IGNORED

Seventh Heaven

maxjak

1 minute ago, RedLionLad said:

…and not forgetting Man Utd’s ‘Istanbul’ chants towards Leeds fans……with the cut-throat gestures.

I love the sport, but there's no denying some football fans are the biggest arseholes you'd (never) care to meet.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Didn't happen in 1958. There were no motorways for one thing and I doubt football crowds back then would be so c-nty.

Now, you get Hillsborough chants from Man U and Munich chants from Liverpool.  Both as unpleasant as each other.  Thank f-, City abandoned the frankly revolting Aberfan stuff you heard ages ago.

Maybe not motorways but major roads possibly?

Football crowds are definitely nasty through the ages. We are probably the nicest generation in football history. 
the 70s were the worst - our parents/grandparents - shameful. 

Just now, bcfcredandwhite said:

Maybe not motorways but major roads possibly?

Football crowds are definitely nasty through the ages. We are probably the nicest generation in football history. 
the 70s were the worst - our parents/grandparents - shameful. 

Doubt it in the 50s, when - for example - Bristolians often went to City and Rovers games on consecutive weekends.  Nowadays only @Robboreddoes that! ?

But you're right. The 70s is when the real needle crept into football rivalries. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

That certainly wouldn’t have helped matters.

The War of the Roses is where it all stems from.

The war of the roses was Yorkshire vs Lancashire right? Both clubs are part of Lancashire… not saying you’re wrong, just confused!

Anyway, how I laughed. After their Carling Cup win last week, all the plastic “Man Yoo” fans from my social media, most of whom I went to school with were out in force after several years of deafening silence. Back into their holes they go. :D

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I’ve been told (and I’m open to being corrected) that the reason Man U and Liverpool hate each other is nothing to do with being local rivals, nor religion or politics - apparently it was after the Munich air disaster when many of the ‘Busby Babes’ tragically lost their lives, Liverpool fans draped piss-taking banners mocking the tragedy from motorway bridges around the area. 
Man U fans have (understandably) never forgiven them for this and the hatred has grown. 
Like I said - I’m open to being corrected on this, but this is my understanding from what I’ve been told. 

I am certain Liverpool offered Man Utd a load of players after the Munich air disaster? So i'm not sure that is particularly correct.

There has always been a long standing rivalry between the two Cities. Liverpudlians did not like the fact Manchester had built a ship canal during the industrial revolution which effected the City's trade massively. 

In terms of Football, there has always been a rivalry due to the fact both clubs are easily the biggest two clubs in England, but it probably wasn't until Fergie took over United that they turned their attentions away from Manchester City and to Liverpool as they were winning everything during the 70s and 80s. 

Funnily enough the weird thing about both clubs is they have much more in common than they would ever like to admit, and glory hunters/Media love in aside it is a fascinating rivalry.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Doubt it in the 50s, when - for example - Bristolians often went to City and Rovers games on consecutive weekends.  Nowadays only @Robboreddoes that! ?

But you're right. The 70s is when the real needle crept into football rivalries. 

When he remembers to buy a ticket ?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Wanderingred said:

The war of the roses was Yorkshire vs Lancashire right? Both clubs are part of Lancashire… not saying you’re wrong, just confused!

Anyway, how I laughed. After their Carling Cup win last week, all the plastic “Man Yoo” fans from my social media, most of whom I went to school with were out in force after several years of deafening silence. Back into their holes they go. :D

Yeah, Man Utd v Leeds stems from the Roses War. Liverpool were Man Utd’s biggest and most successful rivals.

5 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I am certain Liverpool offered Man Utd a load of players after the Munich air disaster? So i'm not sure that is particularly correct.

There has always been a long standing rivalry between the two Cities. Liverpudlians did not like the fact Manchester had built a ship canal during the industrial revolution which effected the City's trade massively. 

In terms of Football, there has always been a rivalry due to the fact both clubs are easily the biggest two clubs in England, but it probably wasn't until Fergie took over United that they turned their attentions away from Manchester City and to Liverpool as they were winning everything during the 70s and 80s. 

Funnily enough the weird thing about both clubs is they have much more in common than they would ever like to admit, and glory hunters/Media love in aside it is a fascinating rivalry.

You may be right 

I’m open to correction 

11 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Ffs how did we get caught up in all that? We’re Somerset (and Wiltshire in my case) - why didn’t we let those northerners settle things without us getting dragged into it?!!!

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Ah, so when RR says he's been there, seen that and got the t-shirt, this is the t-shirt he means.....

image.png.77d2e646d5b4de665a1d03ed597c570e.png

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, redkev said:

On today’s performance and attitude I would be stripping Fernandez of the captaincy first thing tomorrow morning and look to get rid end of season , cheat who is always diving , constantly on the refs back , bad attitude now and again has a decent game , get rid 

Yep....... i noticed in the end sequence on MOTD, that he went down clutching his face, after receiving a gentle push in the chest.  He  should know that the camera sees everything these days, he is an embarrassment..... Ha!!

