IGNORED

Kalas

joshbristol

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

He's looked imperious since he's come back, I thought a new contract was a no-Brainer. This sort of flags up why there is a question mark against it. Even reduced wages , and that would still leave him at the higher end of our wage bill, can we afford to risk it ?
I really like him, and if we weren't haemorrhaging money maybe we could work something out. I know anyone can get injured but I have a feeling this could be the last straw.

You mean like Nahki - but at least he stays fit!

4 minutes ago, headhunter said:

You mean like Nahki - but at least he stays fit!

Yep, can't recall a game Nahki missed through injury. A regularly fit Kalas easily gets a contract, one with doubts over availability doesn't, after a long spell out.

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, Wickham made a back by not jumping & he went over him.

Not sure what he’s supposed to do there, fail to challenge?

Hope for his sake & ours he’s back soon.

I don’t buy this making a back business.  Kalas has a track record of jumping early and high over the back of a defender.  How many times has he done this and hurt himself?  Wickham just stood his ground as far as I could see

1 hour ago, redkev said:

Please explain why it’s a ridiculous post , at least explain your statement , I explained mine , 

thank you 

Any player can get injured at any time. An awful lot of injuries are just unlucky. Rob Atkinson for example, are you saying we should not have bought him?

Williams has been fit now for sometime, Kalas just coming back from injury having played season after season without injury for us and others. 

Let's hope their injuries are not too bad, yes?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Any player can get injured at any time. An awful lot of injuries are just unlucky. Rob Atkinson for example, are you saying we should not have bought him?

Williams has been fit now for sometime, Kalas just coming back from injury having played season after season without injury for us and others. 

I would hardly say kalas has played season after season and as for Williams he has been fit for a while but mainly because we have wrapped him in cotton wall , if you are gonna operate with a small squad players staying fit is a must .

don’t get me wrong both players when fit are very good championship players 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

This year William's has probably been available more than most of the squad no?

Cant think of too many matchday squads as he has been left out of

Up until yesterday he’d been in all bar one of them in the league, he only wasn’t for Birmingham away, but might have been suspended?

Whatever, 33/34 isn’t exactly injury prone, especially when based on his first year with us, is it?

Edited by GrahamC

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Up until yesterday he’d been in all bar one of them in the league, he only wasn’t for Birmingham away, but might have been suspended?

Whatever, 33/34 isn’t exactly injury prone, especially when based on his first year with us, is it?

Yep, 5 yellow card suspension…the only league squad he hasn’t been in.

I think Kalas has been great for us but this injury I fear may be the end of him with us, I mean he had a very long injury, we needed him for, shit happens but coming back and getting injured so quickly when we desperately need fit quality CB's. I mean it's really unlucky but at what point do you say "he'll never been consistently fit again" and get rid? I'm not saying it's now but the issue is with his contract coming to an end I think to offer him anything more than a 1 year contract would be risky if he can't stay fit, and I say that with a heavy heart because when he's fit and in form he's unreal, but I've not seen that Kalas for so long that I'm starting to wonder if he's worth paying for anymore, especially when we don't have the luxury of depth in the squad. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

I wouldn't say Kalas has played season after season plus Kalas had been carrying an injury for sometime before Pearson entered the building.

Unfortunately I don't see Kalas completing a season injury free.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GrahamC said:

You’re spot on.

Williams’ record in terms of league games in the 3 seasons prior to joining us was;

17/18 Barnsley, 34 games (he was booked 10 times, sent off once that season, so obviously why he missed the others).

18/19 Bolton, 30 games (7 bookings, so another suspension).

19/20 Wigan 38 games (14 yellows, 1 red!)

Ralls was responsible for his injuries, he was pretty much always available when he was not suspended before this.

Thanks. Some impressive availability there then. In the 2/3-80 pct ratio...in fact he joined one of them a bit later.

What exactly happened with that- the Ralls input. Williams did strike me as a fairly robust player, when fit even more so but availability wise the numbers speak for themselves at his 3 prior clubs.

