IGNORED

European Super League

Barrs Court Red

43 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

But will man city use this as a reason why they should not be relegated in their punishment for current allegations of their wrong doing. Going to turn into a game of bluff I feel . Or will the money be allowed to bias decisions yet again 

I don't know if I'm missing something but I don't see how they could in that I just don't see any connection between the two things or how one could influence the other. How do you think it might?

In terms of the actual proposal, they've taken out all the bits that felt horrifying the first time round but it's now become something I don't really see the point of.

I think a lot of the problem is that football is basically maxed out in terms of how far organisers can push commercial concepts and maximise interests but it has left even the big clubs losing money trying to keep pace. Hence this constant chase for something that will generate eve more money but I'm not sure something that will generate even more money exists and the major risk is football organisers ******* up what they have already (which I certainly think is the case with the latest plans for the Champions League).

When will Football fans realise the actual Super League is our Premier League? When a side can be relegated and get more money than the side who finishes 3rd in La Liga that says it all.

It's all about money - Real Madrid, Juventus, Barcelona want a slice of what we have. I don't even like what we have really, I think part of me feels the Prem has lost its soul a long time ago and for this reason alone I can take or leave Bristol City ever making the top flight as it currently is.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Never understood why people were against it.

Clubs were never ever going to leave their domestic leagues. Its simply a replacement for the Champions league. 

All those people protesting before were simply unknowingly showing their support for UEFA. 

A slight rewriting of history there.

• Flames 1

Just now, View from the Dolman said:

It's not though - there was a self-selecting group of clubs who decreed that they shall have a seat at the top table forever more.

It was something like 9 permanent clubs and 3 entries based on sporting merit. 

It was never the closed shop that people believed it was. 

I'm not saying I'm happy with the previous proposed format. But let's be honest, the likes of Barca, Real, Bayern etc are already pretty much permanent members of the Champions league so it's really no different to that. It was just a condensed version of the CL. 

Let's be honest in the early rounds of the CL the games are pants. I'd much rather watch Real Vs PSG.

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It was something like 9 permanent clubs and 3 entries based on sporting merit. 

It was never the closed shop that people believed it was. 

How can these two sentences be compatible next to each other? Having permanent teams that get to play regardless of merit is 'closing the shop' surely, letting a few guests in doesn't change that, especially when those 9 teams effectively get to decide who those guests are

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

32 minutes ago, 2015 said:

When will Football fans realise the actual Super League is our Premier League? When a side can be relegated and get more money than the side who finishes 3rd in La Liga that says it all.

It's all about money - Real Madrid, Juventus, Barcelona want a slice of what we have. I don't even like what we have really, I think part of me feels the Prem has lost its soul a long time ago and for this reason alone I can take or leave Bristol City ever making the top flight as it currently is.

Exactly this. You just have to look at what the PL spent in January compared to other European leagues.

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Exactly this. You just have to look at what the PL spent in January compared to other European leagues.

Yep. I just look at Forest and think 'how sad' signing 30 PLAYERS in their first season back in the Prem since 1999. Is that really what us City fans would want? I don't think so.

I can take it or leave it to be honest, it aint all that. The journey to get there is better than the destination itself

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, BCFC101 said:

How can these two sentences be compatible next to each other? Having permanent teams that get to play regardless of merit is 'closing the shop' surely, letting a few guests in doesn't change that, especially when those 9 teams effectively get to decide who those guests are

But Real, Barca, PSG, Man City, Bayern etc all get in the Champions league every season anyways. So whats the difference?

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Because they’re there on merit and can be knocked out. Are you really asking that question? 

They haven't been there on merit since the day of the European Cup when only the Champions qualified. Since then it has become more and more diluted. Now the top 4 qualify and soon it will be the top 6. All those clubs make millions from the Champions League every season thus pulling them ever further away from the rest of the league.

• Flames 1

Pathetic from Reichert. No detail, just nebulous statements about "stablility and predictability” of revenue, "change", and sideswipes hinting at increasing club control. 

Well which clubs will control it Reichert? Will Bodo/Glimt get the same power as PSG? Are you going to give AEK Athens a veto or should that maybe go to Real Madrid? Where's the substance, where's the structure? Will the ESL be a company where every team holds a share with equal rights or will voting shares be limited to just 15 "Founder" clubs or something shite like that? FFS he doesn't even commit to the number of teams that would be in the competition.

A22 is nothing more than a public face for Juventus, Barca, Real Madrid and others that still want to break out from UEFA's jurisdiction. Barcelona even ran a piece on their own website about his appointment as CEO in October 2022.

UEFA are far from perfect, but they at least run competitions that require some merit to qualify for and are at least governed independently of the clubs that join those competitions.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

That's the thing that I never understood was that if the 6 English clubs (I'm just using them as an example from the original plan) all made it to the "top division", how would the likes of Leicester, West ham, Newcastle (???) or whoever get to take part later on? In that event, it would be ring fenced as they surely wouldn't allow it to be filled with clubs from the same league. Do they need to keep a quota for certain countries taking part? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Batman said:

That's the thing that I never understood was that if the 6 English clubs (I'm just using them as an example from the original plan) all made it to the "top division", how would the likes of Leicester, West ham, Newcastle (???) or whoever get to take part later on? In that event, it would be ring fenced as they surely wouldn't allow it to be filled with clubs from the same league. Do they need to keep a quota for certain countries taking part? 

Sky Sports rubbing their hands together. It's not a 'closed shop' anymore so it's all ok we can make our billions from tv rights. 'Not a closed shop anymore' so it's all ok.

Don't be fooled by the tv companies - they want this to happen. £££

• Like 2

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Never understood why people were against it.

Clubs were never ever going to leave their domestic leagues. Its simply a replacement for the Champions league. 

All those people protesting before were simply unknowingly showing their support for UEFA. 

Aren’t there now like 14 confirmed minimum fixtures? If it’s a replacement for the champions league how do those involved propose to play a minimum extra 8 games a season? Without complaining about travel and schedules to boot 

11 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Sky Sports rubbing their hands together. It's not a 'closed shop' anymore so it's all ok we can make our billions from tv rights. 'Not a closed shop anymore' so it's all ok.

Course they do. Vultures. 

How it'll work with sky's "green" campaign I have no idea. Good luck squaring that circle with all that extra travelling, flights, fuel etc that fans all over Europe will be doing. Even better if they hold these games in Singapore, Hong Kong, LA like the original plan was. 

22 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Actually no and as this points out the PL handbook prevents clubs from joining a breakaway league.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/12806794/premier-league-clubs-cant-join-european-super-league-why-plans-have-little-chance-of-succeeding

1 hour ago, jj77 said:

It's not though, is it?

A lot of it is all the hype surrounding it. People like Martin Tyler claiming things like THIS IS THE LEAGUE OF LATE GOALS!

and bollocks like that.. All leagues get late goals, you ****!

And this from the same bloke who a few years ago I heard saying maybe we should spare a thought for the Premier League players giving up their time on a Christmas to entertain us.

Can't stand most things related to it, tbh.

Tyler, Neville, Carragher, Jones or whatever his name is the presenter bloke, they all do my head in.

The Championship footy for me, every time.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

And there's every chance Chelsea and Liverpool won't qualify for next season's CL. Sporting merit as opposed to a guaranteed place then.

Not if they increase it to six clubs in the future. You can have a poor season and still squeeze into 6th place. Not that I care, I cancelled my BT subscription, at the start of the season, as I didn't want to contribute to this greed.