8 hours ago, TheReds said:

I know a few Liverpool fans myself and none have ever been to a single game (I've seen them live once more than them), the same as a couple of Spurs fans who have never been to a single Spurs game between them. None have ever even tried to get on any supporters club/members etc to try and get match tickets either. Very odd.

Plenty of Liverpool ‘fans’ in Bristol that i know haven’t even been to the city of Liverpool let alone stepped inside of Anfield. Absolutely mental.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Plenty of Liverpool ‘fans’ in Bristol that i know haven’t even been to the city of Liverpool let alone stepped inside of Anfield. Absolutely mental.

I’m reading my Facebook Man U and Liverpool friends arguing. I think most of them have never been north of Cheltenham let alone to Manchester or Liverpool. 

7 hours ago, maxjak said:

Yep....... i noticed in the end sequence on MOTD, that he went down clutching his face, after receiving a gentle push in the chest.  He  should know that the camera sees everything these days, he is an embarrassment..... Ha!!

That kind of ‘street craft’ as the Latino’s call it is just a part of their game. Lots of them behave in a similar fashion. There are numerous examples - the ‘hand of god’, Simeone getting Beckham sent off and grinning about it.. Diving and feigning injury, Neymar exaggerated rolling is another example…….the list in endless.

Simeone is exactly the same as a manager in Spain with Athletico Madrid - cheating bastards.

• Hmmm 1

40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That kind of ‘street craft’ as the Latino’s call it is just a part of their game. Lots of them behave in a similar fashion. There are numerous examples - the ‘hand of god’, Simeone getting Beckham sent off and grinning about it.. Diving and feigning injury, Neymar exaggerated rolling is another example…….the list in endless.

Simeone is exactly the same as a manager in Spain with Athletico Madrid - cheating bastards.

Fernandez is European not Latino though? 

13 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Out come the fake scousers of OTIB , boringggggggg

I have been a City supporter for over seventy years. But I also appreciate watching great teams and individual players over the years.

So am I wrong to admire the goal that De Bruyne scored last week? Or to cherish the great international sides like Hungary in 1950's, Brasil with Pele and players. Especially the Man U Busby Babes with so many tragically taken early in Munich.

So for a Premier League team to slaughter a club third in the table by 7-0, I consider that to be a superb achievement.

From a lover of all sports but especially rugby and football.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I have been a City supporter for over seventy years. But I also appreciate watching great teams and individual players over the years.

So am I wrong to admire the goal that De Bruyne scored last week? Or to cherish the great international sides like Hungary in 1950's, Brasil with Pele and players. Especially the Man U Busby Babes with so many tragically taken early in Munich.

So for a Premier League team to slaughter a club third in the table by 7-0, I consider that to be a superb achievement.

From a lover of all sports but especially rugby and football.

No problem

But at least three of the most prolific posters on OTIB are fake scousers.

It's just a bit weird.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Don't think there's a one size fits all approach to football support. Plenty can be passionate and knowledgeable without attending, Plenty can attend and know nothing about the sport (we've got enough of them!!!) 

Agree.

I make no secret that Liverpool is my “other team”.  First game I watched on tv was Liverpool v BMG, before I watched City.  Liverpool played in red, so when dad brought home two big wall-posters, one City, one Rovers, it was the City one that I wanted.  My bruv got the Rovers one, although he did the same as me and followed City because of the red of Liverpool.  He actually isn’t a sports fan, but would take Liverpool over City when they played, unlike me.  My first City game was the 1-0 v Liverpool (Royle).  I like Celtic because Dalglish signed from them.  I like BMG (as my German team) because of that first tv match.

I look out for lots of clubs’ results, silly little reasons.

And I’ve been to Anfield many times.  Not that attending means anything.

I can like football and teams for whatever reasons I like.  Who defined the rules that 1) you could only like 1 team and 2) had to go to their games to qualify. ??‍♂️

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

No problem

But at least three of the most prolific posters on OTIB are fake scousers.

It's just a bit weird.

….and 3) have to be a scouser to like Liverpool.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree.

I make no secret that Liverpool is my “other team”.  First game I watched on tv was Liverpool v BMG, before I watched City.  Liverpool played in red, so when dad brought home two big wall-posters, one City, one Rovers, it was the City one that I wanted.  My bruv got the Rovers one, although he did the same as me and followed City because of the red of Liverpool.  He actually isn’t a sports fan, but would take Liverpool over City when they played, unlike me.  My first City game was the 1-0 v Liverpool (Royle).  I like Celtic because Dalglish signed from them.  I like BMG (as my German team) because of that first tv match.

