enjoy him whilst he's here" mentality that pops up on this forum every single time a player of ours looks to have potential and ability outweighing our current standing.

Every City fan knows AS is certain to play at a higher standard than the Championship and that it's likely he'll get snapped up by someone else fairly soon. I just think it's a bit of a small time mentality for it to be said every single time he plays well.

Apologies if this feels like a dig at you, because it's not - just a forum bug bear of mine!

I sort of get your point. But I sort of see the other side too. 

On random points I’m on holiday abroad I like to stop and remind myself that I’m on holiday because I know in the blink of an eye it’ll be over and I’ll be back at work. 

So in short, enjoy him while he’s here! ? 

11 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Hes clearly going to go in the summer, but, a big but, it could literally be the best thing for the club to help clear debts but set us up for some decent investment ( not the type of Mark Ashton investment) needed to progress the squad. 
£30m+ please!

Ah, Mark Ashton. 

What a truly terrible man to have happened to this club. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I sort of get your point. But I sort of see the other side too. 

On random points I’m on holiday abroad I like to stop and remind myself that I’m on holiday because I know in the blink of an eye it’ll be over and I’ll be back at work. 

So in short, enjoy him while he’s here! ? 

Haha - enjoy your holiday whilst it's here !

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

He might already be our best ever player. I suspect he will probably go on to have the best career of any player ever to play for us. Incredible at 19

Who would you say is the benchmark in the modern era? Cole? Abraham? They've both had good top flight careers plus England caps.

3 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

Andy Cole ? 

Cole went on to be great. Scott is better at our level than Cole was back then in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Who would you say is the benchmark in the modern era? Cole? Abraham? They've both had good top flight careers plus England caps.

Abraham wasn’t ours. He’s easily ruled out. 

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

He needs to pick up a yellow next game to guarantee being available for Man City!

I thought yellow cards only applied to individual competitions?  So if Alex was booked in league matches it does not carry over to the F A Cup..........unless the rules have changed?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

At the moment I'd go Cole over Abraham (even if I didn't agree with @Fordy62 about not counting a loan) as he played a key role in a team that won a hell of a lot of trophies. Still time for Abraham to win more but he'd need more honours to usurp Cole. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Ah, Mark Ashton. 

What a truly terrible man to have happened to this club. 

I actually think it would've been really interesting to see what Lee Johnson could've done with this crop of young players. Make no mistake, I'd much MUCH rather it was Pearson managing them.. but I think it didn't suit Johnson to have all that money to spend combined with Ashton's presence. 

I've always thought Johnson had a really good eye for a player (Brownhill, Bobby Reid position change, Webster etc) and perhaps he would've actually done better with less money. 

The combination of Johnson and Ashton didn't work at all long term. Ironically, I think Johnson would've done a lot better with someone like Pearson in the Ashton role/DOF!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

He might already be our best ever player. I suspect he will probably go on to have the best career of any player ever to play for us. Incredible at 19

I think it’s quite frightening where he could go in his career, I genuinely think that this and another season in the Championship (assuming no promotion) will genuinely give him the best possible continuation to his football education. It would be really interesting where his future might be if the has an outstanding game against Man City…

• Like 1

Just now, bexhill reds said:

I think it’s quite frightening where he could go in his career, I genuinely think that this and another season in the Championship (assuming no promotion) will genuinely give him the best possible continuation to his football education. It would be really interesting where his future might be if the has an outstanding game against Man City…

I also think he may not be in a hurry to move and might even extend his contact to get him more money in the short term and the club security around getting a fee. He seems settled, he seems to be quite close to a lot of the other young players coming through and he'll know he's good enough for a club to eventually pay whatever asking price City ultimately set. I'm sure he'll go when the right offer comes in but he doesn't need to move to the first club to pay the asking price and can hold out for the move that seems right for him. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Got to be Cole. Won the treble with United!

6 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I thought yellow cards only applied to individual competitions?  So if Alex was booked in league matches it does not carry over to the F A Cup..........unless the rules have changed?

Didn’t Pring miss out against WBA in the cup last week due to suspension? Might be wrong.

• Like 1