IGNORED

What tactics should we employ to beat Manchester City?

Curr Avon

1 minute ago, mozo said:

You're probably right. That was my own preference not my prediction!

Wells has made me look daft before and I hope he does again, because... I just don't see what kind of threat Wells poses Man City. He's not quick enough to harm them on the break, and he's not going to score a worldie. His best attribute in my opinion is link up play, which will help us get the ball in the right areas, but often he'll be isolated and bullied, or won't have options to link up with. 

I think we need pace. Fascinated to know what Nige goes with.

I agree with you pace is our best option, and second guessing Nige isn’t always easy - who would have thought Bell would have started on Saturday! Tomorrows team selection may give an indication, although would certainly expect the two new lads to start 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, daored said:

I agree with you pace is our best option, and second guessing Nige isn’t always easy - who would have thought Bell would have started on Saturday! Tomorrows team selection may give an indication, although would certainly expect the two new lads to start 

Just as an aside, pretty sure the two new lads are both cup tied.

• Thanks 1

We must get them out of their comfort zone.

The high press would probably only work for 30 minutes or so, I would go for a line of press at half way, but a high energy press at that, we must disrupt their rhythm.

I would say lots and lots of nice things about them in the media, be extra nice on the day, make them feel that we have no chance, be humble, give them a false sense of security, feel relaxed. But at ko have the players ready to be nasty and aggressive as soon as the game starts. Ball boys, crowd, everyone will need to play their part.

Bell could be a secret weapon, he has something that could be a differentiator with his pace. So, sit back, fight at the half way line and have Scott find the magic pass for Bell to run onto.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Pray, pray and pray again?

I think that would just highlight how few of our current team would get into the one riding high in the Championship in Jan 2018. 

That team was playing football from another planet compared to this one. When all is done and dusted, I suspect our results in 2023 against Man City, compared to those in 2018, will only tell us what we already know - it's been 5 years of decline.

Nor can we let the effort we put into this cup tie affect our league form in the way it did in 2018. Ordinarily, a glamour home tie, live on the telly, in the 5th round of the FA Cup, is something to be savoured but this season it feels to me like an unnecessary distraction from the vital business at hand. 

And imagine this - Kalvin Phillips strolls through the game with Alex Scott in his back pocket - suggesting our wonderkid ain't all that, sending his value plummeting and thus reducing our summer transfer plans to tatters!

I now await comrade @REDOXO's reply - "That's the spirit!"

So perhaps it will be Alex Scott keeping Kalvin Phillips in his back pocket as he leads the home team to a famous victory.

That's the spirit!  

I now await comrade @REDOXO's reply - "That's the spirit!" 

So perhaps it will be Alex Scott keeping Kalvin Phillips in his back pocket as he leads the home team to a famous victory.

That's the spirit!   
—————

If we do get a result you are credited with the assist!

In my opinion we will need a little luck and a team that plays counter attacking football which we do!

I would absolutely start Wells and Bell if fit. Sykes is a shoe ? in and Williams Scott and James if fit. 

The back four and goalkeeper pick themselves and I particularly expect Kalas is right up for it. 

Bell is as fast as anything in any division, so I expect Walker to have a torrid night and Scott up against DeBruyne and or Grealish will be fun. However I think Cam Pring could have a huge influence on the game. 

4 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Apart from scoring more goals over 90 - 120 minutes, or the winning penalty in a shoot-out, what are our tactics against one of the world's best teams?

Press, press, and press again? 

Sit in, and hope for the best?

Kick them off the pitch and hope that the officials lose the power of sight?

Apart from strategic use of a 12 bore from a grassy Knowle West,, haven't a clue !

Edited by slartibartfast
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

I would also add the Mehmeti might offer something different. Prem defences are used to defending a passing game in front if them. Get Mehmeti into a position where he can get to the by line and pull it back.

Against Hull maybe! Is he not cup tied!? Looking at the stats he played for 26 minutes against Walsall in the first round (lost)

Edited by REDOXO

Iv not been impressed by Man City recently, and they don’t seem to score as many goals as they did earlier in the season. Pep still can’t work out his favoured formation/players and that’s let Arsenal and Man U in this season. You only have to see with teams like Forest that with some hard work, patience and lots of luck you can get a result. 

Realistically I don’t think we can compete as defensively we don’t have many options, but if we can give them a good game generally il come out happy 

39 minutes ago, brad blit said:

Realistically I don’t think we can compete as defensively we don’t have many options, but if we can give them a good game generally il come out happy 

The one advantage we do have is being at home , so like Man United last night turn off the music 30 minutes before kick-off.

Ashton Gate at its best can be pretty intimidating 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Apart from scoring more goals over 90 - 120 minutes, or the winning penalty in a shoot-out, what are our tactics against one of the world's best teams?

Release a new kit?

Ha, yea, right. If only. Then we’d have a chance.

I've watched a lot of Man City and generally they struggle against teams that play like we do. So we don't really need to change too much. 

We need to be clever with the press as we will just use our energy up. Need to save that energy for the counters which is what Man City struggle with. 

We need a hostile atmosphere and we need to not show them any respect and just get at them. Man City struggle with those things. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Can't suggest any tactics to beat Man City.

All I know is that if we manage to win, it will be absolute bedlam.

Should an over-exuberant Pearson opt to swing a ball-boy around like Johnson did, and lose grip, that poor kid will fly far.

Right into kalas I expect ruling him out for the rest of the season 

7 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

We’re a counter attacking side & they’ll have most of the ball . Won’t have many chances but when we do we have to take them. 

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

We should to direct their coach off at Stroud and get them to take the A46 and then try to get through the Bath Rd*. They will be so late we will be 4-0 up by the time they get on the pitch.

Alternatively, we should at least turn up and get the players to constantly remind them they have a tough game against Newcastle coming up at the weekend 

*Yes, I am aware they will probably fly to Bristol Airport.

Who is going to take the restart kick off when we score the first?

13 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I think it’s important to try and cut off the legs , sorry , supply to Haaland. 
We shouldn’t be in awe of them cause they’re just another bunch of lads kicking a ball around a field. 
Attack. 

Haaland v Vyner? Pah, nothing to worry about...