IGNORED

Blackpool fan killed at weekend

BS15_RED

1 minute ago, BS15_RED said:

https://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/news/2023/march/06/club-statement/
Really sad to hear this, no one should lose their life going to support their team. Hopefully more details will come out and we can have a minutes applause for him on Saturday. RIP.

I read something about this on Twitter yesterday…there was a lot of speculation at the time as to what had happened. 

Condolences to his family and friends. 

This is most certainly not in the same league as this awful and tragic news, nevertheless, it is a related sickening and shameful reflection on our Club. I sometimes reach out to away fans, via their forums, to help inform the match thread. I got this response a couple of days ago from a Blackpool fan.

‘Hi, at the end of the 2001/2 season City came to Bloomfield Road on a promotion charge; Blackpool scrapping to avoid a relegation battle to the bottom division. City came in large numbers. The 5 -1 score line derailed City badly. Unfortunately, the behaviour of some of the Bristol fans was humiliating to their club. I was with my daughters aged 7 and 5 and we got attacked by about 10 City fans outside the ground (wholly unprovoked or stimulated) - until some older City fans (mainly older couples) stepped in (which I will always be grateful for). My girls were shaking and trembling, seeking protection behind my back. I had a bloody nose and bust lip. For that reason I see most of your support as the lowest life in the football league, having no ethics or integrity. You have a lovely city but Rovers are the only team I can respect and always come to Blackpool in larger 'nosier' numbers. That may be not what you wanted to hear but facts are facts, sorry. My son and his mate will be there on Saturday and I wish you all the best.‘

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Mad Cyril said:

For all the dialogue on this forum reminiscing about the terrace culture of old, "running" other fans, taking home ends etc perhaps worth just considering.... Smacking another football fan for loving a team other than yours is a bit weird isn't it. Not big, not clever, not hard. Just wrong.

Agreed. Cringey as **** when you see people talking about it like its some military operation. Every club has them and they are losers. Hope they come down hard on the suspect. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

This is most certainly not in the same league as this awful and tragic news, nevertheless, it is a related sickening and shameful reflection on our Club. I sometimes reach out to away fans, via their forums, to help inform the match thread. I got this response a couple of days ago from a Blackpool fan.

‘Hi, at the end of the 2001/2 season City came to Bloomfield Road on a promotion charge; Blackpool scrapping to avoid a relegation battle to the bottom division. City came in large numbers. The 5 -1 score line derailed City badly. Unfortunately, the behaviour of some of the Bristol fans was humiliating to their club. I was with my daughters aged 7 and 5 and we got attacked by about 10 City fans outside the ground (wholly unprovoked or stimulated) - until some older City fans (mainly older couples) stepped in (which I will always be grateful for). My girls were shaking and trembling, seeking protection behind my back. I had a bloody nose and bust lip. For that reason I see most of your support as the lowest life in the football league, having no ethics or integrity. You have a lovely city but Rovers are the only team I can respect and always come to Blackpool in larger 'nosier' numbers. That may be not what you wanted to hear but facts are facts, sorry. My son and his mate will be there on Saturday and I wish you all the best.‘

Sadly, those 10 City fans were  proud of what they did that day, and doubtless they thought they did so " in the name of the club"!  :grr:

Edited by downendcity
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

For that reason I see most of your support as the lowest life in the football league, having no ethics or integrity

How does he come to that conclusion? It was obviously an unprovoked act by a bunch of cowards (who deserved a hiding themselves). But to conclude from that, that "most" of our support as the lowest life in the football leagues is ridiculous.

Are most of his clubs fans now the lowest life in the league due to this incident on the weekend? Of course they are not.

As for the fan that was killed (RIP) - hopefully this will make a few "bullies" think twice. 

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, TheReds said:

How does he come to that conclusion? It was obviously an unprovoked act by a bunch of cowards (who deserved a hiding themselves). But to conclude from that, that "most" of our support as the lowest life in the football leagues is ridiculous.

Are most of his clubs fans now the lowest life in the league due to this incident on the weekend? Of course they are not.

As for the fan that was killed (RIP) - hopefully this will make a few "bullies" think twice. 

Thought the same. The whole your rivals are better than you comes out so often in football. Surprised how he can remember what noises sets of fans make over others in similar situations (Promotion, relegation) I certainly can't!

We could say fact is PNE have a bigger home and away following. Actually a fact btw...

Edited by Kodjias Wrist

2 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

So they were attacked by City fans and City fans stepped in to help. Yet all of our fans are the lowest life in league football. 

