IGNORED

Alex Scott - Treasure his outstanding talent

Curr Avon

14 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

It's almost impossible to compare players who were/are playing for us fifty years apart.

Gow may have been a harder tackler and actually scored more goals.

Alex certainly has more pace.

To compare them to get which is the better one is unfair on both. Those of us who saw Gow's whole career at City over ten years will more easily remember him as he was toward the end of his City career. However we've only had under two seasons to judge and compare Scott.

A ten year spell with City will put him up at the top table with the Bristol City all time greats, Wedlock, Atyeo and Gow.

I mentioned Gerry Sharpe in a previous thread @cidered abroad, and although he was before my time I think you have said you saw Eisentrager (another Alex :) ) would you say they were better comparisons?

13 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think the thing here is twofold -

Firstly, Alex genuinely comes across as a good kid and has given his all week on week. Look at how (similar to Bellingham in the World Cup post penalty) how he was straight to Atkinson post mistake Vs Swansea for example. He’s a good kid, works hard, and deserves success.

Secondly, as a fanbase - whether he’s from Guernsey or not, he’s one of our own. Debut for us, early years with us. He’ll always be “ours”. Fans have an affection for players, and their future success reflects both well on the club but the fans feel pride. Think of how much the gas go on about Lambert. Alex is one of us, and as fans every time he plays for England (as will happen) we will all feel pride.

There’s a mural of Bellingham at Brum. They’re insanely proud of him. Wanting the best for Alex is the same thing. 

I used to think the way Birmingham acted was a bit embarrassing, I’m not suggesting we retire Scott’s number but I certainly get it now. You just don’t get this type of player very often at a club like ours 

4 minutes ago, Super said:

Why would they not be able to afford him?

I'm guessing it was a joke?

I'd be shocked if Dortmund scouts aren't looking at him. He'd be available for about a 3rd of the Bellingham money and would be able to hit the ground running in the Bundesliga.

Totally makes sense for Scott too because he'd have a good chance of regular games at a team likely to be in the Champions League. 

Dortmund are back in the title race this season n all.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Ian M said:

If he keeps up the current form, could an U21 call up happen before the season is out?

I find it odd he’s not in there already, Mcatee, Doyle & Morton all in the squad ahead of him last time. 
Clearly streets ahead of all 3 of them (although I was impressed by Morton last week) guess it’s just because he’s not in a ‘big 6’ club.

The difference between AS and Gerry Gow (and Gerry Sharp, as someone mentioned him) is that Alex, when introduced to first team football, hit the ground running. I'm old enough to remember Gow's first season , (and come to that early seasons Sharp)...... basically they weren't very good, AND the crowd didn't like them much..........."Gow's not a patch on Kellard" . It took a good four or five months for Gow to settle and play football , instead of just "kicking " people! Even Sharpey didn't really "do it" until about two seasons before his tragic ,premature retirement .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

The difference between AS and Gerry Gow (and Gerry Sharp, as someone mentioned him) is that Alex, when introduced to first team football, hit the ground running. I'm old enough to remember Gow's first season , (and come to that early seasons Sharp)...... basically they weren't very good, AND the crowd didn't like them much..........."Gow's not a patch on Kellard" . It took a good four or five months for Gow to settle and play football , instead of just "kicking " people! Even Sharpey didn't really "do it" until about two seasons before his tragic ,premature retirement .

In Gow's defence he was only 17 on debut, and there were some right old tough men in those days. :)

I remember my old man being nearly in tears when he told me Gerry Sharpe was finished.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I mentioned Gerry Sharpe in a previous thread @cidered abroad, and although he was before my time I think you have said you saw Eisentrager (another Alex :) ) would you say they were better comparisons?

Eisentrager was a forward. Played winger and inside forward. Could jump very high for a short person. A solid player but not in the same league as Scott.

Gerry Sharpe was in the same build as Scott. Tricky with ball and in that department similar to Scott..

But with no disrespect to either Alec and Gerry, neither of them as good as Scott except maybe for the number of goals scored.

Both are regarded by me as among the City players to remember but as Scott may not be here much longer he'll be forgotten in 30 years.

• Thanks 1

We can all see the obvious technical skill,  awareness, timing, spacial awareness, weight of pass, movement etc...but there is one thing that really sticks out for me...and that's how he shapes his body to receive and move, not only in possession but out of it as well. He uses it to create space for himself, which in turn creates extra time. He also uses so well to protect the ball...in doing so he either creates space for himself or draws a foul. 

The move he did yesterday in the lead up to the perfectly weighted ball down the channel to Wells...note how after beating the defender, he cuts inside across the defender,  blocking any tackle, and if there is one, it would lead to a foul.

He does this time and time again. It's a very special quality.

I'd love to know whether he was doing this whilst at Guernsey or whether it's something he's picked up whilst being coached in the U23s. 

Stunning player.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Am I really reading comparisons with the likes of Graelish and Iniesta and him spearheading an 2023-24 promotion push? Easy guys.

It’s difficult to compare his potential with Grealish, however, he is ahead of him in experience at the same age; at Scott’s age, Grealish was on loan in League One and only just about to return to Villa to make his debut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

We can all see the obvious technical skill,  awareness, timing, spacial awareness, weight of pass, movement etc...but there is one thing that really sticks out for me...and that's how he shapes his body to receive and move, not only in possession but out of it as well. He uses it to create space for himself, which in turn creates extra time. He also uses so well to protect the ball...in doing so he either creates space for himself or draws a foul. 

The move he did yesterday in the lead up to the perfectly weighted ball down the channel to Wells...note how after beating the defender, he cuts inside across the defender,  blocking any tackle, and if there is one, it would lead to a foul.

I'd love to know whether he was doing this whilst at Guernsey or whether it's something he's picked up whilst being coached in the U23s. 

Stunning player.

Great post

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Stunning player.

Absolutely spot on. The difference between a good player and an exceptional one . He has the chance to be

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CityCiderEd said:

Absolutely spot on. The difference between a good player and an exceptional one . He has the chance to be

To be what?????  I've been sat here for an hour for you to finish this sentence.  I can't take it anymore!!!

Edited by Sitrom
Grammer

17 minutes ago, Sitrom said:

To be what?????  I've been sat here for an hour for you to finish this sentence.  I can't take it anymore!!!

The king of Burundi?

Miss World?

The first footballer in space?

Edited by mozo
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

He is incredible for his age but we need to keep calm and keep a perspective. 

It was only preston away last season that everyone was raving about massengos performance alongside the brilliant Scott

He is certainly in superb form at the moment and it's a joy to see him, bell and many others in the team thriving. 

???

2 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

Never finish a sentence on preposition.

It leaves people in a state of

suspense.

Edited by bcfc01
  • Haha 1