IGNORED

Old Ashton Gate picture

Offside

3 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Wow, Toshack, Rooks, Gordon Parr and Mike Gibson

and behind Toshes leg? looks like could be A Briggs to me, NO Cancel that Terry Bush now hot fav to be behind the leg

Edited by gl2

4 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, I think by that time Alec had been replaced by Speedy .

Alec and Terry are both in 68/69 team pic and Drysdale came from Hartlepool in July 69 at a mind bending transfer fee of........£11,000 reportedly; anyway heady days at the footie back then, watched all home games and many away, now :tv_horror:

7 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

There is a good book with loads of photos of the Gate through the years, out of print now I believe. 
With all the other ones, these photos always make me stop for a second look. 

Screenshot2023-03-14at11_15_27.png.b36ba739c513d822ebd1df9b589354a8.png

Screenshot2023-03-14at11_28_16.png.d8dcfca0642ae2ccd6b7cf998a8bfef9.png

Screenshot2023-03-14at11_29_36.png.745673ddfab68714b2b5c97c874000cf.png

For you young 'uns; all that water came from ONE night's rain.

• Thanks 1

Some very good memories from those pictures. Thanks to whoever compiled it.

My first match was at Ashton Gate up against the front railings behind the Covered End goal. Only the Cowshed, nothing on other two sides as main stand had all been demolished after Uncle Adolf had it removed thinking it was the BAC at Filton. One toilet block for up to 20,000 men. The few women after 1953 was at end of Williams.

So what became the Williams opened in 1952/3, Dolman in 1970, and Atyeo in early 1990's.

And now the almost complete rebuild giving us quality seating, toilets and refreshments.

Only similarity with the old days is that we are still not a fixture in the Top League! Oh well, one cannot get everything one wants for Christmas.

Edited by cidered abroad

On 13/03/2023 at 20:48, cidered abroad said:

Those floodlights were first used in December 1966 against Wolves and Dolman opened circa 1970 so picture dated

Yes I know, I was there in the shed, it was a night game obviously, everyone was crammed in and you could barely breathe. I think there was around 35,000 there, it was actually 28th December 1965 see on here  https://www.footballprogrammes.net/bristol-city-fc-c-97_104_158/bristol-city-v-wolves-1965-grand-floodlight-opening-p-37380.html

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Some very good memories from those pictures. Thanks to whoever compiled it.

My first match was at Ashton Gate up against the front railings behind the Covered End goal. Only the Cowshed, nothing on other two sides as main stand had all been demolished after Uncle Adolf had it removed thinking it was the BAC at Filton. One toilet block for up to 20,000 men. The few women after 1953 was at end of Williams.

So what became the Williams opened in 1952/3, Dolman in 1970, and Atyeo in early 1990's.

I was told the only reason ag didn't host any WC games in 1966 was because we only had a stand on one side of the pitch. The FA did visit and were happy with all the other conditions of the stadium.

• Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Yes I know, I was there in the shed, it was a night game obviously, everyone was crammed in and you could barely breathe. I think there was around 35,000 there, it was actually 28th December 1965 see on here  https://www.footballprogrammes.net/bristol-city-fc-c-97_104_158/bristol-city-v-wolves-1965-grand-floodlight-opening-p-37380.html

I went to Wolves the day before whe we got a 1-1 thanks to Big John. Their crowd was 32,526 and ours 36,183 when Danny Bartley made his debut. Wolves sneaked a winner.

On 13/03/2023 at 17:58, Jeez said:

Would love to get hold of a hi-res image of this:

rolling-stones-bristol-1982-1.jpg.webp.73357d81b57de2ff9b00cd7e80693ba5.webp

I was there, aged 17, we bunked in over the side of the East End turnstile blocks. My teenage garage punk band had just worked up a version of Jumping Jack Flash, and we figured this was a show we needed to show our faces at. 

Thanks for sharing the picture, superb memories. In fact, even better memory, I've just recalled I met this gorgeous bird from Bedminster that evening over by the park ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ciderhead433 said:

Thought that was spillage from the toilets

Remember when we would go to the back of east end just before 2 ( that’s when gates would open ) and hold the back gates apart ,slide through and hide in the bogs then soon as east end had a few in about a hundred of us would appear from bogs and mingle in :laugh:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magger1 said:

Remember when we would go to the back of east end just before 2 ( that’s when gates would open ) and hold the back gates apart ,slide through and hide in the bogs then soon as east end had a few in about a hundred of us would appear from bogs and mingle in :laugh:

Done that before when they were building the Dolman we used to climb over a wall and run up to the

East End

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ciderhead433 said:

Done that before when they were building the Dolman we used to climb over a wall and run up to the

East End

There used to be so many ways of sneaking in all over the ground, I remember a few of us sneaked in once, got bored because it was so early so we went out for a while and then sneaked back in ?

• Like 1