IGNORED

European Super League

Barrs Court Red

52 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Meh if they go, they go, but i just think due to the massive reaction & protests of the fans last time that they may think twice about it. I often find the most boring matches are when the top teams play each other anyway, these days with the amount of analysis & tactic work they put in to it, they end up cancelling each other out so it's a drab affair.....people would soon get bored of watching that type of football every week.

I don’t disagree . If it does happen though , I think the premier league will shit itself if it thinks the so called “big” 6 will go & bow down to them . That will result in again too many games & a watering down or scrapping of the league & F.A cups . At the heart of all this is eufa & fifa not being fit for purpose . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red Skin said:

And so did Man Utd, but it looks like they won't be this season and maybe for a few more if they don't get their act together.  

It's an unfair meritocracy at present given the finances these clubs enjoy, but at least there is a chance others can break into it. 

There in sits the problem of a superleague made up of the biggest clubs not necessarily the best clubs.  You only have to look at the Spanish league and see Girona sitting at the top and Leicester here a few seasons back.  I don't see the value in a super league consisting of the biggest clubs who want to play in it.

• Like 1

To be fair, this new champions league format they are trying to force on us next year looks dreadful, the thought of a super league doesnt bother me, its the fact they wanted to just leave our leagues and make it impossible for other teams to qualify for it.

So just for that it shouldn't happen, we all know that once they start it, they will be looking to vote on them staying in it forever.

11 minutes ago, prankerd said:

To be fair, this new champions league format they are trying to force on us next year looks dreadful, the thought of a super league doesnt bother me, its the fact they wanted to just leave our leagues and make it impossible for other teams to qualify for it.

So just for that it shouldn't happen, we all know that once they start it, they will be looking to vote on them staying in it forever.

It's a fact that that was never on the agenda. That was just the way UEFA framed it.

Clubs were never going to leave their domestic leagues. 

The ESL was/is a competitor to Uefas Euro competitions. 

When fans were out protesting they firmly believed clubs wanted to leave the premier league.

11 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I still think the end goal is for some form of world league. 

interesting that they’re saying it will be shown for free. 

That's a great idea, just as the rest of the world is trying to reduce its carbon footprint, the clubs will be talking about "offsetting" and other "pretendy Green initiatives".

• Like 1

World League is an interesting concept.

Already a Club World Cup which will have 32 sides in the near future and there was, dunno whether there still is, talk of an African Super League..which intriguingly FIFA were not necessarily against.

Totally out of keeping with carbon footprint reduction though.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

But free shit is so much better and cheaper 

When you hear "free" that usually mean you're the product! Endless adverts, product placements, and a fair chunk of exploitation somewhere along the line... Not "better" in my book.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

When you hear "free" that usually mean you're the product! Endless adverts, product placements, and a fair chunk of exploitation somewhere along the line... Not "better" in my book.

And then a paid for version with no adverts which price will keep increasing every couple of years 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Free to start with ( to drown out the objections and get fans onside) but no doubt charges will follow. BT sport was free ( to BT broadband customers) when it launched PL coverage but now they charge like everyone else.

Edited by CodeRed
  • Like 3

Just now, CodeRed said:

Free to start with ( to drown out the objections and get fans inside) but no doubt charges will follow. BT sport was free ( to BT broadband customers) when it launched PL coverage but now they charge like everyone else.

Oh I have no doubt that this particular carrot would in no way last - that’s a huge revenue stream. 

39 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

What train is everyone getting for Rio de Janeiro?

32 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

That's a great idea, just as the rest of the world is trying to reduce its carbon footprint, the clubs will be talking about "offsetting" and other "pretendy Green initiatives".

I am not a green politically but like a lot of people I am concerned about how sustainable this would be. Elsewhere I have posted about the Welsh, Irish and Scottish rugby teams travelling to play club rugby in South Africa and vice versa. Not right for me, Cardiff flying to SA when they have Bristol, Bath and Glos on their doorstep?

Same here with the football. Not burning the carbon in the 1st place should be the priority. Offset existing carbon is ok ish, creating more sports travel is not right in my book.

• Like 1

I'm all in favour of a Euro League.

Getting shot of the "big 6" would make the EPL more competitive and enjoyable imo. If the EPL could as a result be brought back or merged into the Football League, even better.

Also, barring the Euro clubs from the domestic cups would also make those competitions more competitive.

New european cups could be easily be set up without those in the Euro League.

EUEFA and FIFA should let them get on with it and just cut them off from the domestic leagues.

Fat Chance..

• Like 1