IGNORED

Seventh Heaven

maxjak

9 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

This has got to be the single worst argument I've ever seen and I post on OTIB and have had a twitter account.

Good going that. 

Success begats success and should City enjoy prolonged time in the top flight, our shirts would be on sale in Sports Direct for "glory hunters" elsewhere and being exported by the tonne to China, Indonesia, Thailand, the US etc.

It's not an attitude I understand, but I'm coming from a different place than many fans. My family's solid City, my roots are entirely local and our bond to the club is deeper than just as fans.

But I look at a schoolmate of mine: dad from Cornwall, mum from Scotland, grew up in Somerset, 25 miles south of Bristol. Decided in his youth he was an Arsenal fan. But he lives in Leicester and has done for years, so once they get successful, he suddenly "follows the Foxes" and was all full of it in their title-winning year. Dunno if he's now re-finding his love of Arsenal. :laughcont:

Some people are like that and just float about between clubs. Others pick clubs they have no geographical or family ties to: I remember ribbing a colleague from Hertfordshire who became a Southampton fan in 1976, when they won the FA Cup. "If I was hunting glory, do you really think I'd have picked Southampton!" was his retort, and fair point, he's stuck with them through thick and thin, unlike the Fox/Gooner hybrid I mentioned earlier.

Both the guys I mention watch more football than me, read about football more than me, probably know more about lots of aspects of the game than me. 

So, who is the "real" fan?  I have to agree with the thrust of your earlier argument that it does, indeed, take all sorts.

The idea of just choosing a club from somewhere you have little connection to, based on their current success, seems alien to me, but not everyone is as rooted to their local side as I am. AFAIC whatever your reason for choosing City, we welcome your support. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

34 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Back to the match itself from a neutral perspective I agree with GN post match in all honesty but he needed to admit Liverpool played very well for the first 30 mins in second half. I actually thought Man Utd edged it with chances in the first half. After 4 or 5 its a capitulation and the last couple of goals they conceded were embarrasing. Fernandez attitude was embarrassing also.

Also not sure what point Souness and Carragher were trying to make on Man Utd. They have had a really good upturn in performances and they mention the last 2 or 3 years? 

Personally thought G Nev had lost his head for a few minutes. Must hurt seeing his team lose 7-0 to his most despised team though.

I f****** hated their Fergie era 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Personally thought G Nev had lost his head for a few minutes. Must hurt seeing his team lose 7-0 to his most despised team though.

I f****** hated their Fergie era 

Yeah he did but they were being pretty condescending If it wad the other way around the reaction would of been worse. As i said not sure what point they were trying to make he answered tueir questions several times. 

Hes right in saying a 7-0 defeat is a freak result especially so high up the pyramid. That wasn't enough for the pool boys to hear. Man Utd have been doing very well recently, these are all facts. I guess his refusal to give credit to Liverpool set the tone.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Is he not Argentinian? I was going by his surname.

I just looked him up - he’s Portuguese so may as well be a Latino. They have a similar attitude to the beautiful game.

You REALLY need to learn the definition of Latino. I have seen you post similar numerous times, I'm assuming it is borne of ignorance rather than prejudice but it's not a good look.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

You REALLY need to learn the definition of Latino. I have seen you post similar numerous times, I'm assuming it is borne of ignorance rather than prejudice but it's not a good look.

In all fairness there are many different definitions for Latino, some broader than others and some include portugese descent.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Yeah he did but they were being pretty condescending If it wad the other way around the reaction would of been worse. As i said not sure what point they were trying to make he answered tueir questions several times. 

Hes right in saying a 7-0 defeat is a freak result especially so high up the pyramid. That wasn't enough for the pool boys to hear. Man Utd have been doing very well recently, these are all facts. I guess his refusal to give credit to Liverpool set the tone.

I think that was the main reason why Carragher and Souness were in amazement about G Nev's comments. You have to give some credit to the opposition for that scoreline too. Even Keane had a wry smile on his face during the debate. He knew that G Nev was talking through passion rather than with his brain.

