IGNORED

Blackpool fan killed at weekend

BS15_RED

18 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

They also are used to justify the oppressive measures that football fans have to put up with at games. Heavy handed policing and in-ground restrictions. 

Whether it's near grounds or miles away in an organised tear-up, people fighting in the name of football teams tarnish the sport and harm its reputation with others.

Even if no "civillians" are caught in the crossfire, those of us who go to watch football rather than to dress up as nondies and grapple with other men, suffer the consequences. 

Indeed, as I pointed out in my earlier post. 

There are always consequences and those that have to have their lives affected in a negative way because of their selfish actions.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

That’s weird, I’ve spent 350 weekends here (and the weekdays in between), I’ve never seen a single incident in person.

I lived there for 19 years and saw zero pub fights, whereas I've witnessed a fair few in the small country towns of Somerset since my return.

Had me bike nicked in London, but then, had my car nicked in Bournemouth and flat burgled in Southampton before then.  Crimes have increased at a slower rate in London than the English average, according to the ONS. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I lived there for 19 years and saw zero pub fights, whereas I've witnessed a fair few in the small country towns of Somerset since my return.

Had me bike nicked in London, but then, had my car nicked in Bournemouth and flat burgled in Southampton before then.  Crimes have increased at a slower rate in London than the English average, according to the ONS. 

It’s a funny narrative to me, I won’t suggest it’s politically based, but at a minimum is obviously fuelled by slapdash journalists that get paid to knock up 5 controversial/click bait articles per day. 

I don’t really care enough to find sources but I’ve read, from peer reviewed studies in accredited journals, that the knife crime, per 100,000 people, is worse in New York (considering they also have guns), and about half a dozen other countries in Europe. I’m much more included to believe these studies that take months, if not years, to produce, rather than some more.. questionable sources.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Is your middle name ‘Lucky’? 

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Bloody hell, what a day you had there.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

They also are used to justify the oppressive measures that football fans have to put up with at games. Heavy handed policing and in-ground restrictions. 

Whether it's near grounds or miles away in an organised tear-up, people fighting in the name of football teams tarnish the sport and harm its reputation with others.

Even if no "civillians" are caught in the crossfire, those of us who go to watch football rather than to dress up as nondies and grapple with other men, suffer the consequences. 

It boils my piss that one man's brawl is another man's freedom curtailed; I avoid certain games becuase of this.    We should dig a big hole, name it the 1980's, throw all the wannabe hoolies into the hole and let them fight it out until one remains, and we will crown that hoolies team the loser. 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Is your middle name ‘Lucky’? 

Shit car. Did me a favour. Re: the flat: they took 5 French francs, drank some vodka (but didn't take the bottle) and took a cassette of Sonic Temple by The Cult (which was also shit). My flatmate by comparison lost £400 in holiday money.

I did like the bike though. ?

46 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Shit car. Did me a favour. Re: the flat: they took 5 French francs, drank some vodka (but didn't take the bottle) and took a cassette of Sonic Temple by The Cult (which was also shit). My flatmate by comparison lost £400 in holiday money.

I did like the bike though. ?

Edie (Ciao Baby) was excellent but the rest of the album was unexciting.

I read that they had a new drummer for that album and whilst he was excellent he was more of an orthodox rock drummer so they sounded heavy metal whereas their previous drummer had more swing making them sound more unique.

Guns and Roses also lost their unique sound when they gave their original drummer the push.

19 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Edie (Ciao Baby) was excellent but the rest of the album was unexciting.

I read that they had a new drummer for that album and whilst he was excellent he was more of an orthodox rock drummer so they sounded heavy metal whereas their previous drummer had more swing making them sound more unique.

Guns and Roses also lost their unique sound when they gave their original drummer the push.

In view of what could've been taken, I got off lightly.

Sunday afternoon break-in.  They got in through a bathroom window that only a small child or midget would've been able to clamber through. 

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Sunday afternoon break-in.  They got in through a bathroom window that only a small child or midget would've been able to clamber through. 