I think the worry is that - even if Kalas’ injury is an unfortunate incident unrelated to his previous injuries - a serious injury will erode the time he needs to prove his fitness after his previous problems.

Kalas is a quality defender but, if he is out for the bulk of the remainder of the season, it will be massively difficult to justify a new contract.

1 hour ago, leadman said:

And almost certainly  played his last game.... its a shame

Agreed - sadly, think that yesterday could well be the last time we see him in a City shirt.

On his day, a brilliant player at this level but the last 12 months have been a nightmare for him in terms of his availability.

I guess a lot depends on how keen he is to stay vs what City may be prepared to pay him. A deal similar to Baker/Weimann and he may well stay but if he wants closer to his current contract terms, he will be off…..

Be interesting to see the prognosis of his latest injury……? it’s not as bad as Nige suggested it could be….

2 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Agreed - sadly, think that yesterday could well be the last time we see him in a City shirt.

On his day, a brilliant player at this level but the last 12 months have been a nightmare for him in terms of his availability.

I guess a lot depends on how keen he is to stay vs what City may be prepared to pay him. A deal similar to Baker/Weimann and he may well stay but if he wants closer to his current contract terms, he will be off…..

Be interesting to see the prognosis of his latest injury……? it’s not as bad as Nige suggested it could be….

Kalas’s latest injury, if as bad as Nige suggested, could not come at a worse time for him or us.

If he is going to leave he would want to be in the shop window and also prove his fitness, and given how short we are at CB he would be selected if fit. If he wants to stay, albeit on reduced terms, he does need to prove his fitness.

I would like him to stay but only if he is going to be able to contribute, big couple of months coming up for him and us. 

• Robin 1

1 minute ago, Percy Pig said:

Back on the grass earlier than many thought, could yet see him again in a City shirt.

Logic says that we don’t offer him anything but I just have a feeling that Pearson rates him & that if he’s willing to take a big pay cut it’s not yet a definite no.

Could be wrong but he’s currently the only one out of contract this summer that I’m not sure which way it will go.

• Like 1

I’m in the minority but I’d renew. Risky for sure but if he’s settled and we can agree to reduced terms - he’s a top 6 Championship centre-half. A sprinkle of luck (ha) and we keep him fit - he’ll be massive for us in a promotion hunt.

Great player, but given his recent history of spending considerably more time on the treatment table than being available for selection, I would be very surprised if we were to offer him anything going forward. 
Perhaps there maybe clubs with parachute payments who could take such a risk, but given the much more fragile financial climate for the rest of the clubs, it would be an incredibly brave analyst that would recommend their club investing the money in him  

• Like 1

Options are ;

Pay as you play, he would be mad to do this IMO. Far too good and far too risky for him, though I doubt he needs the money.

Reduced terms , this is still a big risk to us purely due to his recent injury record. Doesn't matter how good a player is, he contributes nothing from a sick bed. 

If we let him go , that leaves £20k a week in wages. That's probably 3 players on Pearsons Radar. Sadly , as I like him as a player, I think this is the way we will go. I don't think we are in the position to risk it, allowing for injury record ( general and Kalas ) and financial record. 
Having cut costs so drastically , I think we will always be going down the safe route , at least for a while.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I imagine that the club will have a whole lot more knowledge than any of us on here about the nature of his injuries, their long term impact and a view on the likelihood of a recurrence. And that will play a big part in any decision. 

Totally & I get on the surface it doesn’t seem a great example but I keep coming back to NP offering Baker another contract after a season when he had only played 2 or 3 games.

That didn’t work out for completely unrelated reasons but in both cases they were a “type” of centre half that Pearson likes (in Nathan’s case it was pretty obvious why) & so I don’t think it’s the open & shut case it might appear, especially if he returns by the Stoke game & stays fit.

”Pay as you play”, absolutely no chance..

• Like 3