Like you said, Man Utd have been excellent for the last 3 or 4 months and it is is a freak result. Couldn't have had a worse performance against a worse club from United's point of view.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

In all fairness there are many different definitions for Latino, some broader than others and some include portugese descent.

Yep Portuguese descent but not people born in Portugal. The issue really is just the "Cheating = Latino" mindset.

Fernandes was absolutely disgraceful mind, just looked and he somehow didn't pick up a yellow yesterday!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redsince1994 said:

Yep Portuguese descent but not people born in Portugal. The issue really is just the "Cheating = Latino" mindset.

Fernandes was absolutely disgraceful mind, just looked and he somehow didn't pick up a yellow yesterday!

Yeah i couldn't believe his attitude and body language. The game really needs to look at retrospective action on players for bringing the game into disrepute. Grabbing his face like that was absolutely pathetic. Id be so embarrassed if that was my player.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

May be an image of 10 people, people playing sport and grass

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Is he not Argentinian? I was going by his surname.

I just looked him up - he’s Portuguese so may as well be a Latino. They have a similar attitude to the beautiful game.

Do you honestly think that being some sort of a football fan we believe you that you had no idea he was Portuguese?

Edited by RedorDead BCFC

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

That kind of ‘street craft’ as the Latino’s call it is just a part of their game. Lots of them behave in a similar fashion. There are numerous examples - the ‘hand of god’, Simeone getting Beckham sent off and grinning about it.. Diving and feigning injury, Neymar exaggerated rolling is another example…….the list in endless.

Simeone is exactly the same as a manager in Spain with Athletico Madrid - cheating bastards.

Or as we call it "cheating".

It's about time they had a post match review system, where incidents like this are reviewed and if a player is then found to have simulated an injury in an attempt to get an opposition player booked or sent off then retrospective punishment can be applied. For goodness sake, they did this to Bailey Wright and he hadn't done anything wrong!

In rugby I think I'm right in saying they have a similar system where a player is cited (sp) to be reviewed subsequently ( rugby lads/lasses can clarify this).

The problem is that while players continue to get away with this sort of thing, and think that it might give them an advantage, then they will keep doing it. A few 3 match bans given retrospectively might cause a change in attitude.

The cynic in me thinks that nothing will change, but that players like Bailey Wright, at clubs like ours, will get punished while the premier league superstars will  continue, because they are excused as  " it's street craft', part of their game" or "part of their footbal culture" .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Do you honestly think that being some sort of a football fan we believe you that you had no idea he was Portuguese?

In fairness, Fernandez was born in Portugal, plays for Portugal, speaks Portuguese and has a Portuguese wife, so you can see why it might be difficult for Robbored  to determine that he is, in fact, Portuguese!

That, and that it's not on the OS, of course!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

In fairness, Fernandez was born in Portugal, plays for Portugal, speaks Portuguese and has a Portuguese wife, so you can see why it might be difficult for Robbored  to determine that he is, in fact, Portuguese!

That, and that it's not on the OS, of course!!!

He's "Fernandes" and generally speaking that's one way to tell the two Iberian states apart: Spanish surnames that end in -ez end in -es in Portuguese.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

He's "Fernandes" and generally speaking that's one way to tell the two Iberian states apart: Spanish surnames that end in -ez end in -es in Portuguese.

Even less reason to be confused then! :whistle:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

Latino - a person of South American descent. 

Brazil are only S.American country that speak Portuguese. All the others speak Spanish.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I take zero interest in Man Utd. In fact I wasn’t aware that Fernandez was captain so why would I know where his was from?…………..:dunno:

Having watched his antics of feigning injury, pushing the linesman and trying to get opponents sent off smacked of typical Latino behaviour.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I take zero interest in Man Utd. In fact I wasn’t aware that Fernandez was captain so why would I know where his was from?…………..:dunno:

Having watched his antics of feigning injury, pushing the linesman and trying to get opponents sent off smacked of typical Latino behaviour.

Didn't you see him in the World Cup?

• Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Ok I take back the assumption that this was just ignorance, you're a racist ?‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Haha 1