An old workmate had all of his kids' presents stolen from under the tree just before Christmas one year, he said his reaction alternated between rage and crying.

From the few people I know who have been burgled it seems to be mainly sheer bad luck and partly your physical environment - how accessible is your home and how likely can they be unobserved.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

A regurgitation of far right media tropes against a slightly left leaning Muslim mayor. 

I am Jack's lack of surprise.

Edit: post and topic is slightly political, apologies to the forum police who's day that will ruin.

Number of police recorded knife or sharp instrument offences in London from 2015/16 to 2021/22

2021/22 11,122
2020/21 10,150
2019/20 15,928
2018/19 14,902
2017/18 14,731
2016/17 12,077
2015/16 9,752

Yes nothing to see here! Its all the far rights fault 
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Some blokes like fighting and football offers an opportunity to do that in company.

It's okay to disapprove as there are plenty of negative consequences from it but I don't see why it's particularly "pathetic" and how their age matters.

Is it perfectly fine for a teenager or adult to spend hours a day on a games console? That's something I would regard as pathetic personally.

Growing up, video games were a safe space for me in an abusive home (more emotional than physical)

I stayed in on video games while the people I'd call my mates went out and caused trouble, took drugs and generally set themselves on the wrong path for life. most of those people I still know, have done very little with their lives.

I learned communication skills through gaming, I learned about other cultures and people. I joined teams and then learned to build websites due to the interest I had in it. I also experimented with Photoshop, recording of game footage and video editing. Gaming in my teenage years, although I'd say I was probably borderline addicted, definitely set me up with skills that have served me well in my career.

It's also now possible to make a decent living through streaming, content creation, walkthroughs and gaming guides etc. I think YouTube and the explosion of streaming came just a bit too late for me.

I can't even be arsed to argue the first part, but I thought that last comment was worth picking up on. If nothing else, having a hobby that you enjoy is far from pathetic.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Banjo Red said:

Sadly every club has these idiots they just need to **** off and let real fans enjoy the game as it's supposed to be. If they want a punch up go do it on your own time and not in the name of any football team. Stamp out racism and stamp out hooliganism.

Spot on.  It always amuses me when a set of fans point the finger at another club, because their fans have been involved in an "incident" - I don't think there's a club in the league that is entitled to throw the first stone.  Sadly, I think that FV is on the increase, for quite a few years it was mainly a lot of shouting and gesturing between rival groups, seems to be an increase in actual physical exchanges in the last couple of seasons. Maybe the UK should introduce a "One Punch" law, which seems to have been effective in Australia. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Protected by a silver spoon..?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, redkev said:

Spend a weekend in London , mainly post code gang wars but loads of bike / watch thefts etc going on in broad daylight by youths on mopeds , 10 times worse than football problems but all brushed under the carpet by the corrupt mayor Khan 

BS... stop reading the Daily Mail. I work in the centre of London and have commuted in for over 20 years, often coming home at night from London Bridge and Victoria via West End tube lines in various states of inebriation and never felt unsafe. London is no different to any major city with its social issues, indeed Bristol seems to be having enough of gang related grief these days. Funny how the line is always about the corrupt Mayor Khan.... I wonder why...It's never about his predecessor the definitely corrupt Mayor Johnson

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Growing up, video games were a safe space for me in an abusive home (more emotional than physical)

I stayed in on video games while the people I'd call my mates went out and caused trouble, took drugs and generally set themselves on the wrong path for life. most of those people I still know, have done very little with their lives.

I learned communication skills through gaming, I learned about other cultures and people. I joined teams and then learned to build websites due to the interest I had in it. I also experimented with Photoshop, recording of game footage and video editing. Gaming in my teenage years, although I'd say I was probably borderline addicted, definitely set me up with skills that have served me well in my career.

It's also now possible to make a decent living through streaming, content creation, walkthroughs and gaming guides etc. I think YouTube and the explosion of streaming came just a bit too late for me.

