IGNORED

What tactics should we employ to beat Manchester City?

Curr Avon

Recreate the conditions of Manchester City's FA Cup defeats to Halifax at the Shay in January 1980 (the day we were whipping Derby 6:2) by instructing the Bristol rugby lot to train on it Sunday and Monday and then having a sprinkler "problem" similar to the floodlights v Liverpool '94 only "we can't seem to bloody turn 'em off, Pep" rather than switching them on being the problem. 

We should to direct their coach off at Stroud and get them to take the A46 and then try to get through the Bath Rd*. They will be so late we will be 4-0 up by the time they get on the pitch.

Alternatively, we should at least turn up and get the players to constantly remind them they have a tough game against Newcastle coming up at the weekend 

*Yes, I am aware they will probably fly to Bristol Airport.

If we play a high press, they are experts at breaking lines.

We sit in, they will pick us off.

We can't out pass them.

We don't have the players to go direct.

We can't man mark their best players, they're all top quality.

We could pack the MF in a 4-5-1 system and hope for a break or some luck.

Screenshot2023-02-24at11_19_09.png.7f9185a5263c0facebfcd173f4552663.png

Football is about probabilities not certainties, and whatever we do they will be heavy heavy favourites. Hopefully not a stuffing.

Best chance I guess is to play a fairly low block, deny them space and hope they get bored tiki-taki'ing between themselves. We are a team that plays pretty much on the break rather than possession based anyway so that is in our favour. Ability to attack quickly when we do turn it over will be important. Every now and again press them down when they are fart arsing around at the back passing between the gaolie and their back line to keep then honest.

Then hope the big moments go our way. Our chance is small, but not 0%.

I’m just glad that I’m not involved in coaching at City!

However Nige is very experienced and will hopefully come up with a strategy when facing Man City.

All the players know what tough opponents they’ll be facing, live on Tv and want to impress so Nige won’t have motivate any of them, just saying ‘go out and enjoy it’

The basics are that’s 11 v 11 but Man City’s 11 are superior to our 11 and they should beat us - that said in any cup competition upsets are always possible.

Naturally we have to sit in and absorb pressure to frustrate Man City and put them out of their flow. It's a risky business but we don't have much choice.

If you're going to be mostly defending, you absolutely must have a threat going forward too. My crazy plan is this...

Bell to spearhead the attack. He has one lethal weapon that the Man City defence will struggle with; PACE.

Don't play Bell wide where Walker will keep up with him. Play him central, and hope he can latch onto a clearance (or even a pass, if we can muster a few of those!)

The pace of Bell and the sheer class of Scott, give us a chance to get out and give Man City problems. 

I might be off my nut, but I would also be tempted to play JD left full back and Pring left forward. Print is comfortable going forward but also we would have a defensive balance that side.

33 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m just glad that I’m not involved in coaching at City!

However Nige is very experienced and will hopefully come up with a strategy when facing Man City.

All the players know what tough opponents they’ll be facing, live on Tv and want to impress so Nige won’t have motivate any of them, just saying ‘go out and enjoy it’

The basics are that’s 11 v 11 but Man City’s 11 are superior to our 11 and they should beat us - that said in any cup competition upsets are always possible.

Best Sarcastic Thank Yoy GIFs | Gfycat

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

They would've played Wednesday and Saturday evening before they play us on Tuesday. They were also away in Germany on Wednesday, plus they're away to Bournemouth on Saturday, plus they are away to us (obviously). That's three away games in six days, plus a trip to Europe and back. They fielded a full strength team on Wednesday and with how tight the Premier League is at the moment I would fully expect them to field a full strength team on Saturday too. Because of this I think they'll field a weakened team on Tuesday (even though their bench is probably good enough to finish top 4 in the Premier League).

My tactic, go and attack them. Take advantage of the fact they might be inexperienced, not been getting many minutes or have tired legs. Use this to our adavntage. Unleash players like Scott, Bell, Sykes on them who are not afreaid to take players on. Have a real go at them. When we beat Man United we did it by showing them no respect and by attacking them. When we played City the last two times we did the same. Lets go toe to toe with them.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

17 minutes ago, mozo said:

Naturally we have to sit in and absorb pressure to frustrate Man City and put them out of their flow. It's a risky business but we don't have much choice.

If you're going to be mostly defending, you absolutely must have a threat going forward too. My crazy plan is this...

Bell to spearhead the attack. He has one lethal weapon that the Man City defence will struggle with; PACE.

Don't play Bell wide where Walker will keep up with him. Play him central, and hope he can latch onto a clearance (or even a pass, if we can muster a few of those!)

The pace of Bell and the sheer class of Scott, give us a chance to get out and give Man City problems. 

I might be off my nut, but I would also be tempted to play JD left full back and Pring left forward. Print is comfortable going forward but also we would have a defensive balance that side.

Can’t see him starting Bell personally , think he will go Weinmann, Sykes and Wells as top three. We’re going to have to sit deep at times and Sykes and Tanner have a good understanding on the right, and he’ll go for Weinmann’s experience over Bell on the left. Think we’ll spend a lot of the game as a 4-5-1 but would like to see us start fast and aggressive, like others have said a lot of travelling for Man City this week.

3 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Apart from scoring more goals over 90 - 120 minutes, or the winning penalty in a shoot-out, what are our tactics against one of the world's best teams?

Press, press, and press again? 

Pray, pray and pray again?

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Get the team to sit through highlights of us v Man u and City  in the recent cup run and show them we have a chance against them.

I think that would just highlight how few of our current team would get into the one riding high in the Championship in Jan 2018. 

That team was playing football from another planet compared to this one. When all is done and dusted, I suspect our results in 2023 against Man City, compared to those in 2018, will only tell us what we already know - it's been 5 years of decline.

Nor can we let the effort we put into this cup tie affect our league form in the way it did in 2018. Ordinarily, a glamour home tie, live on the telly, in the 5th round of the FA Cup, is something to be savoured but this season it feels to me like an unnecessary distraction from the vital business at hand. 

And imagine this - Kalvin Phillips strolls through the game with Alex Scott in his back pocket - suggesting our wonderkid ain't all that, sending his value plummeting and thus reducing our summer transfer plans to tatters!

I now await comrade @REDOXO's reply - "That's the spirit!"

So perhaps it will be Alex Scott keeping Kalvin Phillips in his back pocket as he leads the home team to a famous victory.

That's the spirit!  

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

27 minutes ago, daored said:

Can’t see him starting Bell personally , think he will go Weinmann, Sykes and Wells as top three. We’re going to have to sit deep at times and Sykes and Tanner have a good understanding on the right, and he’ll go for Weinmann’s experience over Bell on the left. Think we’ll spend a lot of the game as a 4-5-1 but would like to see us start fast and aggressive, like others have said a lot of travelling for Man City this week.

You're probably right. That was my own preference not my prediction!

Wells has made me look daft before and I hope he does again, because... I just don't see what kind of threat Wells poses Man City. He's not quick enough to harm them on the break, and he's not going to score a worldie. His best attribute in my opinion is link up play, which will help us get the ball in the right areas, but often he'll be isolated and bullied, or won't have options to link up with. 

I think we need pace. Fascinated to know what Nige goes with.