IGNORED

20/1 to finish in the play offs

And Its Smith

Make that 2-2!

Wait, as we were- 3-2 Watford!

Table was as I posted. 8 pts ofd 6th, same games played- that would be Sunderland.

Joint 6th are Millwall who have a game in hand on us, which is vs Luton who are 4th, 9 pts above us but same number of games played. 

In short...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvyqvSjrhZKY_aGtrNxNy

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

8 minutes ago, Magger1 said:

We just need to take each game as it comes no eyes on game to follow , forget Man City and let’s get the 3 points sat THEN just enjoy Man City game more important is the Cardiff match .Let’s keep improving and keep believing COYR 

This is ultimately the best approach, agreed.

Game by game, step by step. Still don't see the playoffs as being on but one game at a time, enjoy- leave everything on the pitch and see where it takes us.

Gaining 8 points on one team is perfectly plausible if we remain strong and they fall away - but getting past 9 teams, each with a head start on us, would require very strong form. Having got rid of losses (for now at least), we’d also need to reduce draws significantly. Not sure a Burnley-esque run of form is likely, but if we have one, play offs are in reach. Worse form than heroic and we’ll be beaten to the play-offs by one of the other nine having a slightly better run than us (or the same/worse, but maintaining their existing advantage). Not sure 20/1 is terrible value, accepting bookies will be pricing over round, 25/1 or 33/1 maybe more mathematically accurate. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

To stand any chance of making the playoffs, we would have to win pretty much every match between now and playing Middlesbrough, because there don’t appear to be many wins likely in April. So the playoffs are not impossible but highly unlikely. And certainly more than 20/1.

However, if we were to fail to reach the playoffs by 3 points or less, that first game refereeing debacle at Hull becomes even more important.

Not many wins likely in April? if we carry on improving like we have over the last 6 weeks or so I feel we should fear nobody in this division.

• Like 2

I appreciate its good to finish as strongly as possible, but do we actually want to be in the playoffs? I mean, would we want to get promoted with a squad that has spent half the season closer to the relegation zone? 

I think I’d rather finish about tenth with a view to another improvement next season. If by chance we got promoted in the playoffs now, I suspect next season would be utter humiliation.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I appreciate its good to finish as strongly as possible, but do we actually want to be in the playoffs? I mean, would we want to get promoted with a squad that has spent half the season closer to the relegation zone? 

I think I’d rather finish about tenth with a view to another improvement next season. If by chance we got promoted in the playoffs now, I suspect next season would be utter humiliation.

Am sure the same could have been said of Forest last year and they're now 13th in the Prem.

Opportunities don't come often and whenever the next happens it will be difficult.

Not likely we'll do it this year but if we can we should make the most of it. If we don't then we could end up losing some good young players and the cycle starts again.

Sooner the better for me.

COYR!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

27 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I’m sure we’d strengthen the squad, don’t you?

31 minutes ago, Leveller said:

That’s the spirit 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kashmir said:

That’s the spirit 

The Forest comparison is an interesting one. At the moment their approach seems to be working, though they were much mocked for the huge numbers of incoming players, which initially seemed to create confusion. Fair play to the manager though.

I genuinely think I’d rather progress a bit more steadily, but it’s arguable of course.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Am sure the same could have been said of Forest last year and they're now 13th in the Prem.

Opportunities don't come often and whenever the next happens it will be difficult.

Not likely we'll do it this year but if we can we should make the most of it. If we don't then we could end up losing some good young players and the cycle starts again.

Sooner the better for me.

COYR!

Having checked, Forest obviously started badly and were bottom in September. But Steve Cooper had them in 7th at Christmas and 4th by the end of the season. He did a fantastic job very quickly and has maintained it unbelievably well. It’s always possible we could do the same, but this season for us bears no comparison - yet- to them last season.

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

The Forest comparison is an interesting one. At the moment their approach seems to be working, though they were much mocked for the huge numbers of incoming players, which initially seemed to create confusion. Fair play to the manager though.

I genuinely think I’d rather progress a bit more steadily, but it’s arguable of course.

The Forest example is an interesting one.  The gamble seems to be working at the mo’….5 points clear with 15 games to go…from a league status point of view.

I do wonder what the financial side of the coin shows, and how that might restrict them in future a) if they do stay up but b) if they do still end up getting relegated.

There must be some cheesed off players, despite their wages, not getting game time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Percy Pig said:

But we'd be near enough £200m better off as a club over the following 4 seasons... I'd take a 0 point season in the prem to have that influx of money into the coffers. 

Fair point, though that actual season would take the gloss off the promotion a fair bit! And I wouldn’t like to see us do a Cardiff- subsequent success is not guaranteed.

I'm as bad as anyone for checking results and being eternally optimistic but I'm trying to fight my instincts.

Regardless of what anyone else does, 70 points gets you close to the play offs. If we keep up our 50% draw and 50% win ratio from our last 6 games we get to 69 points. If we can do slightly better than that and cross the 70 point line, we'll be in with a shout.