I can't even be arsed to argue the first part, but I thought that last comment was worth picking up on. If nothing else, having a hobby that you enjoy is far from pathetic.

And you are absolutely entitled to your opinion.

As I am to mine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Only with respect to hooligans as couched in the lazy monotone pen portraits of people like @KegCity above.

Watch a few minutes of the cued up Bill Gardner interview if you would like to develop a more informed and nuanced view.

And he certainly would never have described himself as a hooligan and would actively have rejected the term.

You actually trying to say Bill Gardner wasn’t a hooligan? ? he might not describe himself that way, but that’s what he is/was.

Being grateful for your teams firm being there seems such a fallacy to me. You wouldn’t need them if their like didn’t exist in the first place - and don’t for one minute think there wasn’t an innocent fan somewhere else being saved from Bill Gardners lot at some point.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

You actually trying to say Bill Gardner wasn’t a hooligan? ? he might not describe himself that way, but that’s what he is/was.

Being grateful for your teams firm being there seems such a fallacy to me. You wouldn’t need them if their like didn’t exist in the first place - and don’t for one minute think there wasn’t an innocent fan somewhere else being saved from Bill Gardners lot at some point.

The world is however as it is; and not as we would like it to be.

1 hour ago, bexhill reds said:

BS... stop reading the Daily Mail. I work in the centre of London and have commuted in for over 20 years, often coming home at night from London Bridge and Victoria via West End tube lines in various states of inebriation and never felt unsafe. London is no different to any major city with its social issues, indeed Bristol seems to be having enough of gang related grief these days. Funny how the line is always about the corrupt Mayor Khan.... I wonder why...It's never about his predecessor the definitely corrupt Mayor Johnson

Firstly I don’t read the daily mail , 

and to compare Bristol crime with London your living in cloud cookoo land my friend , you are right all towns and cities have there problems , Perhaps you have been lucky over that period I don’t know , me & my wife go to London fairly often for the weekend and have done over the last 5-10 years , we have seen more incidents in the last 18 months ( mainly mugging type incidents and bike thefts but also youths chasing youths through the streets. My point was anyway that people will jump on the football hooligans as if it’s returned and fans are running amok throughout the country . But nothing being said about the new breed of young social rats with there I want I want culture hence stealing of bikes , watches , mugging etc . 
by the way there are many sites & news reels reporting stabbings , mugging etc in London if you wish to look .

As for Khan I have no words .

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

That’s weird, I’ve spent 350 weekends here (and the weekdays in between), I’ve never seen a single incident in person.

What’s your name mayor Khan , 

so if you haven’t seen any that must mean there isn’t any . Ok ? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, redkev said:

What’s your name mayor Khan , 

so if you haven’t seen any that must mean there isn’t any . Ok ? 

Having lived in London for a decade it very much depends where you live.  There isn't one London anymore than there is one Bristol.  There are many.

I lived and worked in the City of London.  It even has its own police force and is extremely safe and quiet,  When I lived there it was almost entirely deserted on Saturdays and was entirely deserted on Sundays.  I would have no issue with walking home alone at midnight.

Similary some of the suburbs, Surbiton or Kingston for example, are nice quiet places to live.

I would not however have wandered around after dark in places like Neasden, Stockwell or Stratford either then or now.

@Marcus Aurelius must live in a nice part of London.  They do exist.

Just now, redkev said:

Firstly I don’t read the daily mail , 

and to compare Bristol crime with London your living in cloud cookoo land my friend , you are right all towns and cities have there problems , Perhaps you have been lucky over that period I don’t know , me & my wife go to London fairly often for the weekend and have done over the last 5-10 years , we have seen more incidents in the last 18 months ( mainly mugging type incidents and bike thefts but also youths chasing youths through the streets. My point was anyway that people will jump on the football hooligans as if it’s returned and fans are running amok throughout the country . But nothing being said about the new breed of young social rats with there I want I want culture hence stealing of bikes , watches , mugging etc . 
by the way there are many sites & news reels reporting stabbings , mugging etc in London if you wish to look .

