IGNORED

Kalas

joshbristol

The thing is that to be comfortable, irrespective of Kalas staying or going we will need another CB.

I know that Tanner, Naismith more than others, Pring, and King can all slot in but we lost Baker and Klose without truly replacing them, add Kalas to that and suddenly it's Vyner, Atkinson and some of the above as and when.

If the price is right, if his fitness is sustained this time a must keep IMO.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tin said:

Yep, I’ve been saying that for a while. Kalas is our best defender and I’d like to think conversations are under way on a new deal.

That said, he’s at an age where his next contract should be his biggest, and I doubt we can compete with that.  

It’s a fair comment but the landscape has changed hugely regarding wages. 

He is certainly going to struggle to get anything close to what we reportedly pay him now, certainly not in this division, unless it’s a PP club, and I can’t see that happening.

I suspect he would have to move abroad to maximize his salary e.g. Middle East.

I truly hope he stays, always rated him and his commitment. 

Edited by ScottishRed
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

It’s a fair comment but the landscape has changed hugely regarding wages. 

He is certainly going to struggle to get anything close to what we reportedly pay him now, certainly not in this division, unless it’s a PP club, and I can’t see that happening.

I suspect he would have to move abroad to maximize his salary e.g. Middle East.

I truly hope he stays, always rated him and his commitment. 

That’s the problem, though. I could easily see him getting a pay rise at a Fulham, Brighton, Brentford etc or in the Middle East. We shall see, but I’m with you in saying I’ve always rated him and hope he stays.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tin said:

That’s the problem, though. I could easily see him getting a pay rise at a Fulham, Brighton, Brentford etc or in the Middle East. We shall see, but I’m with you in saying I’ve always rated him and hope he stays.  

I am certain that the three clubs you mentioned could offer a significant pay rise but I doubt he would be of interest to any of them who are all on the up and will be shopping in a different store!

If he were to stay in England his market may be existing Championship sides that have PP’s. Even then I would imagine he would be looking at lower wages, if there was an interest, but they could offer more than we can.

2 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Always injured.

Will be interesting to see how his contract situation pans out because he won’t be offered much elsewhere if he’s out for a while again now.

We can’t keep relying on Williams or Kalas for a whole season,kalas will be gone and with the Scott money incoming make sure Williams is a squad player and not a starter week in week out 

• Like 2

Just now, Northern Red said:

Was he not concussed?

I appreciate that doesn't suit the narrative though.

Yep, Wickham made a back by not jumping & he went over him.

Not sure what he’s supposed to do there, fail to challenge?

Hope for his sake & ours he’s back soon.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

We can’t keep relying on Williams or Kalas for a whole season,kalas will be gone and with the Scott money incoming make sure Williams is a squad player and not a starter week in week out 

Agreed we can't keep relying on these players to stay fit especially if we want promotion next season. 

He's looked imperious since he's come back, I thought a new contract was a no-Brainer. This sort of flags up why there is a question mark against it. Even reduced wages , and that would still leave him at the higher end of our wage bill, can we afford to risk it ?
I really like him, and if we weren't haemorrhaging money maybe we could work something out. I know anyone can get injured but I have a feeling this could be the last straw.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

He's looked imperious since he's come back, I thought a new contract was a no-Brainer. This sort of flags up why there is a question mark against it. Even reduced wages , and that would still leave him at the higher end of our wage bill, can we afford to risk it ?
I really like him, and if we weren't haemorrhaging money maybe we could work something out. I know anyone can get injured but I have a feeling this could be the last straw.

He can’t stay fit and probably won’t,obviously don’t know his wages but what’s he played about 5 games this season and he will be a top earner,harsh but no sentimental feelings in football so get rid 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

He can’t stay fit and probably won’t,obviously don’t know his wages but what’s he played about 5 games this season and he will be a top earner,harsh but no sentimental feelings in football so get rid 

Sadly starting to agree. 
When he came back and really looked classy, I was trying to weigh up the money. The cost of replacing anywhere near a similar standard Vs his wages. I think the fact he's lasted a couple of games weighs heavily against him. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Think today confirms why he shouldn’t re sign, even if it’s at probably 20% of his current wage. Won’t be able to rely on him to be fit. Real shame for him

Exactly this and you could put Williams in this bracket too unfortunately. It's a massive shame because on their day, both quality players, but if you can't rely on them to be fit for a majority of the season then the wages are better going elsewhere

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Exactly this and you could put Williams in this bracket too unfortunately. It's a massive shame because on their day, both quality players, but if you can't rely on them to be fit for a majority of the season then the wages are better going elsewhere

Williams was arguably broken by us tbh.

His availability record at 3 yes 3 different clubs prior to joining was strong! Few suspensions in that period probably but fairly sure it was reasonable to decent at Barnsley, Bolton, Wigan.

• Like 2

Today is why Nige has sensibly not offered him a contract.  Nobody doubts Tomas is class on his day, but he’s come back from almost a year out.  Tomas himself knows that.

It might be minor, but I can imagine there’ll be no contract offer til May, if at all.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Williams was arguably broken by us tbh.

His availability record at 3 yes 3 different clubs prior to joining was strong! Few suspensions in that period probably but fairly sure it was reasonable to decent at Barnsley, Bolton, Wigan.

You’re spot on.

Williams’ record in terms of league games in the 3 seasons prior to joining us was;

17/18 Barnsley, 34 games (he was booked 10 times, sent off once that season, so obviously why he missed the others).

18/19 Bolton, 30 games (7 bookings, so another suspension).

19/20 Wigan 38 games (14 yellows, 1 red!)

Ralls was responsible for his injuries, he was pretty much always available when he was not suspended before this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cardy said:

Always injured.

Will be interesting to see how his contract situation pans out because he won’t be offered much elsewhere if he’s out for a while again now.

But he's not is he? 

Missed a large chunk because of one injury, came back too early, and was off again. 

Now if you'd have said he's been injured for a lot of the past 2 seasons, then fair enough.

Due to the sort of defender he is, there is always going to be the possibility that he will pick up knocks and injuries. 

With the exception of 19/20 season, this player that is always injured, manages at least 36 games a season. 

Hardly always injured then.

Will he be offered a contract if this is a bad injury, and can't come back to prove he's over it before his contract is up? Possibly not, but if he's not then it won't be because he's "always injured".

Screenshot_20230304_174143_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Taz said:

But he's not is he? 

Missed a large chunk because of one injury, came back too early, and was off again. 

Now if you'd have said he's been injured for a lot of the past 2 seasons, then fair enough.

Due to the sort of defender he is, there is always going to be the possibility that he will pick up knocks and injuries. 

With the exception of 19/20 season, this player that is always injured, manages at least 36 games a season. 

Hardly always injured then.

Will he be offered a contract if this is a bad injury, and can't come back to prove he's over it before his contract is up? Possibly not, but if he's not then it won't be because he's "always injured".

Screenshot_20230304_174143_Samsung Internet.jpg

There’s always someone to spoil an argument with facts. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Cardy said:

Always injured.

Get rid of him & Williams , you don’t win games with injury prone players 

• Like 1