IGNORED

Old Ashton Gate picture

Offside

28 minutes ago, Offside said:

Not sure if this has been posted on the forum before, but I saw this great photo on FB, taken from the flats before the Dolman was built. My great grandmother used to live in the flats and my dad said he remembered his uncles watching games from their balcony (but my dad claimed he always went in the ground to watch). 

I used to love those floodlights. 

Mods - any chance there could be a separate section for people to post old pics like this? There are threads with them every now and then and it would be good if they were all in one place. I find them fascinating. 

848E2990-3DE6-4AC0-9222-1364B41751EC.jpeg

What an awesome pic that is, magnificent! 

1 hour ago, Offside said:

Not sure if this has been posted on the forum before, but I saw this great photo on FB, taken from the flats before the Dolman was built. My great grandmother used to live in the flats and my dad said he remembered his uncles watching games from their balcony (but my dad claimed he always went in the ground to watch). 

Mods - any chance there could be a separate section for people to post old pics like this? There are threads with them every now and then and it would be good if they were all in one place. I find them fascinating. 

Would like to know the game. It’s rammed 

Those floodlights were first used in December 1966 against Wolves and Dolman opened circa 1970 so picture dated

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Jeez said:

Would love to get hold of a hi-res image of this:

rolling-stones-bristol-1982-1.jpg.webp.73357d81b57de2ff9b00cd7e80693ba5.webp

Thanks for this. What an awesome day. I was in the second row, Block B Dolman (insider knowledge, as soon as the gates opened I said to my mates follow me and we legged it across to the Dolman stand, overlooking the stage).

Not a fan of the grey grass. I presume this was before Jon got his crayons out?!?

(Great photo, btw)

15 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Thanks for this. What an awesome day. I was in the second row, Block B Dolman (insider knowledge, as soon as the gates opened I said to my mates follow me and we legged it across to the Dolman stand, overlooking the stage).

Amazing you experienced that gig Sir - been trying for years to get a high res image to blow up, print & frame.

It's a such fascinating combination of an iconic image in a place we call home.

43 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Would like to know the game. It’s rammed 

Her's my guess City v Man City 65-66 (first season back up)  .  First season we played in all red, the old stand was removed at the end of that season, and, if you look at players tunnel, there is no one standing over it, it looks like maybe a camera mounting and the game I'm on about was on MOTD.        And that, m'lud, rests the case for the defence !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

Anyone on here? 
poland away 89 

81BE9D54-0313-416A-BBB6-CE642E6FBE5D.jpeg

Not sure if he’s on the forum? Is an old friend of mine, we always went to the gate together, a little posse of us and to a lot of City away games when we were in the old 4th and 3rd division after the financial troubles and a few England games, haven’t seen or heard of him for a good few years now. ?⚪

• Robin 1

27 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Her's my guess City v Man City 65-66 (first season back up)  .  First season we played in all red, the old stand was removed at the end of that season, and, if you look at players tunnel, there is no one standing over it, it looks like maybe a camera mounting and the game I'm on about was on MOTD.        And that, m'lud, rests the case for the defence !

If you’re right, that was my first ever City game. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Have they replaced the grass in the centre circle and part of the 18 yard box? I'm guessing that's why it's darker.

It was the visitation from another world. I'm sure I remember it being on the news. The Ashton Gate Crop Circles! 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Like it. Found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPkdtqDGKXw

• Like 1