As for Khan I have no words .

Not directly comparing as you can’t due to population size merely just stating that Bristol is no different in some respects. All big cities have their fair share of issues and all proportionate to their size and population make up. You’ve undermined your argument with the lazy reference to Khan, that perhaps whilst unintentionally made, does associate itself to certain groups, and I can’t say that a periodic weekend tripper to London can really judge what Khan does or doesn’t do, unless of course that view comes from some of the sites about “London News” you refer to.

4 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Having lived in London for a decade it very much depends where you live.  There isn't one London anymore than there is one Bristol.  There are many.

I lived and worked in the City of London.  It even has its own police force and is extremely safe and quiet,  When I lived there it was almost entirely deserted on Saturdays and was entirely deserted on Sundays.  I would have no issue with walking home alone at midnight.

Similary some of the suburbs, Surbiton or Kingston for example, are nice quiet places to live.

I would not however have wandered around after dark in places like Neasden, Stockwell or Stratford either then or now.

@Marcus Aurelius must live in a nice part of London.  They do exist.

I live in Bow and often travel back, drunk, from Stratford to Langdon Park, without ever feeling worried, or ever seeing a problem. I’ve also lived in High Barnet, Willesden (just off of ‘the’ Church Road). If anything it’s the nice areas where there is trouble at night. I’ve certainly seen more trouble in my time in Bristol. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BS30 City said:

Number of police recorded knife or sharp instrument offences in London from 2015/16 to 2021/22

2021/22 11,122
2020/21 10,150
2019/20 15,928
2018/19 14,902
2017/18 14,731
2016/17 12,077
2015/16 9,752

Yes nothing to see here! Its all the far rights fault 

Not that common, but in comparison to other countries its actually not that bad at all.

For eg, there are more stabbing deaths in America per capita than UK (7.5 times more)

Per capita there are 0.08 stabbing deaths per 100k people in UK,

South Africa that number is 16.95.

Brazil 4.56

In Europe, highest is Estonia (if you dont include Russia) at 1.59

Bulgaria 0.67

USA 0.60

Turkey 0.57

Finland 0.55

Poland 0.49

Canada 0.49

Austrailia 0.48

Spain 0.36

France 0.20

Italy 0.18

Ireland 0.16

UK 0.08

So more than twice as likely to die from being stabbed in France/Italy, 3 times more in Spain, 6 times more in Canada, 7.5 times more in USA.

Source

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

I live in Bow and often travel back, drunk, from Stratford to Langdon Park, without ever feeling worried, or ever seeing a problem. I’ve also lived in High Barnet, Willesden (just off of ‘the’ Church Road). If anything it’s the nice areas where there is trouble at night. I’ve certainly seen more trouble in my time in Bristol. 

Tbf the only place I've been in recent years, maybe the last five where I haven't got about much, where I thought "this is dog rough, I'm not hanging about here" was surprisingly Shepton Mallett on a Sunday afternoon.

That isn't a joke.  Though maybe I just caught it on an off day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Admin

Bit late to this, I’m with those who think it’s a strange position for Blackpool FC and any ‘official’ organisation to be showing such public condolences of this death.  If the guy has been an instigator of violence, then that’s the way the cookie crumbles, live by the sword, die by the sword, but don’t be lauded as a wonderful person.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

23 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Granted I wasn't alive back in the 70s but this doesn't sound accurate based on stories I've heard from people who were over the years, or from what I have read in the likes of Hoolifan and the CSF and Soul Crew books. Knives were absolutely carried by firms back then and stabbings or slashing not uncommon. Bricks, concrete, skips being emptied, baseball bats etc all talked about. Most say it was far more wild back then. And that's before we get onto the likes of Heysel.

I don't have figures but just from memory (I'm 66) and have followed city home and away for 50 years I can confidently say yes you may have had seats thrown at you and be pelted with coins and pieces of wood, piss and yes that's you Chelsea and Cardiff, but carrying a knife to a match back in those days would have been a rarity.

Edited by pillred
  • Like 2