Keep believing.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

I'm as bad as anyone for checking results and being eternally optimistic but I'm trying to fight my instincts.

Regardless of what anyone else does, 70 points gets you close to the play offs. If we keep up our 50% draw and 50% win ratio from our last 6 games we get to 69 points. If we can do slightly better than that and cross the 70 point line, we'll be in with a shout.

Keep believing.

A few weeks ago (after the 2 draws v Millwall and Cov), I think we 18th / 19th and 15th was 6 points ahead of us, 16th was 4 points ahead of us, so in American terms, more than a game ahead of us.  Birmingham were 17th and 3 points ahead, but goal difference would see us go above them if we won they lost.

Thats kinda how I look at the table….how many teams are within a game of us if our results goes well, there’s doesn’t.  I think about overhauling those teams first, before looking behind. So, these are the teams in my sights:

image.png.66dd5da0e77a74d736c3d12a8689625c.png

If I got all ahead of myself, I could look at who is within a game of us if we won our game in hand.

image.png.41f95e5f3e54e76166e210919c1d8047.png

But, actually those two teams have played the same as us…so I’m only really looking at Swansea, Hull (Sat’s game) and Preston.

So I’m pretty much still looking at it one game at a time…although I do look at the results above (and below) us, and hope the right team(s) drop points.  I’d have preferred Burnley to win last night, as that weakens Millwall for example.

I think Hull on Saturday is gonna be a really tough game.  We saw against Wigan the “danger” of fans thinking a win is on the cards.

Preston home to Wigan will have their fans thinking 3 points, as will Swansea home to Rotherham.

Would not surprise me if all 3 ended as draws!

• Like 3

I still see it as pretty unlikely. Each game that passes, our margin for error falls.

Agree @Davefevs Hull will be tough. Checked tneit run too and 28 pts from 19 gsmes now and in that spell they went 7 unbeaten on the road, losing only 2 of 10...feels like a decent chance of a draw to me Saturday but if we score early maybe different.

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

After tonight's results do we think we have a slight glimmer more or does it slip further away?

Blackburn and Norwich won

Millwall drew (with Burnley- impressive 2 games for them)!

Sunderland and Swansea lost.

Screenshot_20230221-232557_Chrome.thumb.jpg.de434e8bf0fbe794e69e6ff97aee681d.jpg

No.

It's looking like 6th place is going to be 70 points or so. So if we want even a chance of finishing in the top 6 we need another 29 points from our final 14 games. 2.07 points per game. We also need the teams above us to fall away, or at least none of them can go on a similar run.

It's not happening. 

We're about as mid-table as you can get. 10 wins, 11 draws, 11 losses, +1 GD. Middle of the road. Sleepwalking to 12th place.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

No.

It's looking like 6th place is going to be 70 points or so. So if we want even a chance of finishing in the top 6 we need another 29 points from our final 14 games. 2.07 points per game. We also need the teams above us to fall away, or at least none of them can go on a similar run.

It's not happening. 

We're about as mid-table as you can get. 10 wins, 11 draws, 11 losses, +1 GD. Middle of the road. Sleepwalking to 12th place.

So what you're saying then is that we need to win on Saturday 10-0 to get some lovely patterns going there, right? P33, W11, D11, L11, GD +11, PTS 44.

Game on, I say

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

On 21/02/2023 at 10:20, Leveller said:

It depends as promotion through play off final brings with it est £200 m so there is a lot can be done with that , I thought forest were nailed on relegation certs but after spending £130 million they look set to remain in prem , and that brings more money so I don’t think we will make it but who knows?

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I still see it as pretty unlikely. Each game that passes, our margin for error falls.

Agree @Davefevs Hull will be tough. Checked tneit run too and 28 pts from 19 gsmes now and in that spell they went 7 unbeaten on the road, losing only 2 of 10...feels like a decent chance of a draw to me Saturday but if we score early maybe different.

Not happening too many teams to get past we'll prob finish mid table which will be a good season. Playoff talk is just daft.

3 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

So what you're saying then is that we need to win on Saturday 10-0 to get some lovely patterns going there, right? P33, W11, D11, L11, GD +11, PTS 44.

Game on, I say

Would be nice to level wins and loses. Some months ago since we were at that. For the perfect midtable team we need to win on Saturday by conceding one more goal than we score, so we have the same draws wins and losses with a 0 gd. Might be tricky but in Nigel we triust.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Would be nice to level wins and loses. Some months ago since we were at that. For the perfect midtable team we need to win on Saturday by conceding one more goal than we score, so we have the same draws wins and losses with a 0 gd. Might be tricky but in Nigel we triust.

I prefer my "divisible by 11" version of events personally!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Game on, I say

If that sweet numerical symmetry isn't enough to get the players fired up, I don't know what is!!?

Pin it up in the changing room! ?

• Haha 1