IGNORED

Problems up front??

Harry

This lack of goals recently has also affected Wells. Remember before the 2 penalties he hadn’t scored a goal for 8 matches. With the exception of our recent run playing 4-3-3, our better runs up front since Nige has been in charge have been with 2 upfront and Weimann, playing in behind, whether the 2 were Martin and Semenyo or Wells and Conway. 

Just playing one through the middle upfront can be hard for that player, especially if the team doesn’t play to the player’s strengths. Some play better with their back to goal providing hold up play for others to run through e.g. Martin, while others benefit from through balls past the defender to chase e.g. Wells. Ask each to do the opposite and you won’t get the best from them. Whatever way that role is played, it needs some upper body strength and that’s where Sam Bell is currently lacking.

As for wide players in a front 3, they also need to act as an additional player in the middle when the ball is coming in from the other wing. That’s exactly what happened for Sykes against Birmingham. Plus I have some sympathy for Mehmeti. He could easily already have 2 goals for us. He was unlucky not to score at Sunderland with the shot that the keeper pushed into the post, and again yesterday against Cardiff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

This lack of goals recently has also affected Wells. Remember before the 2 penalties he hadn’t scored a goal for 8 matches. With the exception of our recent run playing 4-3-3, our better runs up front since Nige has been in charge have been with 2 upfront and Weimann, playing in behind, whether the 2 were Martin and Semenyo or Wells and Conway. 

Just playing one through the middle upfront can be hard for that player, especially if the team doesn’t play to the player’s strengths. Some play better with their back to goal providing hold up play for others to run through e.g. Martin, while others benefit from through balls past the defender to chase e.g. Wells. Ask each to do the opposite and you won’t get the best from them. Whatever way that role is played, it needs some upper body strength and that’s where Sam Bell is currently lacking.

As for wide players in a front 3, they also need to act as an additional player in the middle when the ball is coming in from the other wing. That’s exactly what happened for Sykes against Birmingham. Plus I have some sympathy for Mehmeti. He could easily already have 2 goals for us. He was unlucky not to score at Sunderland with the shot that the keeper pushed into the post, and again yesterday against Cardiff.

And this is exactly why I debated when others say we had players to play 433 all season and should’ve switched earlier.  We did and didn’t, for many reasons.  Semenyo’s return (to form) coupled with Conway’s injury, Naismith into midfield, coupled with the growing confidence of Vyner and Atkinson, etc, etc.  Lots of little nuances and dependencies.

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And this is exactly why I debated when others say we had players to play 433 all season and should’ve switched earlier.  We did and didn’t, for many reasons.  Semenyo’s return (to form) coupled with Conway’s injury, Naismith into midfield, coupled with the growing confidence of Vyner and Atkinson, etc, etc.  Lots of little nuances and dependencies.

My fumblings on Transfermarkt may have this wrong but I make it:

Naismith plays: 20 games, 32 goals

Naismith doesn’t play: 14 games, 11 goals (inc 2 penalties)

Not necessarily causal, but I’d have a suspicion that it’s a least a bit causal. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Not necessarily causal, but I’d have a suspicion that it’s a least a bit causal. 

Yep, we definitely have a small group of crucial players, who’s influence is key.

2 hours ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

That doesn't surprise me. However, I'd wager we concede more goals when he plays too. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

@wendyredredrobin

Not sure why you deemed my post to be ‘sad’. 
I actually started this thread as a bit of a joke, but it’s now turned into more of a slightly concerning observation. 
Not sure why that’s ‘sad’? 

i’d be more concerned if we were not creating chances but we are, we should have had a minimum of 2 but probably 3 goals tonight 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

@wendyredredrobin

I actually started this thread as a bit of a joke, but it’s now turned into more of a slightly concerning observation. 

Sad situation with the stats in your post? That is how I would see it anyway. Rather than a "you're sad" type of reaction.

We created enough tonight to score a few, and I honestly reckon if the first went in we'd have won by 3 at a canter. I'd be more worried if we weren't creating anything.

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

@wendyredredrobin

Sorry mate couldn't resist ?.

I said in the match day thread that I dont think throwing Cornick and Annis on together at the same time helps. But then what do I know ?.

• Thanks 1

I have not commented on this thread and having read through the entire thread, I am unable to find a comment even purporting to be from me.  4 of you have been offended by something, but the first I even knew of this thread was a notification.

Either someone has said something under my user name and it has been deleted or something odd is going on.

Can anyone clarify, what I am supposed to have said?

Edited by wendyredredrobin

We have an enraging habit of our defence and our attack rarely both being good. If we’re finishing our chances we’re leaky. The goals dry up and we tighten up. Is it a play-style thing? Are we playing a more defensive system of late? Or mentality maybe, we do look most vulnerable when we lead. 

Their keeper made several good saves, especially in that first half, tonight. While the goals from open play are a concern, at least we’re showing intent and creating chances.

I always look back to the dark days under Holden, when we weren’t having a single shot on goal let alone target, for reference.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Harry said:

@wendyredredrobin

Think Nakki misses conway that's why goals have dried up same at Sunderland lost their top scorer along with sims going back to Everton .

7 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I have not commented on this thread and having read through the entire thread, I am unable to find a comment even purporting to be from me.  4 of you have been offended by something, but the first I even knew of this thread was a notification.

Either someone has said something under my user name and it has been deleted or something odd is going on.

Can anyone clarify, what I am supposed to have said?

You put a crying face emoji on one of his posts, probably by accident but i took it as its sad that we haven't scored in over 5 games!

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

We have an enraging habit of our defence and our attack rarely both being good. If we’re finishing our chances we’re leaky. The goals dry up and we tighten up. Is it a play-style thing? Are we playing a more defensive system of late? Or mentality maybe, we do look most vulnerable when we lead. 

If we had a habit of having both areas good we would be top 6 I guess!

4 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

If we had a habit of having both areas good we would be top 6 I guess!

Yea it’s a bit of a simplification I realise ? for the record a point tonight is just fine with me. A patched up team against a Neil team - no mean feat. 

Edited by BCFCGav
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

You put a crying face emoji on one of his posts, probably by accident but i took it as its sad that we haven't scored in over 5 games!

You are correct.  Not me though as I have not been on the forum all day.

My apologies to Harry, who I find to be a sensible poster who I have never had any reason to give a sad emoji too.  In fact I hardly ever use that emoji.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I am interested to see if Pearson deems Wells, Conway, Cornick and Bell as a strikeforce to take...

Do we turn Cornick into a 9? 

Does Pearson rate Wells as more than a fringe player for next season?

Can Conway pick back up his early season form?

Can Bell add goals to his pace and energy?

Or does Nige go out and sign a spearhead for our attack?

Tune in next season to find out...

48 minutes ago, Harry said:

@wendyredredrobin

Because it is sad? Not sure the point your making - it’s not a good stat so crying face is the right emoji to use