We have scum. So do they, in all likelihood.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

City fans attacking 5 and 7 years olds? Seriously. I know wev’e got our share of idiots but I’m struggling with that one. Especially with the glowing praise of the gas who have also got a hooligan element. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TheReds said:

I was going to say apparently Burnley fans were allocated the Manchester which happens to all clubs travelling to Blackpool but it was Blackpool fans who attacked them now 2 wrongs and all that but come on to call our fans scum -stones in glass houses and yes sorry you had to put up with shit behaviour from our idiots but don’t tar everyone with that brush mind 

Edited by Magger1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Soon as he said “most of your support” I just stopped reading to be honest.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

https://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/news/2023/march/06/club-statement/
Really sad to hear this, no one should lose their life going to support their team. Hopefully more details will come out and we can have a minutes applause for him on Saturday. RIP.

Depends what the story is, if it’s what it’s rumoured to be I won’t be applauding anyone on Saturday tbh.

• Like 4

Repugnant. Those that involve themselves in this shite tar everyone else. 

As for us, I don't buy the we need our own element to step in - pure crap. Anyone serious is out of sight and only the green street brigade are dumb enough to give it "large"

When I was 15 I got smashed in the skull with a crowbar from behind by a group of five of ours who decided I was clearly a threat as they j jumped from the bushes on Wineterstoke - disfigured for life but could of been worse. 

• Sad 4

49 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Depends what the story is, if it’s what it’s rumoured to be I won’t be applauding anyone on Saturday tbh.

I wasn’t aware of the full facts when I started this thread, the tributes I read didn’t make the deceased sound like a Hooligan, if it turns out that he was then I won’t be applauding either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Percy Pig said:

I guess, trying to put myself in their shoes, if my two boys were subjected to what he described melodramatics and exaggeration would be the minimum emotion I would feel against the supporters of the team who did that. He's clearly wrong logically, but I guess that's understandable. Can't think of anything more emotionally scarring as a Dad than for your kids to be in a situation like that. 

Yep, agree with that but that means I would be less inclined to take his opinion seriously in terms of being embarrassed that most of our fanbase are low life scum. I would just take his view for what it is……..emotive based on one bad experience:

5 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Agreed. Cringey as **** when you see people talking about it like its some military operation. Every club has them and they are losers. Hope they come down hard on the suspect. 

The difference with the 70s hooligans was that 99% would not have been carrying any weapons, today unfortunately that's not the case the worse that happened was you got a black eye or wounded pride now you can lose your life.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, pillred said:

The difference with the 70s hooligans was that 99% would not have been carrying any weapons, today unfortunately that's not the case the worse that happened was you got a black eye or wounded pride now you can lose your life.

The trouble is that is the same even if you take football out of it. Remember when a fight was a fight and that was it. Now I'd be more scared of getting knifed, bottled, kicked in the head seems to accepted now as normal behaviour or a whole gang having a go at one  or two people - that's before anything that happens after the incident.

You can see what's coming with this story already, which will be "football has major problem". Conveniently forgetting all the trouble, violence, crime riddled streets of the UK day in day out - forget all that though, it will all be about ALL football fans being hooligans and violent.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, pillred said:

Granted I wasn't alive back in the 70s but this doesn't sound accurate based on stories I've heard from people who were over the years, or from what I have read in the likes of Hoolifan and the CSF and Soul Crew books. Knives were absolutely carried by firms back then and stabbings or slashing not uncommon. Bricks, concrete, skips being emptied, baseball bats etc all talked about. Most say it was far more wild back then. And that's before we get onto the likes of Heysel.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Granted I wasn't alive back in the 70s but this doesn't sound accurate based on stories I've heard from people who were over the years, or from what I have read in the likes of Hoolifan and the CSF and Soul Crew books. Knives were absolutely carried by firms back then and stabbings or slashing not uncommon. Bricks, concrete, skips being emptied, baseball bats etc all talked about. Most say it was far more wild back then. And that's before we get onto the likes of Heysel.

Yes, it was far worse back then. I remember the lumps of concrete being thrown at Swindon, numerous stabbings, slashings etc, darts being thrown. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whatever the circumstances it is desperately sad and my thoughts are with the family of the man that died. It is however, even worse if he was an innocent bystander. If as some people are implying, he was part of a Blackpool mob that attacked a Burnley pub, he would have been aware of the risks associated with that behaviour. As I said, I'm not trying to make out it he deserved this in any way, but perhaps a reminder for us of the need to control our passion when we are at matches.