I can like football and teams for whatever reasons I like.  Who defined the rules that 1) you could only like 1 team and 2) had to go to their games to qualify. ??‍♂️

And therein defines the reason why the sixth biggest city is so pathetic at football

If our most dedicated fans (by number of posts) also support another team what chance do we have of getting floating Bristolians away from the likes of Liverpool/Man Utd?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

And therein defines the reason why the sixth biggest city is so pathetic at football

If our most dedicated fans (by number of posts) also support another team what chance do we have of getting floating Bristolians away from the likes of Liverpool/Man Utd?

I’d hate to think posting a lot on OTIB qualifies me as a “most dedicated” fan, far from it.  Dedicated poster, maybe!  I’m far from being a typical fan, I’m a football fan, yep, sports fan, yep.  I’m not a die-hard.  I don’t think it defines why a big city like us doesn’t have a top flight team at all.  It’s historical.  We missed the boat of having success as football grew post-war, in the 60s and 70s.

That’s when clubs grew huge like Liverpool and Man Utd, even Forest who are no bigger a club than us in reality.  Most continued that into the PL era.  New clubs joined it.  Tottenham and Man Utd both got relegated in the 70s, Man City in the 80s (or was it 90s, maybe both).  Timing is important.

We blew the chance, as you know, in the late 70s.  Had we ridden that relegation, or gone down and came back up, we could’ve sustained top flight football into the PL era.

You need to look elsewhere for your stereotype / typical City fan. ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

My favourite Premier League team is whoever beats one of the "Big Six": if it's Leicester or Brentford or Brighton or whoever.

I think supporting City all your life gives you something of an underdog spirit vis a vis the massive clubs and you always like to see them toppled. 

From within the "Big Six", I probably have the most time for Spurs. I watched them a couple of times in the 80s when I was a student and ironically, it's the fact that they are the least successful (in modern times) of those six (maybe seven now, with Newcastle's Saudi money) makes me more sympathetic to them.

As I come from generation after generation of Bristolians, I have no real "claim" to any club from elsewhere though.

Growing up in the early 70s, playgrounds were full of Somerset "Leeds fans" because "they are the best club".  I never got that attitude. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

My favourite Premier League team is whoever beats one of the "Big Six": if it's Leicester or Brentford or Brighton or whoever.

I think supporting City all your life gives you something of an underdog spirit vis a vis the massive clubs and you always like to see them toppled. 

From within the "Big Six", I probably have the most time for Spurs. I watched them a couple of times in the 80s when I was a student and ironically, it's the fact that they are the least successful (in modern times) of those six (maybe seven now, with Newcastle's Saudi money) makes me more sympathetic to them.

As I come from generation after generation of Bristolians, I have no real "claim" to any club from elsewhere though.

Growing up in the early 70s, playgrounds were full of Somerset "Leeds fans" because "they are the best club".  I never got that attitude. 

Super Bristol,

Super City,

Supercede,

Super Leeds!

As someone said as we moved into the quarter finals. ?

• Robin 1

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree.

How many of us support a team that we adopted from a move in later life?

I would have to support Kettering Town if place of birth was compulsory as a supporting criteria!

• Like 1

Back to the match itself from a neutral perspective I agree with GN post match in all honesty but he needed to admit Liverpool played very well for the first 30 mins in second half. I actually thought Man Utd edged it with chances in the first half. After 4 or 5 its a capitulation and the last couple of goals they conceded were embarrasing. Fernandez attitude was embarrassing also.

Also not sure what point Souness and Carragher were trying to make on Man Utd. They have had a really good upturn in performances and they mention the last 2 or 3 years? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Fernandez is European not Latino though? 

Is he not Argentinian? I was going by his surname.

I just looked him up - he’s Portuguese so may as well be a Latino. They have a similar attitude to the beautiful game.

Edited by Robbored
  • Hmmm 1

19 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Back to the match itself from a neutral perspective I agree with GN post match in all honesty but he needed to admit Liverpool played very well for the first 30 mins in second half. I actually thought Man Utd edged it with chances in the first half. After 4 or 5 its a capitulation and the last couple of goals they conceded were embarrasing. Fernandez attitude was embarrassing also.

Also not sure what point Souness and Carragher were trying to make on Man Utd. They have had a really good upturn in performances and they mention the last 2 or 3 years? 

I never seen to get Souness tbh. I would rather neutral pundits.

7 minutes ago, Super said:

I never seen to get Souness tbh. I would rather neutral pundits.

Broadcasters want pundits to disagree. That’s why you don’t see both Neville and Keane on at the same time but we do see Carragher and Neville and yesterday it was Souness who all we all know was a top Liverpool player.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1